*** Official Kodi (née XBMC) Thread ***

Associate
Great stuff. Hopefully my Orchid C2 will automatically update, or I'll do it manually later.
Always good having a device which is supported by LibreELEC.

I finally made the switch on my C2 to the official LibreElec build and switched to the confluence skin, the new 17 default skin just seems to cluttered for my liking. The only problem I have is stopping that flashing blue LED! Have you found a way to turn it off? I can turn it off manually using SSH and Putty but have to repeat everytime I reboot the device. The old builds from Wrxtasy turned it off by default.

Soldato
I finally made the switch on my C2 to the official LibreElec build and switched to the confluence skin, the new 17 default skin just seems to cluttered for my liking. The only problem I have is stopping that flashing blue LED! Have you found a way to turn it off? I can turn it off manually using SSH and Putty but have to repeat everytime I reboot the device. The old builds from Wrxtasy turned it off by default.

I have always used either black insulation tape or a felt tip marker to resolve my LED / Diode issues with various devices. Our BR player has a beacon, but that was resolved with some tape :)

Your way seems far more elegant, maybe wrxtasy could help, but mine worked :)

I need to edit lircd.conf for my C2 as the Panasonic remote keeps turning the C2 off when I want to turn off the TV.

maj

maj

Soldato
I was contemplating upgrading my Pi 2 to a Pi 3 but then remembered about the C2. More expensive but does have better hardware and the CPU can decode X265 codec which the Pi 3 can't it seems. Is C2 worth buying? I'll only be using it as a HTPC with LibreELEC on it.

What's the annoying blue light? Is it part of the C2?

Soldato
I was contemplating upgrading my Pi 2 to a Pi 3 but then remembered about the C2. More expensive but does have better hardware and the CPU can decode X265 codec which the Pi 3 can't it seems. Is C2 worth buying? I'll only be using it as a HTPC with LibreELEC on it.

I have the Pi3 and the C2. I bought the C2 with a 16GB eMMC card (faster than a micro SD) and it is faster and more responsive than the Pi3 in general use, not by a huge margin but it was noticeable when I changed over. Around 9 second boot time from putting it on to the Estuary desktop. In fact it has booted before my TV has finished powering on and switching channels. The x265 hardware decoding alone makes it a better choice over the Pi.
The only issue that I was aware of before I bought it is that the kernel support is not as developed as the Pi, meaning that some exotic USB devices might struggle a little.

With my Pi3 the Turtle Beach USB sound stick works amazingly well, with Optical out. But it does crackle a little with the C2. So instead of using that for optical out I used a HDMI audio extractor and that works great.

The fact that the C2 was supported officially by the LibreELEC team and they have their own support forum, which is active, gave me the confidence to buy one.

The blue light is just an activity diode which is blue in colour, doesn't really bother me and there are solutions for it.

I suppose you just have to make sure that the cost and the additional benefits of the C2 outweigh that of the humongous Pi support, if limited hardware by comparison.

Last edited:

maj

maj

Soldato
I have the Pi3 and the C2. I bought the C2 with a 16GB eMMC card (faster than a micro SD) and it is faster and more responsive than the Pi3 in general use, not by a huge margin but it was noticeable when I changed over. Around 9 second boot time from putting it on to the Estuary desktop. In fact it has booted before my TV has finished powering on and switching channels. The x265 hardware decoding alone makes it a better choice over the Pi.
The only issue that I was aware of before I bought it is that the kernel support is not as developed as the Pi, meaning that some exotic USB devices might struggle a little.

With my Pi3 the Turtle Beach USB sound stick works amazingly well, with Optical out. But it does crackle a little with the C2. So instead of using that for optical out I used a HDMI audio extractor and that works great.

The fact that the C2 was supported officially by the LibreELEC team and they have their own support forum, which is active, gave me the confidence to buy one.

The blue light is just an activity diode which is blue in colour, doesn't really bother me and there are solutions for it.

I suppose you just have to make sure that the cost and the additional benefits of the C2 outweigh that of the humongous Pi support, if limited hardware by comparison.

Yikes at the prices of those eMMC cards. Think I'll stick with normal but high-class SD cards otherwise it will get too costly for just using Kodi with. Noticed that unlike the Pi3 the C2 doesn't come with wifi or bluetooth so I'd also need to budget for adapters (ethernet would be hard wired at a later date).

