*** Official Nintendo Wii U thread ***

Associate
Wow that's great to hear I hope to pick this up soon.

I never played SMT3 (have played IV but didn't finish it) but loved persona 3 +4.

It's quite SMT like. Items and Magic have the same names, Jack Frost is the Mart mascot, you have Mirages and their weapon synergies instead of demons, Bloom palace instead of Cathedral of Shadows. The game still has dark demonic/possession elements as well as the j-pop overtones. The Atlus dungeon/battle themes are as good and atmospheric as ever. Some of the pop tunes can be annoying but you can't have everything.

The battle system is what is winning people over though. I can't think of a better one tbh.

Associate
It's quite SMT like. Items and Magic have the same names, Jack Frost is the Mart mascot, you have Mirages and their weapon synergies instead of demons, Bloom palace instead of Cathedral of Shadows. The game still has dark demonic/possession elements as well as the j-pop overtones. The Atlus dungeon/battle themes are as good and atmospheric as ever. Some of the pop tunes can be annoying but you can't have everything.

The battle system is what is winning people over though. I can't think of a better one tbh.

The J-pop stuff is what put me off of that game. That said... I do listen quite a lot of J-rock and I wouldn't mind another reason to use the WiiU... is it really worth getting? I enjoyed 300+ of Xenoblade Chronicles X, granted the music in that game was pretty good so that helped, but haven't touched the WiiU since.

Associate
The j-pop isn't as protruding as I thought it would be, and I think it's actually kinda good j-pop but I don't have much reference to go on.

J-pop vocal tracks play in the occasional cutscene and sometimes in battle when certain triggers take place (which can be skipped on press of a button).
Outside of theses instances, is your usual JRPG style music (and very good too).

What some may find more off-putting than the actual j-pop tracks, is the general quirkiness and light heartedness of the themes and interactions in the game. I don't see this as a flaw and quite like it myself though, if you are open to frivolity you'll probably enjoy the writing.

The story is OK so far, nothing too special but it can be entertaining at times... it's weird in a good way.
The dungeons are simple in structure but individual and have some OK puzzles too, encounter system is great imo.

The battle system is awesome and expands continuously as you play through the game. I would recommend Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE to anyone who enjoys turn based combat in RPG's, it's a must for JRPG fans.

Last edited:
Associate
The battle system is awesome and expands continuously as you play through the game. I would recommend Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE to anyone who enjoys turn based combat in RPG's, it's a must for JRPG fans.

Great to hear. I love a good turn based battle system. It seems like so many JRPGs are moving away from this and I think it's a real shame.

Associate
What some may find more off-putting than the actual j-pop tracks, is the general quirkiness and light heartedness of the themes and interactions in the game. I don't see this as a flaw and quite like it myself though, if you are open to frivolity you'll probably enjoy the writing.

So typical anime BS as many would call it? No thanks... unless things actually happen in the story to have such things make sense.

A short personal comparison between a game and the same thing with additional anime BS:
I loved the plot of games like Valkyria Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X, the former had an anime adaptation which actually added in, just a smidgeon of 'anime BS'. I'm not sure whether it was the writing or what... but the strange thing was I preferred the way the game itself did the story, over the animation which one would expect to have a more heavy focus on story. The conclusion in the anime just wasn't as satisfying as the conclusion in the game, which wrapped things up neatly with a bow.

However... I have in the past given some anime (of which I had low initial expectations) a go and they turned out to be not so bad. So perhaps one day I might pick up this game and give it a good try. But now is the worst time, unboxing the PS4 today and even PC. I've just got too many games I should play. I have a bad habit of buying games and not actually playing them lol.

Otherwise it's a real shame that there's nothing on the horizon for the WiiU bar the Zelda which will inevitably be an NX launch title. Would be cool if there was some sort of cross-buy.

Associate
I would say that the style and tone of the writing and expressive characters suit the context of the game very well at least, it doesn't seem shallow at all. There is a certain serious undertone to the story, in that the characters are learning how to grow up and become adults while working in an industry that demands a lot from them personally. There is a good focus on character development.

Outside of Studio Ghibli and a few other well known films, I really haven't watched much anime at all (or played many anime games), so not really sure how it scales on the 'anime BS' metre. Perhaps you could watch the first 15 mins on youtube or something and decide if it's for you or not.

Yep, TMS #FE could be the last great 'exclusive' game to release on the Wii U, but considering how much it suffered commercially the console has had good support from Nintendo I feel.

Cross-buy would be awesome, especially if the rumours about Smash, Mario Maker and Splatoon coming to NX turn out to be true. Having to pay again to get the best version of Smash4 for example would kinda suck.

Associate
Having not owned a Nintendo console since the SNES I feel like I have missed out on a lot of classics.
Now the U is dropping to very respectable prices used (shame about the game prices) is it worth picking one up?

I can get hold of a wii U + MK8 bundle for ~£100 used, but it's the used game prices that are putting me off.

