*** Official Kodi (née XBMC) Thread ***

APM

APM

Associate
Typically people would buy a Raspberry Pi 3, and instead of running Kodi as an application, they install LibreElec, this is a whole operating system that only does Kodi.

It's basically a super stripped down version of Linux that has drivers and has Kodi, not much else.

Thanks,

if I wanted to install it in a VM just to play about and see what it does,what kind of resources should i give it?

1GB drive and 1GB RAM would probably be overkill?

Better still,I'll go look at the install reqs on it's home page,lol.

Nope,can't see any reqs on there but I'm guessing 1GB of each would be plenty.

Caporegime
Thanks,

if I wanted to install it in a VM just to play about and see what it does,what kind of resources should i give it?

1GB drive and 1GB RAM would probably be overkill?

Better still,I'll go look at the install reqs on it's home page,lol.

Nope,can't see any reqs on there but I'm guessing 1GB of each would be plenty.

1-2 GB RAM and 8-12GB HDD

It depends entirely on what you are planning to do with it though

Soldato
OSMC vs. LibreElec?

Ex-OpenELec user here, no experience with either of the above. Just bought a Pi3, so contemplating which to try.

As a Newbie, not sure what Linux experience you have, but LibreELEC is purposely made to be a host OS for just Kodi and does a mighty fine job at doing that. If that meets your needs then just go with the latest version 8 of LibreELEC, just released, and that will work a treat with the Pi.

I always struggled a little with OSMC and had to tinker more to get updates etc, then again I'm hopeless with Linux and its syntax. I also found it to have more overheads and ran a little slower for my Kodi needs than LibreELEC.
I haven't tried OSMC for a little while but I didn't care much for their skin, although you could use Kodi's default, when I last used it.

LibreELEC is where most of OpenELEC devs went to and it has now matured nicely.

You can configure LibreELEC to have automatic updates as well.

Associate
As a Newbie, not sure what Linux experience you have, but LibreELEC is purposely made to be a host OS for just Kodi and does a mighty fine job at doing that. If that meets your needs then just go with the latest version 8 of LibreELEC, just released, and that will work a treat with the Pi.

I always struggled a little with OSMC and had to tinker more to get updates etc, then again I'm hopeless with Linux and its syntax. I also found it to have more overheads and ran a little slower for my Kodi needs than LibreELEC.
I haven't tried OSMC for a little while but I didn't care much for their skin, although you could use Kodi's default, when I last used it.

LibreELEC is where most of OpenELEC devs went to and it has now matured nicely.

You can configure LibreELEC to have automatic updates as well.

Perfect, thank you. I am indeed a Linux noob and want a nice clean Kodi installation with nothing more. LibreELEC it is then :)

Soldato
Perfect, thank you. I am indeed a Linux noob and want a nice clean Kodi installation with nothing more. LibreELEC it is then :)

Good luck. Maybe things might be different with OSMC as many have great results. But LibreELEC simply works and does a mighty fine job at doing so. Once installed and configured you can then use LibreELEC backup facility, as well as backing up of your library if you wish.

Associate
Good luck. Maybe things might be different with OSMC as many have great results. But LibreELEC simply works and does a mighty fine job at doing so. Once installed and configured you can then use LibreELEC backup facility, as well as backing up of your library if you wish.

Thought I'd leave another thank you out of courtesy, been running permanent since Saturday AM on my Pi3, thoroughly impressed with both Pi3 and LibreElec, far better than my previous OpenElec/Acer Revo RL70?MCE IR combo. Bluetooth on the PI3 plus Harmony Smart is very responsive. :)

Soldato
Thought I'd leave another thank you out of courtesy, been running permanent since Saturday AM on my Pi3, thoroughly impressed with both Pi3 and LibreElec, far better than my previous OpenElec/Acer Revo RL70?MCE IR combo. Bluetooth on the PI3 plus Harmony Smart is very responsive. :)

Great result.

I do tend to be influenced if I am buying a vanilla Kodi box, no transcoding etc, to take a look at what LibreELEC and the devs are supporting as to what to buy.
The Pi 3 and the Odroid C2 were both purchased with that in mind.

Associate
Great result.

I do tend to be influenced if I am buying a vanilla Kodi box, no transcoding etc, to take a look at what LibreELEC and the devs are supporting as to what to buy.
The Pi 3 and the Odroid C2 were both purchased with that in mind.

I got an Odroid C2 a while back for kodi and it has been great, I have been using the LibreElec build from the link below -

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=24923

I did not realise the Odroid C2 was now officially supported, wonder which is the best to use.

Associate
Does anyone use the Twitch Addon for Kodi? I have been lately but the twitch video is always slightly larger than the TV screen so I lose the edges. Kodi itself is fine for video playback and normal display, it is just the Twitch Addon that seems to have a problem. Anyone else noticed this or has a fix?

Soldato
I got an Odroid C2 a while back for kodi and it has been great, I have been using the LibreElec build from the link below -

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=24923

I did not realise the Odroid C2 was now officially supported, wonder which is the best to use.

From what I read when wrxtasy was asked the same question he suggested that the official build of LibreELRC was the more up to date and preferred one to use. Unless he pushes anything newer out which could make that different I'm happy enough with the official version, you then get the updates when they are released too.
There are also the release(s) done by Raybuntu.

Associate
From what I read when wrxtasy was asked the same question he suggested that the official build of LibreELRC was the more up to date and preferred one to use. Unless he pushes anything newer out which could make that different I'm happy enough with the official version, you then get the updates when they are released too.
There are also the release(s) done by Raybuntu.

Wrxtasy's builds have worked well up to now but think I will probably give the official Kodi a go then, not sure if I like the new layout of kodi 17 krypton though compared to the 16.1 confluence skin.

Soldato
Wrxtasy's builds have worked well up to now but think I will probably give the official Kodi a go then, not sure if I like the new layout of kodi 17 krypton though compared to the 16.1 confluence skin.

I think that it took me a while to get used to the Estuary skin, considering how many years that I was using a Confluence type version. However I do now like it, but it doesn't have media info type views for TV shows, and I liked that. You can#t also remove favourites from the main menu via the context button, you could do that with Confluence.

Associate
I think that it took me a while to get used to the Estuary skin, considering how many years that I was using a Confluence type version. However I do now like it, but it doesn't have media info type views for TV shows, and I liked that. You can#t also remove favourites from the main menu via the context button, you could do that with Confluence.

You can change to the confluence skin in Krypton 17.

Soldato
You can change to the confluence skin in Krypton 17.

Thanks and that was something that I did when I first tried out the early 17 builds. However I have got kinda used to the Estuary vertical feel now and for a default skin it seems to do a mighty fine job.

I still need to flip to Confluence to remove favourites though, if I have forgotten to remove them in the TV listing before deleting them.

Associate
Thanks and that was something that I did when I first tried out the early 17 builds. However I have got kinda used to the Estuary vertical feel now and for a default skin it seems to do a mighty fine job.

I still need to flip to Confluence to remove favourites though, if I have forgotten to remove them in the TV listing before deleting them.

I had to change back as the family were use to confluence they could not get away with Estuary.

Back
Top Bottom