***Official Left 4 Dead 2 Thread***

Soldato
Well I went to bed at 11, but I had work today and other things to do ;)

Reading through everyones comments since the release it does sound awesome. The switch pistol for melee makes sense to me. When times got hard in L4D and you are running out of ammo and being swarmed by zombies everywhere you turn, the pistol just didnt cut mustard. Having a big *insert melee weapon of choice here* to start swinging close range and take out zombies just sounds awesome :)

I don't want it to go to quick tongiht, so I'm thinking of playing expert from the start. How much has the difficulty been ramped up though??

Baring in mind that the hardest thing about Expert in L4D was your ****ing team mates wasting your health!!

Ahh this evening is going to be gooood :) Least I know its at home waiting now rather than getting home to a big middle finger and "FU" from Valve!

RE: Difficulty, it is hard to tell. Perhaps it was the unfamiliarity of the maps but I thought that Normal was quite hard! It didn't help though that my teammates were kicking, shooting, and slashing my behind though, especially when the charger was around.

I love the defibrillator. Came in really useful when I was (as was the norm with the bunch I played with) the last man standing. :rolleyes:

The jockey is a hoot......

I think the daylight detracts a little from the tension of L4D, but the pandemonium and adrenaline rush is still there, and I think, in greater measure.

It's a worthy sequel based on the quality of the demo.

Soldato
Loved the Auto Snipe as well and I never use sniper rifles in games.

Thought expert was rock hard. At one point I got tounged by a smoker and in about 5 seconds was down to 20 health.

The non-special infected can also come up to you and slap you a couple of times and you go down. Looking forward to getting better at it.:)

Associate
Went to turn the pc off at about 12:30 and noticed people playing it. had a game on my own last night. seemed solid.

Need to learn pros and cons of the weapons and how the new infected work togther etc, but seems pretty cool at the moment. Lot more musical. which was a little odd.

Wasnt keen on the melee weapons. just seemed laggy and ineffective. Especially dont like dropping a pistol for one. at the alarm stage on the second level i had an empty ak47 and a frying pan. not exatcly practical. i think dual wielding a pan and a pistol would be a better idea.

The new rifle is awesome, as is the magnum! love blasting holes in the infected.

Game ran really well, everything still on max and framerate still solid on a GTX260. So happy with that.

Need to play in versus for the real test of how the new specials balance out with the new weapons. i only had it on normal as i wanted to see the whole demo but it still felt very very easy. the specials just didnt have any effect. with human AI canonballing boomers off buildings and the like im sure it will work better :)

All in all, good stuff. up for a few games with you lot tonight.

Morning lads, bit of a mixed reaction from myself...

I like the new variety in weaponry (even if the Deagle is the size of Coach's belly lol). The melee weapons are a lot of fun, esp with adrenaline lol. The characters have some great lines/interaction with eachother. Rochelle when playing last night came out with "ST COLUMBUS that hurt!" in honour of The Anchorman. Genuinely lol'd.

The infected damaging is excellent too with the dismemberment as well as pipe bomb limb showers ^_^

It's a lot tougher on Expert which is what I wanted the most from this game but I think it may be at the expense of some of the excellent pacing/strategic viability of the first game. The new special infected seem overpowered (particular emphasis on the Spitter) and I know they were introduced to stop the corner/room tactics but frankly between it and the charger, I think it actually imbalances the game and things can just be a chaotic mess rather than a tactical effort more often than not.

Of course, this may just be a case of people running about like headless chickens looking for new stuff added in the game rather than the familiar, well practiced routes and strategies that developed in the first game haha.

I'm also not sold at all on the whole daytime thing. The lighting coupled with the large, open areas makes me feel like I'm not even playing the L4D I know and love anymore.

Thoughts?

OK, I don't think the infected are overpowered at all, infact they are vastly underpowered in the first game which removes a lot of the fun so I hope they stay as they are. I like the spitter as she is as it forces you to move. The charger appears to like to kill me, so if ur in my game ur safe. ;)

Daytime is on this campaign only I believe, gives a bit of change from usual Left 4 Dead campaigns and is a nice bit of fresh air.

Finally, I am sure tactics will develop as the game matures. It's new and people are still learning about the changes, give it time ;)

Soldato
any getting weird gfx coruptions? - kind of purple colours where the name tags of your team should be? tried changing loads of settings but nothing seems to clear it!

Soldato
Ok so had a couple of fun games this morning with everyone and I am just disappointed.....that it ended :D Honestly the two levels just made me want more, there is loads of wee touches that make it fresh.

I love the fact there seems to be an increased delay in firing with the new shotgun and also couple that with the fact you have stamina with the knockback can make things pretty hectic at times. As said above the Semi Auto Sniper Rifle is the SEX :D

One thing we found to be a problem though, especially on Expert is when you go inside another survivor in say a corner and as soon as you or they shoot someone is gonna be incapped. Sure this will be good to stop the whole camping in corners crap but really some collision detection between the survivors would help eliminate that problem. It can get quite frustrating as you really dont mean to do it.

The new infected however are great, that swat team zombie is a pain in the *** until you know what to do. The Specials are awesome as well, the spitter I really like tbh, the female boomer is grotesque, the charger is good and has limitations in terms of the environment and thus isnt OP.

The overhaul in terms of looks for the SI is hit and miss, dont like the new smoker, love the boomer and hunter though. Not sure about the baldy tank however :D he also seems to have taken a small speed hit so balancing I would assume there.

The inclusion of the new items, boomer bile is bloody cool, it ran out when we fought a tank though and the horde destroyed us haha! Then there is the adrenaline which is again a really cool inclusion and lastly the Difibulators, fantastic things to have and can certainly help in a tight spot. :)

I think it will be a lot harder this time round, it just seems to give out that vibe however it could just be the simple fact that most of us haven't played Expert campaigns in ages :D Cant wait til the 17th now.

Associate
I can't play the demo til i get back to england :( Some above mentioned that the corner/closet tactics are out, so what is in there place? Is it run and gun?

Soldato
That picture of the first one is set at night remember... ;)

Yeah, like all the levels from the first. Took me ages to totally lose the feeling that I couldn't see **** properley.

My first couple of run throughs lastnight the must have been on easy and I was a bit disappointed tbh. Then I joined a game that was on expert and I saw the light.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom