***Official Left 4 Dead 2 Thread***

Soldato
They're not - several aren't busy at all.

I'll look into why the search key isn't working for you. In the meantime, go to linktart.co.uk and just click on the server you want to join. It should open steam and connect.

Cheers, I can get into a game through the links and the 'mm_dedicated_force_servers '. Also working through the steam group servers after joining.

I got up at 12am and have been playing since 5am (well probably nearer 6 after all the faff). Surprised I can still type, let alone figure out how to connect to a server:p

Associate
Woo, got in to L4D2... and crashed to desktop. A quick google shows a lot of this happening.

Two notes for people just getting home and running it:

1) Your Steam "My games" tab will sit there updating for anything up to 30 minutes with HD activity. It's decrypting the L4D2 files. Leave it be, it'll get there.

2) People with ATi graphics cards need to update to the latest versions (9.10?) to play, otherwise it usually crashes out within 30 seconds.

Playing the single player for a short while to get used to it, then will be on the OcUK servers later!

Permabanned
Because ive got limited friends :( Can I play the campaign online from start to finish with random people online? Or do you have to have the same friends? (I know the later would be more fun, but as I said ive about 5 friends :D

Caporegime
HELLLLP

Mate has hired a dedicated server for 3 months so me and mates can play but we have absolutely no clue how to connect to it or set it up for l4d2!

Can anyone with knowledge point we towards a ****proof website or post a server config file or tell me/us what we are doing lol

We have made a steam group -- but thats as far as we have got ??? this is so much more difficult than the olden days.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, looks like I spoke too soon. I've updated my catalyst drivers to the most recent on the ATi website (9.10), but still I crash out with no message in the first couple of rooms.

Anyone got a link to a fix or workaround for this?

Soldato
Hmm, looks like I spoke too soon. I've updated my catalyst drivers to the most recent on the ATi website (9.10), but still I crash out with no message in the first couple of rooms.

Anyone got a link to a fix or workaround for this?

Try the beta 9.12 drivers. Should be a link in the graphics section somewhere.

Associate
I've seen 3 fixes proposed for this:

- validate game install looking for corrupt files (had 2 corrupt files, redownloading)
- run with setting "-lv", reduces gore.
- run Steam as Administrator

This seems linked to when special infected appear.

Will try patching, then trying the 3rd option, then the 2nd, then will try the 9.12 drivers.

Update: Verified the files 3 times now. First time, 2 corrupt files. Second time, 2 corrupt files, 3rd time, 1 corrupt file. All redownloaded each time, but game still crashed. Will continue verifying until they come back as all verified - if I get fed up with that, will redownload all the content! But this looks like the chief culprit.

Edit again: reinstalling local content... be there in 2h+ :p

Last edited:
Soldato
This is just unbelievable, I just can't complete the first chapter, had to leave 3 times, then ended up with teamkiller, then crash (which looked like the best game of all, had 3 guys from a clan) and on one game 2 people left so was stuck with 3 bots for a finale. Hopefully the OCUK servers will start filling up so I can get a decent game.

Back
Top Bottom