**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Associate
Me neither :p
But until something comes out with all screen display by using some sort of under display camera tech I'll be sticking with my 7T Pro. Can't see anything on the horizon in 2020 anyway.
I think both Oppo and Samsung were rumoured to debut that this year but who knows with the current climate.

Associate
I've been out of the contract loop for a while now as I've tended to buy the handset and keep a rolling monthly SIM, but wow, are phone networks this out of touch?

One Plus 8 Pro from Three equates to £1,445 over a two year contract for 30GB p/m which my current SIM offers.
Keeping the SIM and buying the phone from Three on PAYG = £1,393, which includes the forced £10 top up and Three's price is probably higher than other handset only prices elsewhere. So there's absolutely zero reason to pay more and tie myself into a 2 year contract.

That's even before the fact I ordered a SIM from Smarty for £10 p/m for 30GB - effectively meaning a £1,225 cost if you buy the phone from Three.

I'll be waiting to see what the Pixel 5 offers before choosing to go that route, stay with the Pixel 4 or move to iPhone. Pixel camera and Google Assistant (which is fantastic on the Pixel due to the instantaneous nature of it) vs having a platform with decent wearables and tablets.

If the magic keyboard price is anything to go by, the iPhone 12 prices are likely to be astronomical this year (both SIM free and on contract). A move over from my XS to the Pixel 4 or 5 is my likely destination in October.

Associate
Same here apart from the "Ooo shiny" factor, I'll probably wait for the 9.

I so wish i coudl resist that"New Ooo shiny" Itch lol. but i do feel after this pandemic people will be counting there pennies more closely thus trying to ignore the itch to buy the latest and greatest. so i think the second hand market will rise more than the new sector.

Soldato
The OP8 has made me really want a 7T Pro now, perhaps not exactly what they intended but there we go! Hopefully there'll be some decent deals on the older models with the 8 out.

Soldato
The OP8 has made me really want a 7T Pro now, perhaps not exactly what they intended but there we go! Hopefully there'll be some decent deals on the older models with the 8 out.
I wouldn't bank on it, OnePlus aren't exactly renowned for their deals. At very best there may be a £100 off deal but in reality it would likely be £50 off if it were to happen at all. They actually tend to just stop selling older models than let them go cheap. Amazon don't even have new stock of it - in fact they're selling Warehouse Used units for £25 MORE than the RRP for new :p!

Soldato
I wouldn't bank on it, OnePlus aren't exactly renowned for their deals. At very best there may be a £100 off deal but in reality it would likely be £50 off if it were to happen at all. They actually tend to just stop selling older models than let them go cheap. Amazon don't even have new stock of it - in fact they're selling Warehouse Used units for £25 MORE than the RRP for new :p!

That's why in the end I've just picked up my 8 Pro in Onyx Black. I've been waiting for the price drops but they haven't happened. I got the 8 pro for £760 at JL after a work based discount scheme gave 5% off, while the 7T Pro was going to cost me £665, may as well get the new one at that stage. The used prices are far too high, and finding a good condition one is even harder.

I'm not sure about it at first, it's just a phone with a VERY nice screen so far. The black is a lot nicer than I thought it would be, and I generally skin my phones any way; anything is nicer than that green vomit colour. Got to get everything set up and try it out for a few days before having any verdict though.

Soldato
I've been waiting for the price drops but they haven't happened.

My observation of OnePlus pricing suggests they have a deliberate 'no discounts' strategy. You might get a few quid off here and there or a pair of earphones, but their phones are never deeply discounted in the same way as a Samsung might be.

Soldato
My observation of OnePlus pricing suggests they have a deliberate 'no discounts' strategy. You might get a few quid off here and there or a pair of earphones, but their phones are never deeply discounted in the same way as a Samsung might be.
In a way you have to sort of admire that model. I'm not saying it's good but from a customer's point of view I'd rather they behaved like this than like Google charging an absolute arm and a leg for their inferior devices and then slashing the price just weeks after release.

Soldato
In a way you have to sort of admire that model.

I agree - if a product is priced fairly, then you can buy it in confidence knowing that you aren't going to find a week after purchase that it's dropped by two hundred quid. Contrast this with Samsung where anyone who has an eye on value for money has to keep checking for sale prices because at some point, those products *will* be significantly reduced. I remember the Note 9 512Gb. I think it was about a grand at launch, but didn't sell very well and by Black Friday you could pick it up for £599. That's terrible for the loyal customer who bought it on release.

On the other hand, OnePlus update their range every 6 months so every buyer only has a maximum of 6 months holding 'the best' handset the company offers.

EDIT - I wonder if the OnePlus adherence to maintaining RRP will be stress tested now that they've stuck their prices up.

Soldato

You may be right! The only decent deals I've seen lately are for Chinese/international versions flashed to UK spec, and that's just not a path I want to go down to save a bit of money.

Soldato
I've been reading on xda developer's forum that there are reports of the Oneplus 8 wifi over 5g not working properly.

Quote : the oneplus 8 pro (at least mine and many others) seems to have some issue with 5Ghz WIFI.. there are a few bug reports and threads on the OP Community..

So far the phone sees 5GHz wifis when you boot the phone up for the first time and connects regularly.. after few hours (sometimes less) it disconnects and don't see any 5Ghz Wifi.. the only fix is rebooting the phone but it will last only few hours .

Was thinking of getting this.. any of you that have it have problems over the 5Ghz Wifi?

Soldato
Mines been turned on for over 12 hours now without any issues with my 5Ghz WiFi (Google WiFi). I wouldn't notice if it did tbh as it's dual band and would revert to 2.4Ghz seamlessly.

Associate
Just ordered the Oneplus 8pro 256gb from the forest. Will be delivered tomorrow. 14 left in stock apparently!!

Back
Top Bottom