**Official MSI Z77 Mpower Discussion Thread**

Would anyone here like to help me?
I am struggling to overclock my i5 3570K on this board. There seems to be too many options in these new UEFI Bios screens, My last Overclock was a Q9450 @ 3.6ghz on a NF790i board which was easy compared to all the new options i have available to me on this board.
I have increased the cpu ratio to 42, disabled EIST and changed the vcore voltage to 1.18v, everything else was auto and it would bsod 20mins on OCCT.
I think i dont fully understand all the settings in the bios and things like the vdroop are percentage and not values like other MBs so i am really at a loss!
:(

New Beta BIOS released since last week.
NOTE: Make sure you unplug your PSU from A/C power and properly >>Clear CMOS Guide<< after flashing.

WARNING:- DO NOT USE THE WINDOWS MSI LIVE UPDATE 5 METHOD TO UPDATE YOUR BIOS, HIGH RISK OF BIOS FAILIURE!

Latest Beta BIOS >> BIOS ID: H74

Please note that flashing this release occurs entirely at your own risk!
>>Use the MSI HQ Forum USB flasher<<, Method II for best results.
Do NOT use the BIOS/UEFI integrated M-Flash Routine.

>>Alternative Method BIOS flashing/update using an USB Flash Drive<< Latest version of HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.2.3 >> Click Here

E7751IMS.H72 ==> E7751IMS.H74
  1. Fix set virtu technology to D-mode && OC CPU Ratio will cause 3 times full reset.
  2. Fix Samsung Non-XMP memory can't OC more than 1866 with IVB CPU.
  3. Update UpdateBiosAndME function error message solution.
  4. Fix can't adjust boot device priority by Int15 tool when update Fixed Boot Order ver:013.
  5. Update ME 8.1.30.1350.
  6. Fix transparent string background function which applied in progress bar.
  7. Adjust the UpdateBiosAndME function error message string.
  8. Release Date: 2nd February 2013
DISCLAIMER:
MSI will not be held responsible or liable for any damage made with using a BETA BIOS.
Please proceed with discretion and do not attempt to use unless you know what you are doing!

hi all

how do i get into the bios on win 8 seems to reboot straight to windows even tried disconnecting all extra usb devices

Sorted could not get into bios except by using on board button seems the corsair link Sierra software was playing havoc with win 8

Last edited:
Got a bit of an issue with my MPower that hopefully someone else has already solved.

I bought the board after being told by stores, forums and reviews that it was good for Overclocking AND Watercooling.

So I checked the specs, three 16x PCIe slots, supports SLI. So I've got 2 GPU with blocks and a bridge currently sat in the lowest two 16x PCIe slots - because the first 16x PCIe slot is too far away for an EK-FC Bridge to span between it and the second slot - I've gotta use the last two slots at the bottom of the board that are next to each other.

Using the last 16x PCIe slot for a GPU doesn't sound to me like it should cause any issues ... unfortunately it places even a GPU with a VERY low profile waterblock (when compared to cards with coolers) directly over the headers on the bottom of the board. And I don't know whether the GPU is going to seat properly when pressed up against these headers ...

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with it?

I have an issue where I want to select PCIE slot 2 for my primary boot GPU (crossfire) but the bios (17.6) only seems to allow me to choose from PCIE slot 1 or the on board CPU GPU. On my old Gigabyte X58 board I could choose from any of them.

I have an issue where I want to select PCIE slot 2 for my primary boot GPU (crossfire) but the bios (17.6) only seems to allow me to choose from PCIE slot 1 or the on board CPU GPU. On my old Gigabyte X58 board I could choose from any of them.
iirc Ivybridge only allows 16x or 8x/8x/4x so with a single card you must use PCIE1 - hopefully 8pack can confirm or deny

Hi there,

1 quickie. What's the disadvantages of using an i5 2500k with this board if any?

Cheers guys

Only disadvantage there is to my knowledge is that pci-e3 is only available on ivybridge so you have to "make do" with pci-e2 doesn't make much difference tbh.

golfnut said:
Hi there,

1 quickie. What's the disadvantages of using an i5 2500k with this board if any?

Cheers guys
Well from my opinion, none.

Only real feature missing off MSI motherboards is DVID/Offset, but this isn't really a big deal, because on the MSI Z68 their was only one settting for Vdroop on/off, with this MSI MPower you can set CPU Core Vdroop offset Control as a (%) percentage, so if you use CPU Auto Voltage, you can tweak Vdroop really well at high overclocks, well upto 4.9GHz I've tried. :)

As an example my 2500K VID at 4.8GHz is 1.41v this is what it would set at Vdroop offset Control = [100%], if I set it to 12.5%, the Auto voltage sets @ 1.31v :)

Here is one way of overclocking it, see my post >> http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22950351&postcount=55

Check this >> MSI GD65 Z68 (G3) Quick Auto Voltage OC Guide and Reference for using turbo boost overclocking, this is how I overclock, once I roughly know what voltages my CPU needs at various multipliers.

Using turbo's to set to whatever as this needs slightly less voltage for stability, so for 4.5GHz.

1-Core ratio Limit 45
2-Core ratio Limit 45
3-Core ratio Limit 45
4-Core ratio Limit 45

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom