• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Associate
Just ordered: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cooler-master-masterliquid-240-aio-cpu-cooler-hs-07d-cm.html
Should come Saturday, would have been tomorrow but I've got a day op.. boooo!, heard great things about it for such a cheap AIO.

Hope to get some nice low temps and decent clock speed on my R5 1600, I contemplated a custom loop but with no known proper GPU blocks for my Sapphire Nitro+ 480 8g I thought it a bit pointless right now. Rather go AIO for now until such time I upgrade graphics and then look at possibly dipping my toe in proper watercooling.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Gave it a good go but alas, no joy. With those volts and timings, the first exit and restart works fine and I can get to Windows and test for a bit. Restart to tighten tRC... no post.

From there on, the post screen won't show (monitor doesn't power up / signal out of range), but about 1 in 3 cold starts will boot windows anyway (the heck?) and get to the login screen. However at that point, I'm totally locked out of the bios and only a CMOS clear will get me back in so... I'm too confused to continue fiddling, tbh, and I'm scared that eventually I'll push something that just out and out bricks it. I will just be happy with my 2x16 at 3066 c14 :)

Also I couldn't even find the 1T/2T in my bios. Is it called something other than Command Rate?

In other news, I bought a case window, then realised I have to sit on the floor to see my RGB memory through it anyway. A day of many fails! :D

Yeah welcome to ryzen. Pretty painful. You won’t brick it though. Are the failed cold boots showing a code on the board? F9 is common for failed memory training.

Soldato
Yeah welcome to ryzen. Pretty painful. You won’t brick it though. Are the failed cold boots showing a code on the board? F9 is common for failed memory training.

Don't think the board has any readout for error codes :/ It's really odd, sometimes it will be "frequency out of range" or black screen through post, but the SSD's going and Windows pops up as usual... much oddity.

Soldato
To be fair, Ryzen never claimed to support faster than 2666. It's the motherboards that said that, and they're all (OC) to indicate that it's an overclock and potentially not stable.

But it does indicate a major weakness in the memory controller, imho, and I really hope they address it in Zen+...

Soldato
Don't really understand this memory problem, with intel i just set to rated speed and thats it.

Anything over 2666MHz is technically an overclock and not guaranteed by AMD. It's down to the motherboard manufacturers to ensure stability. Just because you can buy 3200MHz - 4233MHz RAM off the shelf, doesn't mean you can plug and play.

Associate
Just ordered: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cooler-master-masterliquid-240-aio-cpu-cooler-hs-07d-cm.html
Should come Saturday, would have been tomorrow but I've got a day op.. boooo!, heard great things about it for such a cheap AIO.

Hope to get some nice low temps and decent clock speed on my R5 1600, I contemplated a custom loop but with no known proper GPU blocks for my Sapphire Nitro+ 480 8g I thought it a bit pointless right now. Rather go AIO for now until such time I upgrade graphics and then look at possibly dipping my toe in proper watercooling.

I had to masterliquid 280 it leaked all over my system damage motherboard and graphics card took a month to get a replacement in the interim i bough the Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 and temps are pretty much the same. I got the masterliquid 280 still in the box not even open. I am scared to add it back to my system.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I had to masterliquid 280 it leaked all over my system damage motherboard and graphics card took a month to get a replacement in the interim i bough the Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 and temps are pretty much the same. I got the masterliquid 280 still in the box not even open. I am scared to add it back to my system.

Had a ML 240 running on my Ryzen since April, no issues whatsoever. Been a great cooler. Sounds like you just got unlucky.

Soldato
I'm sure it's already been mentioned somewhere in the plethora of ryzen threads but any one any idea why a perfectly stable system showing normal temps etc suddenly starts showing the cpu temp at ~ -8°c?! previously was showing what I took to be perfectly normal temps - high 20's/low 30's (under water)
nothing changed, nothing added, just booted one day and the cpu temp was reporting below freezing!

2 compound my anger a couple of days later and my ram is now erroring all over the place so that's for rma now too :(:mad::(:mad:

Soldato
Soldato
Already beginning to get tired of overclocks not applying. Just checked my memory and RAM and it's back at stock. FFS.

(MSI Tomahawk BIOS v1.7 and R5 1600).

I know what you mean, the memory training on Ryzen is very poor. They could do with an bios option that allows you to easily force a known working config with no training or just fix the training.

Soldato

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Not sure if of use to anyone but I noticed my machine stuttering occasionally and the only common trace I could make was that windows had booted to Q code 40 rather than A0.

Turns out that means it has been awoken from a sleep state rather than clean booted. Disabled hybrid shutdown in windows 10 and now boot to A0 every time. Stutters fixed too.

Probably just another gigabyte issue...

Soldato
What's happened to Gigabyte of late? I remember them being good, but they're letting us down with several of their Ryzen boards these days... Silly auto-volts and now this mad bios! :(

They probably just aren't putting much resource into Ryzen. Remember when it launched there was all the talk of some board manufacturers not putting much effort into it because they thought Ryzen would be a massive failure.

Gigabyte in general are pretty solid with a really good UK RMA process

Soldato
What's happened to Gigabyte of late? I remember them being good, but they're letting us down with several of their Ryzen boards these days... Silly auto-volts and now this mad bios! :(
never buying gigabyte again even my GPU cooler is terrible, it hits 78C on AIB 1080ti.
lob in my EVGA hits 71C in the same case at same time.

Their BIOS devs just don't listens i reported multiple bugs in the BIOS with clear instructions to reproduce 0 Feedback.
I reported a Software issue with GPU Tool where FAns would no longer spin & was fixed in a week.

Associate
My Master liquid 240 AIO came this morning (no haribo though :()

Going to install in a day or two, just wondering if I go top (exhaust) or front (intake). Got 3 140mm phanteks case fans, currently 1 intake front, 2 exhaust top back and top above cpu part of mobo.

Watched a few bids that seem to say front though I've read other contradictory opinions.

On separate note, I've not had any issue with tomahawk, latest bios and clocks holding. I only run my memory off xmp-2 profile though 2933mhz.

Back
Top Bottom