*** Official Nintendo Wii U thread ***

Caporegime
I'm amazed Ninty have mucked this up quite so badly to be honest, whether it sells well or not they have been just utterly incompetent.

The name screams out add on.

They first announced it and barely showed the console so a lot of people thought it was just the tablet, again leading to people thinking it's an add on.

Just such a weird way of doing things. Even something as simple as giving it a different name, I can't believe they spent more than 20 mins coming up with that one.

Soldato
Indeed, the other factors that they have trouble with is:

- They have released so many add-ons for the Wii that it's another reason people think the Wii-U is a tablet add-on.

- They want to keep the Wii brand name going with Wii-Fit, Wii-Sports, Wii-Play, they don't really want to drop that, but then it doesn't make it obvious its a new console.

Caporegime
I'm amazed Ninty have mucked this up quite so badly to be honest, whether it sells well or not they have been just utterly incompetent.

The name screams out add on.

They first announced it and barely showed the console so a lot of people thought it was just the tablet, again leading to people thinking it's an add on.

Just such a weird way of doing things. Even something as simple as giving it a different name, I can't believe they spent more than 20 mins coming up with that one.

Why? It's what they do best recently.

Caporegime
one thing you do get with nintendo is totally original games this is why i always buy there consoles and always have done :cool:

i currently still have 2 snes 2 nintendo 64 nintendo gameboys dsi x2 wii x 2 :p

i will get a wii 2 also :D

Man of Honour
one thing you do get with nintendo is totally original games this is why i always buy there consoles and always have done :cool:

i currently still have 2 snes 2 nintendo 64 nintendo gameboys dsi x2 wii x 2 :p

i will get a wii 2 also :D

I always buy them for the opposite reason!

I know I will always get a Smash Bros, 2D and 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Donkey Kong, StarFox, Pikmin etc with each console.

Soldato
I know that this will be compatable with Wii games and assume it will be relatively straightforward to copy the saves over.

Has anyone heard whether it will upscale the old games or just run them like a Wii?

Soldato
Another interesting problem facing the Wii-U which I read in what I believe was a Gamespot article, is that Nintendo themselves are acknowledging that customers aren't completely clear what it is.

While we all here are Gamers and know that the Wii-U is a new console, many people in the general public think its just a controller add-on for the Wii. A couple of big gaffs they've already have include:

- CNN, a major news organisation reporting it as an add-on for the Wii and it wasn't until they were corrected by Nintendo that they changed that.

- Talk Show host Jimmy Fallon attended E3 and checked out what was going on. He then had the Vice-President of Nintendo USA on his show to talk about the Wii-U and even with him there, he still thought the Wii-U was a Wii add-on, the Nintendo employee had to explain to him why it wasn't!

They have also not done themselves any favours by showing games like the new Mario Brothers which shows little difference between that of the Wii, which again makes it seem like its a controller add-on. Further to that, the console looks very similar to the Wii.

Given that the casual market was so important to the success of the Wii, it looks like Nintendo have already given themselves an uphill struggle just trying to explain to them that this is something entirely new.

It's a surprising how many people think a 3DS is a DS that plays DS games in 3D. I even know someone who bought their boyfriend a 3DS game even though he only had a DS. When I pointed this out to her, she just said "well he can just play them 'on normal' then"

Soldato
I know that this will be compatable with Wii games and assume it will be relatively straightforward to copy the saves over.

Has anyone heard whether it will upscale the old games or just run them like a Wii?

Will be running them just like the Wii, no upscaling.

It's a surprising how many people think a 3DS is a DS that plays DS games in 3D. I even know someone who bought their boyfriend a 3DS game even though he only had a DS. When I pointed this out to her, she just said "well he can just play them 'on normal' then"

Nintendo's fault for bad marketing....again. They didnt get straight to the point showing the new console. They just fathed around showing the controller first and console last.

Soldato
How are nintendo handling the multiplayer and online UI?

Will there multiplayer system be as polished as xbox/ps?

Have they released info on microphones and party chat? Things of this nature...

Soldato
I am thinking of getting one of these for my two boys who love the Lego games and are getting excited about Lego City Undercover. Now all of the trailers, screen shots etc are of a single player game, it looks identical to other Lego games and therefore two player should be possible (obviously without the benefit of the new controller). Anyone know anything about this?

I would have thought that they could introduce a sidekick type character for someone to play with a wii remote. Other than that I suppose they will have to take turns but that seems a bit poor.

Soldato
And finally, with the original Wii on about 100 million sales, I'm sure they would supply the GPU at a loss to begin with because it will pay off in 2-3 years.

I really don't think that would be the case, the Wii had it's day and I don't think the Wii U is going to have anywhere near that success.

Associate
I really don't think that would be the case, the Wii had it's day and I don't think the Wii U is going to have anywhere near that success.

you never know.wii was underdog and they outclass ps3/xbox360 is sale.
all depends how inovative they'll be with wii U,i personally wish them all the best

Soldato
you never know.wii was underdog and they outclass ps3/xbox360 is sale.
all depends how inovative they'll be with wii U,i personally wish them all the best

What made the Wii sell so well was that it brought something completely new to the table through motion control. It was the simple fact that it had such a wide ranging appeal, rather than just being aimed at the usual gamers demographic that made people want to buy it. It was based on a shared and fun experience, something that the whole family could play which was reinforced by marketing, reviews and endorsement.

That ship though now has sailed and both Sony and Microsoft already offer better versions of the technology.

While Tablets are certainly the current must have gadget, I'm not convinced a tablet controller is really going to interest people enough to buy this new console. As I've already said in this thread, their biggest struggle is going to be to convince all those people who never played games and bought a Wii, who now no longer play it that they should once again buy another Wii and try again. I personally can't see them achieving that.

Associate
What made the Wii sell so well was that it brought something completely new to the table through motion control. It was the simple fact that it had such a wide ranging appeal, rather than just being aimed at the usual gamers demographic that made people want to buy it. It was based on a shared and fun experience, something that the whole family could play which was reinforced by marketing, reviews and endorsement.

That ship though now has sailed and both Sony and Microsoft already offer better versions of the technology.

While Tablets are certainly the current must have gadget, I'm not convinced a tablet controller is really going to interest people enough to buy this new console. As I've already said in this thread, their biggest struggle is going to be to convince all those people who never played games and bought a Wii, who now no longer play it that they should once again buy another Wii and try again. I personally can't see them achieving that.

console market is really hard this days,look what happened to sony vita...
great equipment but thy don't sell well

Associate
Can blame that partly on the mobile gaming platform even though they are aimed at a different market. Same for the 3DS but it seems to be picking up now in sales.

i think 3ds is doing brilliant at the moment compare to vita.
i fell sorry for sony with vita,great pocket-console just to expensive.
I know they selling them cheaper than the cost to make.

Soldato
console market is really hard this days,look what happened to sony vita...
great equipment but thy don't sell well

Probably because the Vita doesn't do what it says on the tin. Demos of Killzone 3 were officially showing the Vita running it via Remote Play, but obviously this would not be possible as there is no L3 or R3 on the Vita.

Taking this into account with the lack of decent titles, nevermind good titles and you can see why it isn't selling.

The same thing happened with the PSP.

12months time maybe the Vita will be worth owning.

It is a quality handheld tech and looks wise though.

Wii U is a stupid name... I have recently just found out that it isn't just an addon. Will still be getting one though, looks awesome.

Back
Top Bottom