***Official North Yorkshire Moors Meet 2 thread**

[TW]Fox;14823666 said:
I think people underestimate just how much of a power advantage is needed to accelerate so much quicker than another car that you quite obviously pull away - not to mention it's immeasurably easier to follow than it is to lead, you can be 100% commmited when following yet when leading you have to set your own pace.

One thing I did with Tom was let him attempt an overtake but plant it in 4th and he never got past me :p

[TW]Fox;14823701 said:
I onced chased an Aston Martin V8 Vantage up a sliproad - he certainly sounded like he was gunning it (But we'll never know for sure) and the fact he eventually left me behind at... err.... yea... suggested he was but he didnt pull away as quickly as I expected. I suspect this is because to leave a car thats accelerating hard like its going backwards requires a LOT of power.

I mean watch cars drag racing the quarter mile. A 2 second difference on a quarter mile is an absolute age but the winning car won't be a small dot through the windscreen of the losing car if you know what i mean?

On a similar note, I once chased a V8 Vantage round some back roads near my village. Perfect example of the leading/following debate.

You knows it ;) Take a while to get there (can't beat 4wd eh?;)) but they are alright for what you need :D

transmission losses ***

but they really are enough for what you need. obviously the ARL is as refined as a tractor, but for pulling away from old people at the lights, booting it in town, and for going with the flow on a motorway (70-90) in top gear, it's a very good engine.

And he was clearing trying ;)

We need salami and his super MX5 in here :p

Obviously else I wouldn't have needed to boot it in order to keep up (;))

He was probably sozzled from being at the races all day, and that combined with the lack of knowledge of the roads we were on allowed me to keep up somewhat haha :D

My proudest moment, other than overtaking a Gallardo on the Nurburgring that was restricted to 3k revs when I was going flat out on the back straight

One thing I did with Tom was let him attempt an overtake but plant it in 4th and he never got past me :p

i wasnt trying to overtake, i was TRYING to draw level with you by braking to your speed, and everytime i did you planted it and i had to try and catch up again (if there was anyone behind they'd be able to confirm my brakelights were coming on just as you ****** off into the distance :confused: lol)

Was about to phone you and say dude, wait for 3 honks of the horn after a few times of you rinsing and repeating the above but i was turning off and you were going straight so no point. The few times I ended up behind you it was neglible difference with possibly the slipstream meaning i was catching you, will have to try again properly with us both knowin the crack.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, and completely agree about following/leading. We were both surprised though as I thought it was the 170 version hence why them being evenly matched.

But this was done on a variety of roads and with both cars leading/following - never the lead car of the pack though so always following someone else (if you get me..)

Yeah, I agree. On our cars, seems like mine has more power than standard (but I *know* it has never been remapped), so you might be right about the strong engine thing. On the 3rd gear run it was clear yours had more power than mine but perhaps not much more? I dunno. A rolling road is going to be the only way to know for sure.

Clearly a 2.0 TDI golf isnt anywhere near the power of a 330i or 2.0T A3 etc yet I kept in touch (barring the odd spot of traffic here and there) for the whole of the first run, never more than a few car lengths behind. The latter sections where it was dual carriageways clearly showed up the lack of powah though...

i wasnt trying to overtake, i was TRYING to draw level with you by braking to your speed, and everytime i did you planted it and i had to try and catch up again (if there was anyone behind they'd be able to confirm my brakelights were coming on just as you ****** off into the distance :confused: lol)

Was about to phone you and say dude, wait for 3 honks of the horn after a few times of you rinsing and repeating the above but i was turning off and you were going straight so no point. The few times I ended up behind you it was neglible difference with possibly the slipstream meaning i was catching you, will have to try again properly with us both knowin the crack.

D'oh! :p

Ohh well, next time. (Hopefully i'll have a faster car aswell ;) )

Last edited:
what you hankering after? I really want to upgrade, this is coming to the longest ive ever owned acar but I have no reason to other than i want to, the car is still a hoot to drive when i want it to be and gobbles the miles up for work when i need it to, and i really cant afford to replace it atm

I was really surprised at the power in your vectra Rob. It was a great drive and handled really well.

Naf: Your car is quick! Very nice. I had no idea they moved as quick as that :)

Some very nice cars you guys have and it was great meeting everyone :)

I think Wez was ever so slightly surprised that I overtook him in the Ti, the highlight of the day for me! Priceless look on his face :p

Awesome day chaps, cheers! And me and rG-tom nearly hit a sheep in my car... his reaction was hilarious :D

what you hankering after? I really want to upgrade, this is coming to the longest ive ever owned acar but I have no reason to other than i want to, the car is still a hoot to drive when i want it to be and gobbles the miles up for work when i need it to, and i really cant afford to replace it atm

I really want a Focus ST3 with the mountune upgrade. This is supposed to be quicker than the RS.

Need to wait for the prices to drop first though :(

dude ;)

i thought everybody knew about the 3 honks to start a race thing ?

you're just not down with the posse:p

Never had the pleasure of doing a proper 'play' before. I'm not a hooligan boy racer you see. ;) :p

Shush :p

Were you flat out? You did seem a little confused when I crept past you ;)

no i wasn't, because i wasn't expecting it, foot was only half way down and DSG was changing up at about 3.5k revs, i don't plant it everywhere lol, only when i need to.

But most of all, i didn't expect you to move into the inside lane and undertake so wasn't looking out for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom