**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Associate
Is anyone upgrading from a 7 Pro and have both in hands? I have no interest in upgrading, just wondering how the green compares to last year's blue.

Soldato
I never bother with the 5ghz band for mobile devices, I got fed up with the dropouts as I moved around the house. And can't say I've noticed my WhatsApps coming through any quicker between 2.4 and 5 on my phone :p
5ghz for fixed devices and 2.4 for mobile range.

Soldato
Is anyone upgrading from a 7 Pro and have both in hands? I have no interest in upgrading, just wondering how the green compares to last year's blue.

I'm not sure I've heard anyone say they like the green, or if I have it must have got lost among all the negative opinions about the colour.

Soldato
I'm not sure I've heard anyone say they like the green, or if I have it must have got lost among all the negative opinions about the colour.
I'm definitely not all that enamoured with it, if the blue had been released here I may have been tempted. As it is it's not worth the £899, not by a long shot. Owning the 7T Pro I really like the matt/frosted texture on the back, I couldn't go back to regular glossy so the base 8 Pro is out.

Soldato
And that chromatic aura colour on the standard 8 (whatever it's called) looks great. I can't understand why that's not available on the Pro.

It seems to be a 'thing' with phone manufacturers that cheaper models in a range get a greater choice of colours, while the more expensive ones get fewer. I'm sure it's down to cost.

Soldato
This video is a great showcase for the OnePlus 8 pro cameras, looks like much needed boost OP needed vs previous generations. Plus I didn't realise the smaller 8 was using all the old camera's from the last gen. 8 pro is they way to go if you want the cam upgrades. Colour me impressed so far.

Still waiting for mine to arrive.

Soldato
This video is a great showcase for the OnePlus 8 pro cameras, looks like much needed boost OP needed vs previous generations.

I can't watch it at the mo - what's the take away from it? I've read plenty of mixed stuff about the cameras, ranging from them being at Samsung level (but behind Pixel 4 and iPhone 11), to another place saying they were only behind the iPhone 11, along with lots of random noise offering every opinion under the sun.

Soldato
I can't watch it at the mo - what's the take away from it? I've read plenty of mixed stuff about the cameras, ranging from them being at Samsung level (but behind Pixel 4 and iPhone 11), to another place saying they were only behind the iPhone 11, along with lots of random noise offering every opinion under the sun.

For me it's the dynamic range, clarity, colours, sharpness and details of the shots coming out of the pro. They remind me of my Pixel. And the fact they used great quality sensors in the main and ultrawide lens makes a marked difference. Nightmode is also much improved and the macro being on the 48mp wide is a genius touch. Video cam looks good too. The zoom quality looks to be the only key let down for me and I'm fine with that.

Soldato
Usually when the smoke clears and the clicks dry up, the YouTube reviewers seem to change their tune when it comes to OnePlus cameras. They big things up when everyone's excited, and later on reveal their real thoughts.

Soldato
Usually when the smoke clears and the clicks dry up, the YouTube reviewers seem to change their tune when it comes to OnePlus cameras. They big things up when everyone's excited, and later on reveal their real thoughts.

Yet it seems to be the opposite of that so far; initial impressions weren't entirely positive but with a couple of subsequent updates they've improved significantly.

Associate
OP8 Pro here - It’s too long and the curved screen is treacherous for false touches. Screen is nice, colour is Onyx Black which has a nice finish and battery seems good.

OS feels a bit unpolished in places and I prefer the Samsung UI and added features. The S20 Ultra’s flatter screen is much better which also makes it feel better in hand. Lack of AOD is frustrating.

Anything you want to know? It’s going back to JL next week.

Back
Top Bottom