***Official Left 4 Dead 2 Thread***

Soldato
Nice to see it's finally available ... look forward to playin with y'all tonight!

/went to fire it up just now and it's saying "This game is currently unavailable" boo hiss lol

*edit - decrypting now - bring on tonight :D

Last edited:
Soldato
What sort of spec to you need to run a campaign dedicated server? Would a 2ghz P4 and a gig of ram be enough or does the dedicated server require something more powerful?

(this is just for running over a LAN to try and take some load off whoever would normally host on their PC).

Associate
So, i start the demo, i get a lovely hd version of the recently leaked trailer...then back to desktop, where the demo re launches, and does the same thing....

Cept its now saying "incomplete installation of leftd4dead 2 demo"...

Gotta laugh havent you

Soldato
Played it through once last night. It was good, but the environment seemed a bit 'plain'. I don't know how else to describe it, the graphics just felt flat.

The new weapons are cool, otherwise I didn't really notice much difference.

Associate
I think performance wise it runs at about a third of the performance of L4D on my machine.Any one else notice this?
Its got a lot better graphics and maybe it will be better optimised in the full game.Getting ave of 35 fps.

Caporegime
Damn I went to bed at 12 thinking it wouldn't be unlocked til way into the night at least! lol

I also got "This game is currently unavailable" this morning, but restarted Steam manually & it's unlocking now :)

Tonight is gonna be fuuuuuun :cool:

Caporegime
lol played throught the "entire" demo with a mate in about 10 mins flat :( lol shame i could do with some more... At least some 4 player action tonight i hope.

Looks great, daytime at last. New weapons are a nice addition. Its like CS source + zombies now. Love the DE haha.

But at the end of the day... its L4d again if id payed more than 20 quid i would be just a bit miffed.

Soldato
That's a point. I got this for £20, which to me is only a little bit over the cost of an expansion pack (about £15 usually, right?), so I don't know how anyone can still complain about this being a full release (unless they paid more of course).

Soldato
Well, had my first run through and have to admit, I like it. Not that it was ever in any doubt :)

As ever, the levels have that kind of finish to them which is remarkably rare in a custom campaign - being an amateur mapper, you really notice that kind of thing. You can tell this was done by professionals. It's so difficult to give a level a "lived-in feeling".

Loving the new weapons. I'm a big shotgun fan, so the changes to the basic shotgun were a pleasant surprise. It's just meatier - that's the only word I can use to describe it. Melee weapons are...well, I'm not an in your face kinda hacker/slasher so it might take a while for me to full appreciate them. Running out of ammo with your main weapon and only having a machete left is a bit of a pickle when you're faced with a boomer.

The new bad guys are gonna be such a pain in the ass. Versus will be a whole new world of torture for the survivors - although boomer bile will make for some amusing moments as survivors.

The three weeks until release are going to be three very long weeks indeed.

Associate
Morning lads, bit of a mixed reaction from myself...

I like the new variety in weaponry (even if the Deagle is the size of Coach's belly lol). The melee weapons are a lot of fun, esp with adrenaline lol. The characters have some great lines/interaction with eachother. Rochelle when playing last night came out with "ST COLUMBUS that hurt!" in honour of The Anchorman. Genuinely lol'd.

The infected damaging is excellent too with the dismemberment as well as pipe bomb limb showers ^_^

It's a lot tougher on Expert which is what I wanted the most from this game but I think it may be at the expense of some of the excellent pacing/strategic viability of the first game. The new special infected seem overpowered (particular emphasis on the Spitter) and I know they were introduced to stop the corner/room tactics but frankly between it and the charger, I think it actually imbalances the game and things can just be a chaotic mess rather than a tactical effort more often than not.

Of course, this may just be a case of people running about like headless chickens looking for new stuff added in the game rather than the familiar, well practiced routes and strategies that developed in the first game haha.

I'm also not sold at all on the whole daytime thing. The lighting coupled with the large, open areas makes me feel like I'm not even playing the L4D I know and love anymore.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I went to bed at 11, but I had work today and other things to do ;)

Reading through everyones comments since the release it does sound awesome. The switch pistol for melee makes sense to me. When times got hard in L4D and you are running out of ammo and being swarmed by zombies everywhere you turn, the pistol just didnt cut mustard. Having a big *insert melee weapon of choice here* to start swinging close range and take out zombies just sounds awesome :)

I don't want it to go to quick tongiht, so I'm thinking of playing expert from the start. How much has the difficulty been ramped up though??

Baring in mind that the hardest thing about Expert in L4D was your ****ing team mates wasting your health!!

Ahh this evening is going to be gooood :) Least I know its at home waiting now rather than getting home to a big middle finger and "FU" from Valve!

Back
Top Bottom