• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official OMG I've finally got my 5850 thread **

Decided to get one of these now, wasn't going to before, as the reviews i looked at only showed it about 8fps faster than my 4870, but after looking at more reviews, its anywhere from 20 to 40 frames faster, so ill be getting mine Friday. :cool:

There a great card the main pull for me was the low idle power usage, i accidental flashed mine with the 5870 bios thinking it was 5850, so its clocked stock at 850/1200 and so far its been mint, they do overclock well another joins the family.

There a great card the main pull for me was the low idle power usage, i accidental flashed mine with the 5870 bios thinking it was 5850, so its clocked stock at 850/1200 and so far its been mint, they do overclock well another joins the family.

Well, First thoughts are that was a little careless ;), but essentially they are the same hardware with some shader units turned off, So with the little extra voltage of the 5870 bios the card should be very happy at 850/1200

Im not buying now, they all faulty by the looks of it, loads turning up DOA, or dying after a while, so im gona leave it for now.

Is it only me seeing one thread with a dead 5850, that was DOA?

Considering how many people are overclocking with max voltages available in software I wouldn't be too shocked if a couple people have more issues than non software volt increasable cards.

But isn't loads turning up DOA or dying after a while a little over stating it, not least because they are selling out larger numbers of 5850's than you'd normally sell any other gfx on a "normal" week due to demand and the fact everyone wants one asap.

Seeing as I've been mostly at home and playing an ungodly amount of games since I got it, and its still going strong.

Im not buying now, they all faulty by the looks of it, loads turning up DOA, or dying after a while, so im gona leave it for now.

Thats odd i check every thread thats 5850 related to see what people are saying and i have only seen 1 xfx that was doa, i haven't seen one person say " I have killed my card or its died after a short while", in fact i check forums all over the net about these cards and overclocking i have not seen one person say this.

Maybe Fatboy can fill in this gap have you had many back in returns that have died ?

Well, First thoughts are that was a little careless ;), but essentially they are the same hardware with some shader units turned off, So with the little extra voltage of the 5870 bios the card should be very happy at 850/1200

I am still a bit nervous about this error i did, now my volts according to msi afterburner are 1062 now is that excessive ? it seems ok on games only hitting 60'sc @ 55% speed.

I am wondering if to put it back on a 5850 bios now or leave it as it is.

Fatboy answered in the update page and said they have had Very very few to be fare. The general view is they are exceptional product.

If they were that bad these forums would be full of people complaining all i see is people saying how good they are and how fast they run.

any ideas why 3DMark Vantage freezes when scanning for system info, it was working before i reinstalled win7.

its the latest version of 3DMark Vantage

I am still a bit nervous about this error i did, now my volts according to msi afterburner are 1062 now is that excessive ? it seems ok on games only hitting 60'sc @ 55% speed.

As far as voltage settings You will 100% be safe, Mine would run at 880mhz with that voltage
The auto fan settings may be a little low for the 5850 as the 5870 has a slightly better cooler, but it looks like You are using a manual fan anyway.

Long term I would be very surprised if there are any downsides to what You have done as the difference between the cards is a factory Hardware modification of the core and as such the risk of unlocking faulty shader units will not exist

Question, Is the card now reported as a 5870 ? , I don't know what will read it's hardware Id but there must be something ! , It would be intresting to know ;)

tbh i would say put the msi 5850 unlock bios on.

as for unlocking shader units it can't be done.

Back
Top Bottom