• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official OMG I've finally got my 5850 thread **

GPUZ 0.3.6 now supports more sensors on the 5850 :)

gpuz036.jpg

Theres definitely something wrong with these 5850's (unless this is normal for them), as i thought mine was a goner today.

Switched on, took about 10 seconds or so to start loading, fan on the card went 100% for a split second or so (as is normal), hard-drives kicked in as normal as well, then instead of the post screen appearing and booting, for some reason it just seemed to hold itself for about 5-10 seconds (monitor LED going off/on, black screen), before the post screen appeared and it began to load, very odd.

Theres definitely something wrong with these 5850's (unless this is normal for them), as i thought mine was a goner today.

Switched on, took about 10 seconds or so to start loading, fan on the card went 100% for a split second or so (as is normal), hard-drives kicked in as normal as well, then instead of the post screen appearing and booting, for some reason it just seemed to hold itself for about 5-10 seconds (monitor LED going off/on, black screen), before the post screen appeared and it began to load, very odd.

Be on that black screen all the time soon. ;)

sometimes when i booted in to windows the fan when up to 100% for 5 seconds then went normal.. :confused:

so far only 9.11 beta drivers work better with my card..

just installed my asus, working on drivers that it came with off the CD and on win 7 beta (7100). Not done many power cycles yet though! All seems fine, vantage ran ok and temps seem fine (idle at 36 in a warm room)

This is exactly what happens to me. I got the card the same time as my new setup so was wondering what the reason was.

This is exactly what happens to me. I got the card the same time as my new setup so was wondering what the reason was.

Yeah seems odd, as it does everything normally when switched on, the gfx card fan goes 100% for about a second then slows, the drives kick in, the post screen appears and we load.

Only when i put the 5850 in, we get the gfx card going 100% for about a second before slowing down, the drives kick in, then it seems to sorta hold for about 5 seconds or so with the monitor blank and its light flashing (as no display), then the post screen appears and we load.

Then today after the 5 or so second hold, the post screen was like when you havn't got your Tv aerial in and the channels not tuned, but it was all coloured fuzzyness, then it went off and came back for the Starting Windows Screen (so that was fuzzy coloured), then it went off for the Welcome Screen, which appeared fine, and Windows appeared fine, and been fine ever since.

Restarted a couple of times, all fine, no fuzzyness, no hold, switched off and back on a couple of times after a few minutes or so, and again, all fine, no fuzzyness, no hold.

Only get the hold on a switch on from a cold boot, and this morning got the fuzzy screen as well on a cold boot.

Looked like this (obviously without the HBO logo :p), and was all red and green.

hbofuzz.jpg

Last edited:
last night something weird happened to mine, abit hard to describe but the text went messy like litters missing and in multi colour. i uninstalled the driver then then reinstalled them but that didn't fix it. the only way that'll fix it was to change the res to 640x480 then back up to 1920x1200

Last edited:
Well switched on today, and got the same as above, fuzzy coloured screen till the welcome screen, so if its just going to do that from a cold boot, and only until the Welcome Screen, then im not really to fussed tbh, as it works completely fine after that. :p

After doing the usually rounds of HWbot results I have finally started playing games again on my 5850 and I must say I am impressed.

At 1920 x 1200 I thought I would give NFS shift a go with lots of eye candy.

Applied full detail, 16xAF, quality mipmaps, and 8x super sample edge detect AA.

Result? A very pleasing 59fps normal dropping to the lowest of 45 fps. Well chuffed and it looks gorgeous.

Still can't drive for toffee though :(

I think some of the problems people are having may just be MB firm ware issues, As with all new components it takes time for every possible combination of different makes ect to be tested fully.

I am very impressed with my gigabyte card glad i saved and waited for the 5850 card. Next i am going to change the cpu to a quad core.

Back
Top Bottom