• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official OMG I've finally got my 5850 thread **

Soldato
Asus bios flashed no problems :D

CCC limits now 1200 core 1400 memory

Asus smartdoctor works and so does MSI

Interesting for those on water is that Asus lets you overvolt to 1.5v :eek:

Plus allows core to go to 1200/1400 as well.

I have tried it but 1.5v only gave me 1110 stable (temps 40C) so really not worth the risk/voltage over 1.25v for 1050Mhz day to day.

However, mileage will vary with cards and if you get a good one then perhaps you will do better. I always seem to get poor performing cards me :(

Anyway off to post some new records for HWbot with my 1110/1300 5850 GTX295 "eat you for breakfast" card.

Have fun guys! :D

Was that about the same clocks on the MSI bios ?
I thought also the Cards were Hardware limited to 1.35volts on the core so the Asus tweaker may not be doing anything above that, but it's not clear but it looks like You are seeing small gains can You clarify ?

Associate
Just got mine this morning, haven't tested in games yet as I'm having trouble with 64-bit windows 7, doesn't get past expanding files 93%, then can't find a file?? I hope I don't have a dud copy been waiting for weeks to finish this build!

Caporegime
Was that about the same clocks on the MSI bios ?
I thought also the Cards were Hardware limited to 1.35volts on the core so the Asus tweaker may not be doing anything above that, but it's not clear but it looks like You are seeing small gains can You clarify ?

For the same voltage I got the same clocks with the MSI and the Asus.

Unless MSI reports the voltage wrong, when you set it above 1.35v it does definitely show up the gain in MSI.

I would also say that temps rise so pretty sure it does.

It does have a warning on smartdoctor though after you go above 1.35v that this voltage is out of specification for the 5850 card and you do so at your own risk and Asus accepts no liability etc.

I guess their warranty only covers you for 1.35v but that doesn't bother me since my Sapphire isn't even covered for that!

And yes, only small gains but was the same once I went past 1.25v which will do 1050Mhz. 1.35v got me to 1080, max gets me to 1110. Not worth all those volts for that small gain IMO.

Soldato
Good work all round sir. And yes those EK blocks are lovely when attached to the 5850 cards! NFS:S at 1680x1050 with 16AF and 8AA was 70 degrees under stock cooling. Now 41 !!!!

Caporegime
Day 5 of LoadsaMoney's log...................everything is normal!! :p

:p

Was fine again when i switched on today, but just while browsing, whole screen went like this :-

fbx0032.jpg

With red horizontal and vertical lines as well, restarted and shes back fine.

Gona pop the 4870 back in later, see if i get any of these probs with that for next couple of days, and if so, then its new mobo time, or i suppose i could try one of me other slots as well, as it may just be the slot thats knacked.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Day 6 of Loadsamoney's log..............the screen looks like a gingham shirt! :D

Seriously though, I read today that the yields are really low for these cards. Maybe that's why some are giving a bit of trouble?

Soldato
Asus bios flashed no problems :D

CCC limits now 1200 core 1400 memory

Asus smartdoctor works and so does MSI

Interesting for those on water is that Asus lets you overvolt to 1.5v :eek:

Plus allows core to go to 1200/1400 as well.

I have tried it but 1.5v only gave me 1110 stable (temps 40C) so really not worth the risk/voltage over 1.25v for 1050Mhz day to day.

However, mileage will vary with cards and if you get a good one then perhaps you will do better. I always seem to get poor performing cards me :(

Anyway off to post some new records for HWbot with my 1110/1300 5850 GTX295 "eat you for breakfast" card.

Have fun guys! :D

ah cool might try that with mine, is there a windows flasher for ati cards that works on the 5850? Also ive noticed there are two asus bios's on that link which one did you use 090916 or 090925?

Caporegime
I can't remember but it was the one when you clicked details it didn't have any whereas the other bios said it was the same bios as lots of other make cards.

And no don't EVER use a windows based bios flash program even if there was one available IMO.

Soldato
I can't remember but it was the one when you clicked details it didn't have any whereas the other bios said it was the same bios as lots of other make cards.

And no don't EVER use a windows based bios flash program even if there was one available IMO.

ah ok, is there a dummies guide to how to flash them? Its been a long long time, ati x800 flash was the last

Caporegime
Download atiflash (link on first post of this thread)

Asuming you know how to make a usb boot drive put the bios on the usb stick. Reboot and enter bios and ensure that boot order has usb stick first.

Save and exit and boot up from flash drive.

Force bios update by typing this at the C: prompt

ATIFLASH -f -p 0 "bios name"

(this assumes you have just one card and that the 5850 is in your main/1st slot)

I renamed the download bios file to something nice and short such as "asus"

Soldato
Download atiflash (link on first post of this thread)

Asuming you know how to make a usb boot drive put the bios on the usb stick. Reboot and enter bios and ensure that boot order has usb stick first.

Save and exit and boot up from flash drive.

Force bios update by typing this at the C: prompt

ATIFLASH -f -p 0 "bios name"

(this assumes you have just one card and that the 5850 is in your main/1st slot)

I renamed the download bios file to something nice and short such as "asus"
cheers for that :)

Soldato
For the same voltage I got the same clocks with the MSI and the Asus.

Unless MSI reports the voltage wrong, when you set it above 1.35v it does definitely show up the gain in MSI.

I would also say that temps rise so pretty sure it does.

It does have a warning on smartdoctor though after you go above 1.35v that this voltage is out of specification for the 5850 card and you do so at your own risk and Asus accepts no liability etc.

I guess their warranty only covers you for 1.35v but that doesn't bother me since my Sapphire isn't even covered for that!

And yes, only small gains but was the same once I went past 1.25v which will do 1050Mhz. 1.35v got me to 1080, max gets me to 1110. Not worth all those volts for that small gain IMO.

Ok, Cheers
Does seem that they can be pushed a little higher than 1.35 then, I suppose without a DVM to actually measure the voltage We don't know how much over. Bottom Line as You found out is all these things seem to have sweet spots which are not at the Max and best for normal use

Back
Top Bottom