• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
@AMDMatt

Do you know anything about the Ryzen master suite?

Out of interest, is there any particular reason you're using this software rather than doing things in the BIOS?

Things may have (probably have) moved on since my previous experience, but I've always hated these software-based monitoring and overclocking suites. They always used to feel bloated and slow, and I never used one that didn't cause one problem or another (whether it was inaccurate readings, inappropriate overclock settings, system conflicts...). What does this program/suite add in functionality? (And is it worth me installing it? :) )

Soldato
Out of interest, is there any particular reason you're using this software rather than doing things in the BIOS?

Things may have (probably have) moved on since my previous experience, but I've always hated these software-based monitoring and overclocking suites. They always used to feel bloated and slow, and I never used one that didn't cause one problem or another (whether it was inaccurate readings, inappropriate overclock settings, system conflicts...). What does this program/suite add in functionality? (And is it worth me installing it? :) )
I use it because for some unknown reason the gigabyte x470 aorus ultra gaming motherboard there is no cpu voltage setting, only a setting for, +0.006,0.015 etc and that is annoying when you don't know what it is already set to
The only advantage to ryzen master is oc the cpu and volts in Windows without having to restart the pc.

Associate
Based on what the Stilt says, all Ryzen 2nd gen chips he got his hands on reached the highest their IMC could go with an SoC voltage of 1.1v so there doesn't really seem to be a need to go higher.
1st gen isn't too different, going over 1.1v probably won't change anything and in some cases you can drop it to closer to 1v and still remain stable.

Gee

Gee

Soldato

I wouldn't bother mate. You've got a decent board and ASUS have a good BIOS too.

Associate
I use it because for some unknown reason the gigabyte x470 aorus ultra gaming motherboard there is no cpu voltage setting, only a setting for, +0.006,0.015 etc and that is annoying when you don't know what it is already set to
The only advantage to ryzen master is oc the cpu and volts in Windows without having to restart the pc.

normally you can type the voltage you want you don't have to use the +/- keys. I can't imagine an x470 board doesn't have voltage settings that are usable.

Soldato

Right, gotcha.

Is it any better than these AI Suite type programs used to be?

I wouldn't bother mate. You've got a decent board and ASUS have a good BIOS too.

Cool. Good to know. Cheers.

On another note, what cooler would be most recommended when I get around to pushing the XFR/PB performance on this chip? I'm leaning towards the NH-D15SE-AM4. It looks like it performs on a par with most of the AIO coolers, whilst also being very quite at idle.

Is that overkill for Ryzen, or would I benefit from the cooling if pushing things?

Associate
Right, gotcha.

Is it any better than these AI Suite type programs used to be?

Cool. Good to know. Cheers.

On another note, what cooler would be most recommended when I get around to pushing the XFR/PB performance on this chip? I'm leaning towards the NH-D15SE-AM4. It looks like it performs on a par with most of the AIO coolers, whilst also being very quite at idle.

Is that overkill for Ryzen, or would I benefit from the cooling if pushing things?

I have that cooler and it performs well. Very quite and good cooling, fans need to work a bit harder in this weather but before it was quite even under stress tests.

Soldato
I have that cooler and it performs well. Very quite and good cooling, fans need to work a bit harder in this weather but before it was quite even under stress tests.

Are you running a Ryzen system? If so, how does the cooling affect single- and multi-core boosts? I'm basically mulling over whether it's worth getting a cooler this expensive for Ryzen...

Associate
Are you running a Ryzen system? If so, how does the cooling affect single- and multi-core boosts? I'm basically mulling over whether it's worth getting a cooler this expensive for Ryzen...

Yeah it’s paired with a 2700x. It did an all core boost of just over 4ghz and single was 4.35ghz. It’s dropped a little with the heat as I’ve not changed the fan profile as I prefer it silent.

Soldato
Yeah it’s paired with a 2700x. It did an all core boost of just over 4ghz and single was 4.35ghz. It’s dropped a little with the heat as I’ve not changed the fan profile as I prefer it silent.

Ok, that's nice boosting. I think I will grab the Noctua in a month or two. My stock system is hitting 77C on the stock HSF even on a brief CB run. I'll definitely want better cooling to get the most from this chip.

On a related note, what thermal compound is everyone recommending these days? Thermal Grizly? (Seem to recall I've seen that mentioned from time to time)

Associate
Ok, that's nice boosting. I think I will grab the Noctua in a month or two. My stock system is hitting 77C on the stock HSF even on a brief CB run. I'll definitely want better cooling to get the most from this chip.

On a related note, what thermal compound is everyone recommending these days? Thermal Grizly? (Seem to recall I've seen that mentioned from time to time)

Yeah I used Thermal Grizzy and it works well. Just ran a bench with everything on default and it boosted to 39.4 all core with max temp of 56. Fans never went above 800rpm so it has some decent headroom if you push the fans a little harder, room is fairly hot as well so good result.

Soldato
Yeah I used Thermal Grizzy and it works well. Just ran a bench with everything on default and it boosted to 39.4 all core with max temp of 56. Fans never went above 800rpm so it has some decent headroom if you push the fans a little harder, room is fairly hot as well so good result.

Okay. Good to know. I'll grab the Noctua and some TG in a couple of months then I reckon.

Cheers! :)

Soldato
Just ran my first game since putting together this Ryzen 2600x rig - Quantum Break.

I was surprised to see all 12 threads being loaded to some degree - one or two were over 50%, but the remainder were all 15-40% too. And it did give a smoother gaming experience than the 2500k I came from. There are no more of the very slight (and admittedly only quite infrequent) <1s hitches I was seeing in this game previously. It was all a solid 60fps.

All cores boosting to 4050-4100MHz during gameplay, which seems okay for stock settings and the stock cooler? CPU temps were touching 68-70C, so it may be limiting itself a little?

I know this is hardly the most demanding game out there, but it's also one that, whilst it was running generally well on my old system, did have very occasional micro-stutters that now seem to have disappeared (though could be early days to decide this), and also as it's not exactly a new title I didn't think I'd see it loading all 12 threads as it seems to be doing. Or perhaps it is one of the games that just likes threads?

Only my first run in a game, but initially boding well for me with Ryzen.

Back
Top Bottom