**Official MSI Z77 Mpower Discussion Thread**

Well from my opinion, none.

Only real feature missing off MSI motherboards is DVID/Offset, but this isn't really a big deal, because on the MSI Z68 their was only one settting for Vdroop on/off, with this MSI MPower you can set CPU Core Vdroop offset Control as a (%) percentage, so if you use CPU Auto Voltage, you can tweak Vdroop really well at high overclocks, well upto 4.9GHz I've tried. :)

As an example my 2500K VID at 4.8GHz is 1.41v this is what it would set at Vdroop offset Control = [100%], if I set it to 12.5%, the Auto voltage sets @ 1.31v :)

Here is one way of overclocking it, see my post >> http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22950351&postcount=55[/U
Check this >> [URL="http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18340310"]MSI GD65 Z68 (G3) Quick Auto Voltage OC Guide and Reference
for using turbo boost overclocking, this is how I overclock, once I roughly know what voltages my CPU needs at various multipliers.

Using turbo's to set to whatever as this needs slightly less voltage for stability, so for 4.5GHz.

1-Core ratio Limit 45
2-Core ratio Limit 45
3-Core ratio Limit 45
4-Core ratio Limit 45

Cheers for your detailed answer, its ordered now so looking forward to matching up with my MSI lightning 7970!

To get 16x pci 3.0 under Ivy CPU you must use the top slot for all boards with no PLX chip. The MSI M Power is one of these boards. For SLI to get 8x 8x you must use The top two PCI EX slots.

It does this as logically who would cramp the card for bandwidth intentionally choosing anything but 16x 3.0 lanes for there primary card.

The guy with waterblocks and SLI there are longer bridges to allow you to use the top slot and second one down. To get the best from your system this is the only approach for you to adopt and is one all Z77 boards regardless adopt.

I am loving my M Power to be honest great board and LN2 incoming this weekend to give it an even bigger thrashing!!!

I have this motherboard, just installed my new SSD, when I boot into windows, and go to my computer, it says my ssd is drive C, but in bios I have my 1tb HDD as the 1st boot device, when I click change boot device my SSD doesn't show "/

To get 16x pci 3.0 under Ivy CPU you must use the top slot for all boards with no PLX chip. The MSI M Power is one of these boards. For SLI to get 8x 8x you must use The top two PCI EX slots.

It does this as logically who would cramp the card for bandwidth intentionally choosing anything but 16x 3.0 lanes for there primary card.

I am using both 1 and 2 slots...I wanted to use the lower card to drive my monitors as the temps are lower, however while this works ok in windows it doesn't boot that way so I have no monitor until windows boots. If both cards are running at x8 then I don't see the issue?

I've finally got round to changing my Asus P8Z77-LX to the MPower . What a great board . I don't like the bios much compared to the Asus , it is a lot more in depth , but I suppose that can only be a good thing . Like all things new it's just a case of adjusting .
I especially like the bluetooth suite software , allowing you to connect your phone for wireless music / handsfree kit . Once devices are paired , all with just one click on your phone to switch bluetooth on .
One thing though I don't like the cpu power indicator lights , Every time I switch them off they always eventually tern back on .
Also this might be a silly question ( I'm a build your own noob ) but the 6 pin gpu connector is it purely suplimentary or can you use it to power your gpu ? (7850 with 6 pin )
Finally after 2 days everything is reinstalled from W7 to steam , God I hate doing that . I've just had a go on OC Genie on an i5 3570 @ 4.2 . I just ran prime 95 for half an hour and i'm chuffed with the result . I'm running at 30 degrees idle and it never exceeded 51 degrees .
Is there any way of getting the OC genie to go above 4.2 , I've noticed that every one with 3570 are getting the same . On my Old Asus board with there oc'ing software you had the choice of fast or extreme and it kept going until it was unstable , then revert back a stage . I'm not really comfortable enough doing it in the bios yet , so oc genie is my only option .

Last edited:
^^^ The six pin connector is supplementary and is only really needed for multi card set ups using the board. Its not to power the card in any case just the bus. You still need to connect your cards with PCI X connectors from your PSU.

Casteil the Issue is prior to Windows the Bios is in charge of the cards and it assigns the top card as primary which 99% of users attach the monitor to. In Windows you can choose the primary card through the drivers. It would need a bios update to change this to allow you to be able to make the second card primary as this is a feature currently not available.

Can someone tell me what I am doing right or wrong please.

I just got my Mpower setup with a i5 3570K with default settings in the bios(turbo on).

Cpu-z says 1.222V but when I stress test it using prime the volts go down to 1.110V
and in the bios it's between 1.101-1.121V is this right?

Thanks

The only way of knowing exact CPU volts is via a volt meter.

What sounds like is happening to me is Vdroop under load which you can expect. Apply some LLC and the droop seen should be less. Although if your systems stable you may want to leave as is.

Can someone tell me what I am doing right or wrong please.

I just got my Mpower setup with a i5 3570K with default settings in the bios(turbo on).

Cpu-z says 1.222V but when I stress test it using prime the volts go down to 1.110V
and in the bios it's between 1.101-1.121V is this right?

Thanks

on the mpower it is controlled by the vdroop offset control, settings from auto to 100%
what clocks/turbo multi are you on???

max on the chip i could get was 4.5GHz using all energy features but for this i had to set my vdroop offset control to 100%

Hi Nick
Clocks at default(I think) 3.4ghz and the turbo is on and goes to 3.7ghz.
The ram is Auto and is 1600..I think I may press the OC button and go from there..thoughts?

Just noticed that if I open an app in cpu-z the multiplier goes to 37.

Awesome mobo by the way :)

Use Genie Overclock if you wish for 4.2ghz. As for LLC you dont need it if your stable. CPU are designed to Vdrrop its part of Intel spec. Dont fix what is not broken!!!

Hi 8 Pack.
I tried the OC button on the board it set the cpu to 4.2 but would not boot so it's back at defaults.

Any advice to get it to 4.2 8 Pack? thanks

edit= Maybe turning off the turbo stuff may help?

Last edited:
That is weird. I tried to flash the bios to the beta "BIOS ID: H74" and the BIOS locks, no flash screen, nothing. On the same USB flashdrive, I installed the latest origional one and that went fine. Anyone else tried the H74 beta version?(I can just use the reset button and back to normal) Plus the origional one I have to set "10030" to get 4704 Mhz.

Other thing that I noticed is that when you boot to Windows, the flashdrives are shown after, lets say one minute. There is a delay there that I can't figure out why.

My last question ;)
I tried to enable the Intel graphics onboard, but after saving and reboot, the motherboard keeps on reseting/rebooting and no screen. You can't have both on? I mean onboard and a dedicated (HD7850)videocard? I have to switch to the second BIOS to get it undone)

This dude :) tries to get 3 screens active, but a no show for now.

Last edited:

This is another MSI M power based score guys. CPU at 6122mhz BLK 107.1 DDR3 almost 2600Mhz 10-12-11-28 1T, With MSI 7970 Lightening too at 1600mhz/1900mhz.

Top twenty in the world this score with single GPU.

Is there any way of turning the cpu status led's off permenantly ? I go into control center ,set them to off , but every time I restart they are on again , and have to go into controll center again .

Back
Top Bottom