***Official North Yorkshire Moors Meet 2 thread**

damnit i knew id miss out on the fun

Turns out when i got to york (conversations had been very difficult due to crap signal) i could have stayed out longer.

Did over 200 miles as it was though. 5 hours driving. Not so sure i could have put up with another 50 miles and another hour + of driving.

damnit i knew id miss out on the fun

Turns out when i got to york (conversations had been very difficult due to crap signal) i could have stayed out longer.

Did over 200 miles as it was though. 5 hours driving. Not so sure i could have put up with another 50 miles and another hour + of driving.

I would be inclined to agree with the last statement, apart from the empty dual carriageway after Loftus and then the tight road going into Saltburn - easy the best driving parts of the day :D

I hauled you all in when I wanted to ;)

Thanks for the phone advice, Fox. Checked them at a garage and appear to be fine. I think must be down to the fact I swapped the runflats for Falkens 2/3 weeks ago and then 250 miles of driving today, with quite a lot of hammer, must have sent the sensors a bit mental because of the heat.

Thanks for the phone advice, Fox. Checked them at a garage and appear to be fine. I think must be down to the fact I swapped the runflats for Falkens 2/3 weeks ago and then 250 miles of driving today, with quite a lot of hammer, must have sent the sensors a bit mental because of the heat.

No worries - it'll be because you changed tyres and then didn't reset the system. It'll throw up a tyre pressure warning if you do that. I'm pretty sure that putting the ignition into the accessory position and holding the button for 8 seconds resets it - the proceedure should be in the manual :)

Bet its miles better with FK452's on - I'm taking ours in to get F1's put on the front next week, putting them on the back transformed the car!s

Me and tom were drawing some interesting comparisons between the Vectra and the 330

even with 70bhp and 180 lb/ft more than the 330 i still didnt pull away from it an alarming rate. We came to the conclusion that the real difference was most probably down to the weight.

looking at the specs, the 330 is 20cm shorter and 30cm narrower and also about 80kg lighter. Probably explaining why (for straight line speed) the 330i isnt that far off from the vec.

incidentally fox spud's tyres smelt terrible. I'm not sure but was musing that i'm sure i read somewhere that tyres bed in, and the reason is that the compound of the rubber changes as you wear away the first mm of tread. Either that its just the falkens are made of a smelly compound.

Last edited:
Me and tom were drawing some interesting comparisons between the Vectra and the 330

even with 70bhp and 180 lb/ft more than the 330 i still didnt pull away from it an alarming rate. We came to the conclusion that the real difference was most probably down to the weight.

I've not spoken with Tom yet but with our play on the dual carriageway I was pulling away from him. Not sure whether he's a bigger guy and had a passenger made a difference but I was also in a bigger car.

Fun though! :D

Also wanna know what gear he was in as when we were side by side I seemed to pull away quite easily. (4th at 90mph upto around 110. He may have been in 5th which would make a difference)

[TW]Fox;14823635 said:
ST220 right? The one I drove definately wasn't quicker than a 330i.

A day of surprises it seems, the Golf (140 diesel) was pretty much on level par with my Leon (150 but RRd at 172 and 178 with my exhaust) which didn't seem to make sense unless it had been chipped/mapped previously - or it was a stupidly strong standard engine (like mine has been commented upon at both Rolling Roads)

To be honest, we all kept up easy enough - only on the dual carriageways did the real gaps appear (and whatever he says, Mat DID NOT get stuck behind a failesta which held him back, I saw no such thing in my mirrors ;))

A day of surprises it seems, the Golf (140 diesel) was pretty much on level par with my Leon (150 but RRd at 172 and 178 with my exhaust) which didn't seem to make sense unless it had been chipped/mapped previously - or it was a stupidly strong standard engine (like mine has been commented upon at both Rolling Roads)

I think people underestimate just how much of a power advantage is needed to accelerate so much quicker than another car that you quite obviously pull away - not to mention it's immeasurably easier to follow than it is to lead, you can be 100% commmited when following yet when leading you have to set your own pace.

[TW]Fox;14823666 said:
I think people underestimate just how much of a power advantage is needed to accelerate so much quicker than another car that you quite obviously pull away - not to mention it's immeasurably easier to follow than it is to lead, you can be 100% commmited when following yet when leading you have to set your own pace.

this is something else that i was theorising

we're all used to seeing long drag races on TV and youtube and such that show the difference.

But out in the real world over a short length of road, i dont think its quite the same.

To be honest, we all kept up easy enough - only on the dual carriageways did the real gaps appear (and whatever he says, Mat DID NOT get stuck behind a failesta which held him back, I saw no such thing in my mirrors ;))

leon 150s are lightning quick :cool:

once on the move

[TW]Fox;14823666 said:

I know what you mean, and completely agree about following/leading. We were both surprised though as I thought it was the 170 version hence why them being evenly matched.

But this was done on a variety of roads and with both cars leading/following - never the lead car of the pack though so always following someone else (if you get me..)

I onced chased an Aston Martin V8 Vantage up a sliproad - he certainly sounded like he was gunning it (But we'll never know for sure) and the fact he eventually left me behind at... err.... yea... suggested he was but he didnt pull away as quickly as I expected. I suspect this is because to leave a car thats accelerating hard like its going backwards requires a LOT of power.

I mean watch cars drag racing the quarter mile. A 2 second difference on a quarter mile is an absolute age but the winning car won't be a small dot through the windscreen of the losing car if you know what i mean?

Back
Top Bottom