Is the blue light on the circuit board? Was tempted to get a transparent case which would make it quite visible.

For the C2 excluding any adapters (so C2, case and PSU) I'm looking at £64. For the same with the Pi 3 I'm looking at £54. So not much in it knowing that the C2 has more features better hardware but not the same level of support and following.

Soldato
Yikes at the prices of those eMMC cards. Think I'll stick with normal but high-class SD cards otherwise it will get too costly for just using Kodi with. Noticed that unlike the Pi3 the C2 doesn't come with wifi or bluetooth so I'd also need to budget for adapters (ethernet would be hard wired at a later date).

Is the blue light on the circuit board? Was tempted to get a transparent case which would make it quite visible.

For the C2 excluding any adapters (so C2, case and PSU) I'm looking at £64. For the same with the Pi 3 I'm looking at £54. So not much in it knowing that the C2 has more features better hardware but not the same level of support and following.

It is "nice" to have the eMMC card but it is not necessary over that of a MicroSD. And yes you are right they aren't that cheap, especially as you will have a card already. I hadn't thought about BT or WiFi as I use neither, having it wired by Ethernet and not using BT.

You can see the blue light here....

took me ages to capture that as it does flash with the activity of the C2.

A bit of tape or a black marker would sort it out :)

Mine is powered not by the Micro USB port but by the power port. If you do that you have to remove an onboard jumper and this reduces its power draw and heat quite a bit. You leave the jumper in place if using the micro USB method of power.

Associate

Vimes pretty much summed it up tbh, if you want a device purely for an HTPC then really I don't see any reason now why the Pi 3 would be a better choice. The fact the C2 does x265 using hardware and the Pi can't is going to become more and more useful as time goes on. The C2 is also now officially supported by the LibreElec developers as well. The blue flashing light can be turned off manually and there are builds of Kodi 17 that already disable it by default (Wrxstays), would not surprise me if it is put in to the official builds at some point.

I am using a class 10 uSD card and its still plenty quick enough, menus are snappy in responce, I would n't worry about getting an MMC card tbh.

The only reason I would get the Pi is if you want to use it for other projects as well like RetroPie etc, then you have a choice to make.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im just returning to Kodi after being away from it for a number of years and Im impressed with how its changed. Unfortunately my memory isn't great so its a bit like starting all over again! Im looking for recommendations from people for skins and or builds for Krypton? Also for what method people use for Kodi. At the moment I have it on my phone, my computer and on a Amazon Firestick. I also have a chromecast which I use in conjunction with the phone. My media is on a MyBook World drive on my network. I have two tvs - main one in the living room and and a smaller one in my media room which also houses my projector. Ideally Id want all three to have kodi attached. At the moment the Firestick moves from room to room but or I cast from the phone but Im looking for more permanent solutions.

What budget methods would people recommend? Is the firestick the best at that price point or should I up the budget to the fire TV or some other? Ive also seen people discussing retro gaming builds, is that a banned topic on here? If not what would be the best budget means for that? If it is please ignore.

Soldato
Hi guys after a bit of help, my HTPC (specs below) was running 7.0.3 and CEC was working fine, switched off when TV was and woke up when TV was turned back on, however when I updated to 8.0.0 it stopped waking from suspend (it still goes to suspend when the TV is turned off) and I have no idea why.

I've updated to 8.0.1 and the problem remains, I've also updated the Pulse-Eight firmware to the latest.

I've seen posts saying there are issues with Pi's but does it extend to any other hardware or is there a Linux setting I need to change?

Thanks.

Samsung UE55F6670
Pulse8 CEC
Intel Pentium G620
Biostar H61MLC
GT 710

Associate
So how do I completely wipe Kodi and reinstall?

Tried just uninstalling and reinstalling but keeps settings/builds... Can't use 'Fresh Start' as the repo is down :(.

You need to delete the kodi folders in program files.
I had a similar problem on a Mac but even deleting the folders had no effect.
Had to do a fresh start.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
After deleting a few more posts containing addons, a friendly reminder not to do so please.

We've discussed the few ruining it before; since then thankfully the new forum software has a thread ban option so any addons posted will simply ban that user from the thread and not cause the thread to disappear again.

Back
Top Bottom