***Official Left 4 Dead 2 Thread***

Soldato
It's not his opinion it's the fact he gives no reason for it then wonders why someone asks him if he's trolling.

Yeh, this is basically why he is getting a service.

With regards to your points, Gecko, I completley agree with the zombie path finding. That's one thing I have not expresed on this forum, to be fair it's only happened a few times and it's been at the start of the second demo level for me.

(Outside the SH where there are chain link (no relation) fences). To be honest at the time I wasn't questioning it because it was on expert and it bought a few seconds to reload and sort my shizzle out :D

Graphically I think the daylight level looks good. Bare in mind its the only one and the first one valve have done. I'd like to see the new night time maps before making a complete judgement.

The weapons seem more varied and noticebly so to me. Agreed the machete is overpowered but the other melee weapons don't feel that way. Where as T2 Melee weapons are going to be similar to the machete I think.

The only way we will know about this is when extensive VS has been played and we can see if they use them like the old right click force-field effect was used back in the day with L4D before it was fixed with a fatigue timer. Fatigue doesn't apply to left click melee swings...yet. There is also a noticeable amount of time when you are swinging when are are waiting for the next swing and a sneaky attack can be made.

I hope the little things are just because it's a demo and we aren't reading too much into it, and that any major issue is fixed before the full release!

It takes time to develop a game, even after it has been released to mass market as that's when the true testing kicks in.

Having said this, roll on 17th (or whenever th) of November!

PoD

PoD

Associate
Pathfinding is a huge problem in the demo.
For instance they invariably go towards the saferoom, so you can run on the car at the start of the second map and then when the horde come someone close the door to the saferoom.

The horde will then often just run for whoever is inside and then stand around banging on the door waiting to get bashed.

I have to say I actually dont like the map in the demo much. It demonstrates the majority of the new features which is obviously why they chose it, but it is terribly unatmospheric and shows the obvious issues with pathfinding

So I can see why some people dont like the game based soley on the demo, but I dont care much for their opinions anyway because I only tend to play OcUK and a few other select individuals who I have spent the last year getting to know. So I now have a very nicely pruned Steam list with some excellent players (including Sh4rk ;) ).

Another good question is do you believe the game will be released on the 11th?

Soldato
Montegue seems to be getting a lot of hate for this but I can totally see where he's coming from. I'l probably wait for it to be on a half price weekend and get it in a few months time.

I can't put my finger on it but it definately feels like something's missing. I've just finished the demo and my first impressions were:

There's something up with mouse aim, I don't know what but it doesn't feel right. As soon as I started the game I set it to how I have all my other source games but it still feels odd. It was either overly smooth and floaty (regardless of mouse smoothing being on or off) or jagged as if the crosshair can only move along a grid pattern.

The textures seem very flat. I know l4d was hardly a graphical powerhouse but it seems they've taken cues from tf2; which contrasts badly with the new improved gore. Gritty guts and dimemberment covering the floor, yet the sleeve of my character looks like I'm using the engineer.

On the topic of gore, I think they did a good job on it. Pipe bombs are MUCH more satisfying to use now.

I'm unsure of the new weapons, some are good, melee seems overpowered. The magnum/deagle thing was really good, nice and powerful and very accurate. Noises seem better too. Weapons seem to take up a lot of screen real estate though.

Encounters with boss infected seem a lot more common, but they seem easier to kill - that could just be more powerful weapons though.

Zombie path finding actually seems worse than in l4d. I had a horde come after me in an open street, yet I still get half of the zombies trying to climb over an unobtrosive streetlight rather than just run at me. There also seem to be a hell of a lot of "floor gliding" zombies too. I also encountered 2 hunters during my playthrough, both attacking scenery rather than me.

I feel the more open ended levels work, there was never a clear indication of where to go, but I never got lost - it just worked.

I totally agree. The L4D2 demo doesn't offer anything significant over L4D1 in terms of trying to justify why we need to buy a new game with those additional features. Now, don't get me wrong I've never really been against L4D2, I've always had high hopes for it and the videos of it looked quite good. But the gameplay leaves me with a feeling that it's lacking something. Maybe the full game will make up for that, I don't know.

The whole gun skins, and general aim is a definite console thing in my eyes. It reminds me so much of what would suit a console rather than a PC. In fact the whole gameplay feels as though it's been made more to accomodate console users, especially when you look at the HUD GUI interface.

I'm sorry if to some of you I sound so negative but I'm just a little disappointed. The whole thing to me seems dumbed down and kinda cheap looking, apart from the character skins. I will of course reserve further judgement until the final game but so far it seems pretty lazy attempt to me over the first game. I so hope I'm wrong when it comes to the final game though.

Soldato
Im still waiting for those extra weapons that they promised in Left4dead ;)

Unless they're radically different, different weapons are just a waste of time IMHO. Just eye/ear candy that just dilute/confuse the game unnecessarily. Would rather have other areas invested in, rather than having a gun that's just a variation on what's already there with a different sound.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's something up with mouse aim, I don't know what but it doesn't feel right. As soon as I started the game I set it to how I have all my other source games but it still feels odd. It was either overly smooth and floaty (regardless of mouse smoothing being on or off) or jagged as if the crosshair can only move along a grid pattern.

Try turning off triple buffer vsync. It adds to the mouse lag.

Associate
Try turning off triple buffer vsync. It adds to the mouse lag.

Already done, though it's not floaty anymore, just seems to be constrained to a grid type pattern now, aiming accurately is hard.

The more I play the demo the more I seem to be getting into it, I played again with friends on advanced/expert and it was a lot more "left 4 dead like" than my first playthrough seemed.

Watching the intro movie seems to psyche me up for it too, it's damn good.

Soldato
Just had a go on the open demo. Didn't impress at all. Seems exactly like LFD1 with new maps, skins and a few weapons. Seems more like DLC than a new game. Will wait a few months and get it cheap.

Associate
Just got the demo doesnt seem like l4d any more :( with the daylight , tf2 graphics seems to have moved away from what the good things was from l4d

ill be waitin for price to drop before picking l4d2 up i think

PoD

PoD

Associate
Having played the infected mod I definitely think they are going to have to nerf the T2 sniper.

• The Charger has fixed the issue with infected being shafted in corridors (No Mercy M4 anyone). One Charger and you can take a man out plus knock the rest back although I am a little worried it might be OP
  • The Jockey is the most annoying little so and so combined with a Smoker it is going to be death for anyone who lags behind.
  • The Smoker doesn't have the fire flies in the day map, so if they are just gone in the day or they removed them?
  • The hunter has a new move if you press fire standing up and it jumps forward a little (no wall pounce). The hunter also seems like it doesn't pounce as far as it did, but that might be me as I didn't test it fully.
  • The spitter is going to shaft people who are down, with a boomer combo its going to cause huge amounts of damage
  • The Witch should autocast horde, with the new more powerful weapons she is useless
  • The boomer is practically useless on that map as the path finding issues and the open space make it far to easy to defend against

Back
Top Bottom