• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official OMG I've finally got my 5850 thread **

Use at your own risk, but MSI 5850 unlock bios (core/mem = 1500/2250)

MSI_R5850_unlock.A11

sshot3.jpg

13069334.jpg

Last edited:
The Fan profile is slightly improved from the default 5850 bios, but voltages remain the same, Not quite sure why the clock limits are so high, Maybe more normal limits removed.
I suppose someone may need them for some extreme stuff ;)

Shows what happens if you get up early and do these things, i just flashed mine by mistake with the 5870 bios now i doing that FurMark on stability and the temps are at 68c fan speed on 62% are those temps to high or should i re-flash with a 5850 bios ?

Well 1050/1300 is my max overclock, here's the lastest vantage score :D

I thought you were stuck at 950 or something. What vcore has it needed to go over 1000?

Not quite the same without you 260 in there though. Did I see you sell it in the MM, I thought you'd keep it?

Shows what happens if you get up early and do these things, i just flashed mine by mistake with the 5870 bios now i doing that FurMark on stability and the temps are at 68c fan speed on 62% are those temps to high or should i re-flash with a 5850 bios ?

I've removed the links to 5870 bios' now from the OP as this is a thread about 5850s.

I can't make out if this is flashed with the 5870 or not now i took the bios link from this post

Ok, this works. Just follow the guide, written in my own words, albiet I take no credit for this.

Here's a picture of my flashed Sapphire 5870 to an Asus
Pic.png

With the Asus BIOS, I'm able to use just the MSI tool to increase clocks over 900/1300.. I've heard that AMD GPU Tool will mess with the memory timings, so I'd advise NOT to use it.

Here is the ASUS BIOS
http://rapidshare.com/files/288531683/Asus.rom

Here's the latest ATIflash

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1650/ATIFlash_3.75.html

Here's the tool to format a USB flash drive
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18807&d=1222699942

Here's the bootfiles I used
http://www.4shared.com/file/43544416/39060a9e/HPUSBFW_BOOTFILES.html?s=1 (Extract them, then make a folder called BOOTFILES, stick the extracted files into the folder)

Plug in the USB drive that you want to use.

Install and run HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.
Select the USB Drive. In the "File system" drop down box, pick FAT32. Tick "Quick Format". Tick "Create a DOS startup disk, using DOS system files located at and click the "..." and direct it to the BOOTFILES folder you made.
Click start.

Once that's done, copy the ATI Flash and ASUS BIOS into the USB drive.

Restart your PC and boot from the USB Flash drive.

Once it's booted in type
atiflash -f -p 0 asus.rom (If you're not using crossfire)

If you're using crossfire, I'd suggest you flash each card individually (For people like Virus). More so that I don't know how to flash more than one card at once :p

Good luck

Now in CCC its got 850/1200 for gpu/ram but when i run gpuz for example it still says 1440 for shaders so not sure now.

I thought you were stuck at 950 or something. What vcore has it needed to go over 1000?

Not quite the same without you 260 in there though. Did I see you sell it in the MM, I thought you'd keep it?

EK full waterblock. Need 1.25v for 1000 stability. Max clock so far now is 1070/1300.

Decided it was silly to have a watercooled gtx260 as a physx card so sold it in MM. Plus having the gtx260 card installed made my 4.6Ghz cpu overclock unstable and I could only run at 4Ghz.

Last edited:
Just to add... I've updated my sapphire 5850 with this MSI unlocked bios, it works absolutely fine. I've since set afterburner to 1.25v, gpu>950Mhz and memory>1225Mhz.

Ran furmark for 15mins to get it up to full temp, tried a couple of loops of crysis benchmark too, everything is stable, very happy, not even gonna bother tweaking with more volts these clocks will do me just fine :)

Back
Top Bottom