***Official Left 4 Dead 2 Thread***

Soldato
My steam crashed this morning. Looks like everything is corrupt. So now I'm re-downloading everything because I never got round to making a backup. :(

'Everything'? How can that be.

I suspect you could just move your apps folder, re-install steam, and then put your apps folder back?

Soldato
Originally Posted by garboinc said:
"More information about the Demo - Reasoning for Delay, updates, etc.
posted by Killz2much Now On Windows 7 @ 08:02PM on October 27, 2009
So many of you might be mad or outraged about the early access demo being delayed. Many of you may think Valve was being lazy or they ****** something up but I got in a word with Mike Blaszczak of Valve over Steam. He gave me the 411 on the reasoning behind its delay.

mike is now Away.
mike is now Online.
Killz2much Now On Windows 7: Hey Mike, I hope you don't mind but I just wanted to know something. What exactly happened with the L4D2 servers that made this demo be delayed for 10 hours?
mike: The servers? What do you mean?
Killz2much Now On Windows 7: I read on the Steam forums that the demo was delayed because of some "critical error" with the servers.
mike: I haven't heard such a thing.
mike: We found some bugs during last-minute testing that we decided to fix.
mike: If someone is telling you something else, you should ask them for details.
mike: They're probably making it up, and so there's no way for me to explain what everyone else says.
Killz2much Now On Windows 7: It was a thread on the Steam forums, I don't know the person.
Killz2much Now On Windows 7: But thanks for clearing that up.
Killz2much Now On Windows 7: Thanks, Mike.
mike: On the forums, you don't need to know them to ask them a question.
Killz2much Now On Windows 7: True and I did ask but the threads in the Left 4 Dead 2 section are in a storm of rage that it's impossible to get an answer.
Killz2much Now On Windows 7: But anyway, thank you.
mike: Sure.

This means the bugs present in the 360 demo will NOT be present in the PC demo. This also explains why there was a blank update just recently for Steam. It updated the Demo files for the patches which is why some of the files are not encrypted.

Also Jason from Valve had this to say.

"As you've already seen, the dedicated server files for the Left 4 Dead 2 Demo are now available. The game name is left4dead2_demo. We're still doing some final checks for the client, but that should be going live soon."

-Jason

I'd take the above with a pinch of salt but it does seem a reasonable explanation, still would have been decent of Valve to inform us about the delay a fair bit sooner...

Last edited:
Soldato
'Everything'? How can that be.

I suspect you could just move your apps folder, re-install steam, and then put your apps folder back?

Should have tried that, I saw there was a problem and I foolishly decided to re-install the steam client straight away. Didn't realise that it would delete everything in the process.... :o

Soldato
Should have tried that, I saw there was a problem and I foolishly decided to re-install the steam client straight away. Didn't realise that it would delete everything in the process.... :o

Don't worry you're not the only one. I've done it in the past, but strangley it's something you only do once :p

Last edited:
Soldato
It said the same thing this time yesterday for last night... :(

EDIT: Currently downloading server files for ocuk1+2 demo servers. We should have 3 ocuk servers up and running this evening if all goes well. :)

Good Man!
Looking forward to a game tonight!
...I was looking forward to a game this morning aswell! :(

Permabanned
Am I able to join the OCUK servers? Or are they passworded for existing L4D players?

Would love to join in on games that have teamwork to get the most out of the experience.

(Im now mlbtheshow in Steam to make it easier, and I joined the OCUK L4D players group too)

Soldato
Am I able to join the OCUK servers? Or are they passworded for existing L4D players?

Would love to join in on games that have teamwork to get the most out of the experience.

(Im now mlbtheshow in Steam to make it easier, and I joined the OCUK L4D players group too)
They are free to join but good luck trying to get on tonight. :p

Associate
Email reply? You have his email address? DON'T POST IT HERE, but could you give it to me through steam at some point please pookie? :)

You have never played a valve game with commentary enabled then...?

The very first comment is always from Gabe and he asks you to email him with comments and suggestions.

Shame on you Link... The in game commentary is pretty cool, worth checking out, especially if you have any interest in the way things work and why the things are the way they are. :confused: :p

Back
Top Bottom