• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official OMG I've finally got my 5850 thread **

Just to add... I've updated my sapphire 5850 with this MSI unlocked bios, it works absolutely fine. I've since set afterburner to 1.25v, gpu>950Mhz and memory>1225Mhz.

Ran furmark for 15mins to get it up to full temp, tried a couple of loops of crysis benchmark too, everything is stable, very happy, not even gonna bother tweaking with more volts these clocks will do me just fine :)

Try 1250 or greater on the memory. The memory chips are rated at 1250 so they'll work at that speed no problems ;)

I'll post some pics up later. I was stuck at 950 prior to the block no matter what voltage i put through the core.

Max on water at 1,35v is 1080/1300 but going to stick with a bit less for 24/7. Those last few Mhz costs a lot of volts.

Currently the only temp monitoring I have done is as follows:

1.3v 1050 core 1300 memory

core under load is 33C and the vrms are 49C :D

And as for my score without the gtx260 for physx, it's not far behind as my cpu can now run at 4.5Ghz+ again (1200 points from memory). Tbh I'd rather live without the physx. I might try and pick up a cheap 9600GT and see if that will work without limiting my cpu overclock. If not, then no physx card for me. :(

Last edited:
Wrong thread mate. Try this one.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18066952

This card, or possibly it's drivers, is borked for me when it comes to standby/hibernation. It works but it doesn't seem to initialise the HDCP or something as I get no display but my amp shows that the HDMI connection is active.

It's not the first time I've seen this kind of thing with desktop components, sleep states are often a PITA. What I don't get is why it's still a problem after all these years when every laptop I've had (and that's quite a few) have worked flawlessly.

So let me get this right, to get a stable OC you need to up the GPY voltages too on these or is it a simple case of installing a 5850, updating to the unlocked BIOS and then overclocking?

I want rid of my GTX260 sooner than later so next week may pick one of these up if this is the case :p

Edit*

Screw it, my 260 OC is only a few frames behind according to reviews in games I play so I will keep it until gen 2 DX11 cards are out. No point spending £100+ on an upgrade that won't feel like an upgrade.

Last edited:
Just to add... I've updated my sapphire 5850 with this MSI unlocked bios, it works absolutely fine. I've since set afterburner to 1.25v, gpu>950Mhz and memory>1225Mhz.

Ran furmark for 15mins to get it up to full temp, tried a couple of loops of crysis benchmark too, everything is stable, very happy, not even gonna bother tweaking with more volts these clocks will do me just fine :)

so if i flash too will this save me from entering the clocks and voltage everytime after a restart?

Well 1050/1300 is my max overclock, here's the lastest vantage score :D

how come you dont do the feature tests? and why do i always get
a max of 60fps on feature test 6 when others are getting more? something to do with my refresh rate on my lcd?

so if i flash too will this save me from entering the clocks and voltage everytime after a restart?

Only clocks, not voltage as voltage is not changed in the bios and hence CCC won't change it. Just have MSI afterburner start with your system and it will set the voltage on boot up (and clocks)

Decided to get one of these now, wasn't going to before, as the reviews i looked at only showed it about 8fps faster than my 4870, but after looking at more reviews, its anywhere from 20 to 40 frames faster, so ill be getting mine Friday. :cool:

just ran vantage (default)

result:
P12650
GPU-12604
CPU-12792

spec:

i5 750
sapphire HD 5850 1GB
4GB G.Skill PC12800

is that about right?

just ran vantage (default)

result:
P12650
GPU-12604
CPU-12792

spec:

i5 750
sapphire HD 5850 1GB
4GB G.Skill PC12800

is that about right?

No, not by a long shot! (unless you haven;t overclocked anything yet?) Here's my 5850 with my paltry q9650 ;)

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1507595

Though my overclocked gtx260 with my q9650 scored 14568 (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1065955) so it's still way out. Just checked my 8800GT scored higher than that!

You sure you haven;t got aa and af switched on?

Back
Top Bottom