**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Associate
I'm now VERY impressed with this sim.

Took the TBM for a VFR from Heathrow to Manchester. Planned route was west to fly over Bristol then north east to east Midlands then land at Manchester.

Soon in to the flight the weather got a bit worse and I had to fly under the cloud base at 1500ft. Approaching Bristol I decided to request a touch and go at EGGD. This was approved but as the weather worsened I decided to put in the ILS frequency just in case I needed it. Just before the initial approach fix ATC tell me the airport is now IFR and to carry out a full stop landing. Nav mode over to loc and through the soup I went until minimums where the runway appeared just in time.

Had to land and park up! Either plan an IFR from there for the rest of the route or wait for the weather to improve. Amazing!

Associate
Recommend me a controller please.
So im new to flight sims but a simracing freak for years so i know hardware is only limited by your budget.
Im currently using a logitech extreme 3d pro joystick but ruder axis is not working so im looking for something a bit more immersive but nothing too expensive.

Soldato
More immersive would probably be to invest in some rudder pedals and use them in conjunction with your joystick if you're happy with it otherwise. I believe the Thrustmaster T. Flight pedals are pretty good and what I will be getting.

Soldato
Did my first ILS flight from Chivenor to Exeter, pretty scary being in complete darkness and putting 100% trust in the electronics. Picked Exeter as its the local airport to me and one I may become familiar with in time as I would love to get my PPL.

Soldato
Starting to get a little disillusioned with this again, it's mainly the unfinished or buggy items which really should have been caught before release.

After discovering the FMC didn't retain your flight plan in the 747 when re-loading a saved flight, I then found the A320 does exactly the same. How are you supposed to do a long haul flight in more than one session especially if you can't actually load the plan back in? I've reported it to Zendesk but really, if they were going to ditch the "Acme" AP from previous FS' in favour of a FMC system for the jets and Garmin for the GA, should work properly.

I'm also finding that the two main flight sim forums (Avsim and FS dot com) seem to be dominated by fanboys shooting down the slightest criticism, making it impossible to have a balanced discussion about the state of the game.

Soldato
Starting to get a little disillusioned with this again, it's mainly the unfinished or buggy items which really should have been caught before release.

After discovering the FMC didn't retain your flight plan in the 747 when re-loading a saved flight, I then found the A320 does exactly the same. How are you supposed to do a long haul flight in more than one session especially if you can't actually load the plan back in? I've reported it to Zendesk but really, if they were going to ditch the "Acme" AP from previous FS' in favour of a FMC system for the jets and Garmin for the GA, should work properly.

I'm also finding that the two main flight sim forums (Avsim and FS dot com) seem to be dominated by fanboys shooting down the slightest criticism, making it impossible to have a balanced discussion about the state of the game.

It's definitely buggy, no-one's going to deny that, drives me mad at times. Despite the flakiness though, it's a pretty extraordinary bit of software. I'm confident it's not going to be abandoned and rough edges will get sorted out.

Incidentally, I realised I can do a very limited number of 50% discounts if anyone was thinking of buying it.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
It's definitely buggy, no-one's going to deny that, drives me mad at times. Despite the flakiness though, it's a pretty extraordinary bit of software. I'm confident it's not going to be abandoned and rough edges will get sorted out.

Incidentally, I realised I can do a very limited number of 50% discounts if anyone was thinking of buying it.

I’m thinking of buying it, tell me more...

Associate
@mid_gen if there's still some 50% vouchers left may I be so bold as to ask for one? Once joinFS supports FS2020 this would be my only simulator, currently have to run P3D for my Tuesday night group flying fixes.

Soldato
I've been enjoying it with the game pass subscription but would certainly consider upgrading to the premium deluxe in the future, specially if the price was right.
Yes if they sort out the bugs and the price for the upgrade (I already own Standard) dropped to £30 I would undoubtedly fold too.

Problem at present is I assume the 787 suffers from the same issue as the A320 and 747 in regard to not keeping your flight plan active in the FMC when you load a saved game.

Back
Top Bottom