• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
It could be the temperature adjustment AMD put in place for the x series CPU's which when running a non x series like a 1600 means the temps are reported too high. Have a check in your motherboard BIOS for the setting.

On mine it is called sense mi skew.

Soldato
Gigabyte in general are pretty solid with a really good UK RMA process

That was my thinking, I've had Gigabyte products in the past and all of them lived until they were outdated, none of them giving any problems along the way... Here's hoping they pay some attention now that Ryzen is clearly not a flop and push some better bioses out. And frikking stop having variable base voltages. If you're running with an offset of, say, 0.1 on my board for whatever reason, then decide to OC, it'll go to a base voltage of 1.45 plus that offset... not desirable! The bios needs to understand there's an absolute cap and there should be a really clear setting to override it (or not).

Soldato
Yes I've used the win 7 patcher to create a usb drive but when it gets to setup screen it blue screens saying BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. But my other win 7 thumb drive works but it doesn't have keyboard and mouse support, which is what ASrocks tool is supposed to fix.

Soldato
Yes I've used the win 7 patcher to create a usb drive but when it gets to setup screen it blue screens saying BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. But my other win 7 thumb drive works but it doesn't have keyboard and mouse support, which is what ASrocks tool is supposed to fix.

Have legacy USB mode switched on in the BIOS ?

Soldato
Not sure I'll check it tomorrow. Just installed windows 10 but don't like it.

My 1600 temps are good in windows though. 28c idle. That Arctic Silver 5 was worth putting on!

Associate
Not sure I'll check it tomorrow. Just installed windows 10 but don't like it.

My 1600 temps are good in windows though. 28c idle. That Arctic Silver 5 was worth putting on!

Not sure it’ll help, and you probably know this already, but the first things I do after a Win 10 install are get Classic shell running, turn off the Cortana crud, and run anti beacon to disable as much of the ‘telemetry’ as possible. You can get it to look and act quite similar to 7 with classic shell. It can be done without seeing the abomination of the new start menu once!

My 1600 idles in Windows at 22/23 degrees. That’s with it oc’d to 3.8 with the wraith cooler, and using the pre-applied compound. I tightened the screws until they stopped - it felt like there was a hard limit built in.

Associate
Think I was lucky with the chip - the only change I made in the bios was setting vCore to +0.042 over default. It runs at 1.284v under load.

Can’t get the RAM above 3066 though. In hindsight I probably shouldn’t have gone with Corsair, but I’m pretty pleased with the results overall.

The 22 degree idling was with one of my case fans off - after getting it hooked up (I needed a splitter) hwinfo is now telling me that it’s idling at 19 after 10 minutes which seems insane given the room it’s in isn’t much colder than that at the moment.

I’m running a Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 in a Corsair Air 240 using the preinstalled fans.

Soldato
Not sure it’ll help, and you probably know this already, but the first things I do after a Win 10 install are get Classic shell running, turn off the Cortana crud, and run anti beacon to disable as much of the ‘telemetry’ as possible. You can get it to look and act quite similar to 7 with classic shell. It can be done without seeing the abomination of the new start menu once!

My 1600 idles in Windows at 22/23 degrees. That’s with it oc’d to 3.8 with the wraith cooler, and using the pre-applied compound. I tightened the screws until they stopped - it felt like there was a hard limit built in.

Ambient temp ?

Impressive temps, means naff all if you are in a room at -10 though :p

Associate
Indeed.... :D

Room was/is a couple of degrees cooler, but not dramatically so. See my post above yours - it’s now reporting 19 for the CPU, chipset at 40 and system1 at 31. I’m not convinced it’s reporting accurately - the cpu temp seems too low to me.

Soldato
Below ambient is definitely cause to question the sensor in the absence of phase change cooling...

That said, my 1600x idles between 27 and 29 in a room around 21-22. They really aren't hot chips at stock speeds, but I don't see how you can cool them below room temperature with a fan blowing room temperature air through a heatsink. Maybe you have something thinking you're on a 1600X and applying an offset of -n degrees?

Back
Top Bottom