Is there a decent catalogue of demos on the store, that includes some of the big hitters, like 3D World, Bayonetta, Star Fox?
Not been feeling it with PC gaming lately, maybe the U can fill a gap.

Soldato
Having not owned a Nintendo console since the SNES I feel like I have missed out on a lot of classics.
Now the U is dropping to very respectable prices used (shame about the game prices) is it worth picking one up?

I can get hold of a wii U + MK8 bundle for ~£100 used, but it's the used game prices that are putting me off.

Is there a decent catalogue of demos on the store, that includes some of the big hitters, like 3D World, Bayonetta, Star Fox?

Snap it up at that price.

Nintendo games dont drop much in price. 3D world is a must buy. Bayonetta is excellent and there is a demo. Dont know if there is a demo for Star Fox.

Associate

It's a bit cliched but true, 2nd hand prices are high because most people keep the games! Nintendo games (usually) have a lot of replay value, I see two categories. An adventure/story that people love and perhaps revisit semi-annually (maybe Zelda and stuff), or games that are just great fun and who cares about the story (Smash Bros, MK8, Splatoon,SM3DW). I revisit my games all the time, and I won't sell them until I can't play them, eg I've no Wii U anymore.

Interesting to see if the Nx has ANY kind of backwards compatibility....

Edit: Star Fox demo quietly dropped last week, probably to stimulate poor sales.

Associate
So I picked up a MK8 bundle afer you guys said go for it :) £120 happy with that.

Realy pleased with the system, I have ordered Super Mario 3D World, and tried a few demos.

ZombiU, not for me.
Bayonetta 2, well I had no idea what I was doing, just an insane button smashing frenzy, it's so hard to know when to dodge, but looks like it could be good fun.
Star Fox, was so dissapointed with that demo, it's just the training, which does nothing but put you off the game with the crazy amount of controls to get to grips with, 1 ship was bad enough. Loved it on the SNES, if I ever see it cheap, I would pick it up, but sucks there is no actual gameplay in the demo.

Suprised there is no Fire Emblem for the Wii U?
Can anyone recommend a puzzle game? In the same vain as Tetris, Candy Crush etc Just something to pick up for 15mins here and there.

Got my eye on Fast Racing Neo :D but want to do MK8 first else it will never be touched again.
Going to try Monster Hunter today, saw it on the 3DS but it was too fiddly, should be easier on the big screen.

Soldato
So I picked up a MK8 bundle afer you guys said go for it :) £120 happy with that.

Realy pleased with the system, I have ordered Super Mario 3D World, and tried a few demos.

ZombiU, not for me.
Bayonetta 2, well I had no idea what I was doing, just an insane button smashing frenzy, it's so hard to know when to dodge, but looks like it could be good fun.
Star Fox, was so dissapointed with that demo, it's just the training, which does nothing but put you off the game with the crazy amount of controls to get to grips with, 1 ship was bad enough. Loved it on the SNES, if I ever see it cheap, I would pick it up, but sucks there is no actual gameplay in the demo.

Suprised there is no Fire Emblem for the Wii U?
Can anyone recommend a puzzle game? In the same vain as Tetris, Candy Crush etc Just something to pick up for 15mins here and there.

Got my eye on Fast Racing Neo :D but want to do MK8 first else it will never be touched again.
Going to try Monster Hunter today, saw it on the 3DS but it was too fiddly, should be easier on the big screen.

Been tempted by MH myself, mh4 on 3ds was my first one but same as you it was horrid to control without a second thumb stick to control the camera. Can be quite a steep learning curve mind

Pushmo is said to be a good puzzler

Associate
Been tempted by MH myself, mh4 on 3ds was my first one but same as you it was horrid to control without a second thumb stick to control the camera. Can be quite a steep learning curve mind

Pushmo is said to be a good puzzler

The WiiU version of Monster Hunter is the best one to date in my opinion. Not only are the controls excellent with the WiiU Pro controller, but the online and graphics are very reasonable. The controls on the 3DS version are terrible, I never even use the D-pad, which is something considering how few buttons the 3DS has in comparison. It doesn't quite have the later upgrades the new games have, but that's cos progress is slow with these games as it is. Only in the latest game have we finally got the ability to remove all decorations as an option. These are mainly QoL improvements though. The big difference is no mounting and no Insect Glaive/Charge Blade.

Associate
Having a lot of fun on MK8, (giggling like a school girl most the time :D) thanks for the suggestions, will pick up Pushmo for sure.

I'm looking at a few old Wii games to run on the Wii U, I take it the Wii U gamepad won't work with them.

Will the Wii U controller pro work with them ok? Don't see the point in buying old Wii controllers, might as well get the official Wii U pro controller right?

Or must you use Wii controllers on a Wii game?
Have my eye on Goldeneye :) Never played it.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Goldeneye is fantastic but I think its Wii mote only

Also you can get Star Fox Zero for £18 today, picked myself up a copy :D

Back
Top Bottom