• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
These where the values I recorded from a Gamers Nexus video he did:

Max safe voltages for Ryzen 2:

Dram = 1.5v max
SOC = 1.25v
CPU = 1.38v
80c

Slightly misleading.
  • I wouldn't go much further than 1.4v on anything other than Samsung RAM. If using Hynix for example, be careful beyond 1.4v.
  • These volts do not take into account overshooting and LLC. Spikes can occur on load change.
  • You shouldn't need anywhere near 1.25v on SOC and this will degrade your chip quickly if you mess it it up. If you need beyond 1.15v, then something else is wrong IMO.

Soldato
Lol good spot

It really was!

But, apart from my idiocy on mis-reading the diagram, who on earth makes the decision that when there are two slots for something like RAM, you number them 1 and 2, and then require people to put RAM in slot 2 first?! It's so damned counter-intuitive. C'mon people, some of us are complete fools who need all the help we can get! :)

Associate
It really was!

But, apart from my idiocy on mis-reading the diagram, who on earth makes the decision that when there are two slots for something like RAM, you number them 1 and 2, and then require people to put RAM in slot 2 first?! It's so damned counter-intuitive. C'mon people, some of us are complete fools who need all the help we can get! :)

Your not the only one...i can be a complete noob as well.

Soldato
So, now I'm happy with my RAM, I'm still a bit concerned with the CPU voltages I'm seeing in HWinfo. If these are correct, I'm seeing fairly regular voltages of 1.45, 1.48 and even spikes to 1.5. The incidences of 1.45 and 1.48 don't seem like spikes, and it reports these settings quite regularly. This is dangerously high, isn't it?

Associate
Well i don't know which type of 8pack ram you have but according to this > https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...ual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html#comments

The sweet spot for voltage on that is v1.20-v1.40

I agree the voltage is a bit high indeed.

edit

Well from what i can gather the max voltage for 8 pack ram is 1.40v yours is a bit high but not dangerously high if you catch my drift but to be on the safe side try and lower the voltage so it runs at 1.40 volts.

Soldato
Well i don't know which type of 8pack ram you have but according to this > https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...ual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html#comments

The sweet spot for voltage on that is v1.20-v1.40

I agree the voltage is a bit high indeed.

edit

Well from what i can gather the max voltage for 8 pack ram is 1.40v yours is a bit high but not dangerously high if you catch my drift but to be on the safe side try and lower the voltage so it runs at 1.40 volts.

Actually, I was talking about CPU vcore there. I *think* my RAM is now okay at 1.35v and 3200MHz (will tweak more later).

And I notice that when I installed the chipset drivers, it had defaulted to Ryzen power plan, which was sending my core boosts and voltages crazy! Even sat in Windows, cores were seemingly randomly shooting up to around 4.2GHz and 1.45-1.5v! On Windows Balanced plan they've settled down and are staying at lower idle speeds and 0.8v. Something is seriously up with the Ryzen power plan it seems (though I seem to recall I'd seen other people saying that too).

Associate
Actually, I was talking about CPU vcore there. I *think* my RAM is now okay at 1.35v and 3200MHz (will tweak more later).

And I notice that when I installed the chipset drivers, it had defaulted to Ryzen power plan, which was sending my core boosts and voltages crazy! Even sat in Windows, cores were seemingly randomly shooting up to around 4.2GHz and 1.45-1.5v! On Windows Balanced plan they've settled down and are staying at lower idle speeds and 0.8v. Something is seriously up with the Ryzen power plan it seems (though I seem to recall I'd seen other people saying that too).

My bad,

iWKad22.jpg #

Associate
Either way it should be on amd's website which will tell you which maximum voltage which is safe for the processor,

I remember intel had the same when i had a q9550 back in the day and overclocked the q9550 so i knew the max safe voltage.

But i need to research what the max safe voltage is for my 2700x because i will overclock it for sure and it will be or should be easy to overclock it to 4.35ghz.

Soldato
Either way it should be on amd's website which will tell you which maximum voltage which is safe for the processor,

I remember intel had the same when i had a q9550 back in the day and overclocked the q9550 so i knew the max safe voltage.

But i need to research what the max safe voltage is for my 2700x because i will overclock it for sure and it will be or should be easy to overclock it to 4.35ghz.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to look into next.

Everything on this platform feels different from what I'm used to (that and it's been seven years since I last had to overclock and test my CPU!). Need to get a sense of what's safe, and what the various BIOS settings do.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
That’s XFR doing its thing with your voltage. Nothing you can really do other than to either disable XFR, overclock and lock the voltage or live with it doing its own thing.

Soldato
Yep!

Just switched them over, and booted straight into Windows at DOCP settings and now sitting at 3200MHz.

I am such a noob, and @kitfit1 is my new personal hero!

Thanks a million my man! :D

No problem :D
To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if a large percentage of ram problems on AM4 are caused by peeps not having the ram in the correct slots.

Soldato
That’s XFR doing its thing with your voltage. Nothing you can really do other than to either disable XFR, overclock and lock the voltage or live with it doing its own thing.

Yeah, I'm happy enough on the Windows Balanced settings with the voltages now.

In Cinebench I'm now seeing 3.866GHz all core boost @1.35v, and 4.116GHz single core boost @1.43-1.45v.

Temps are 77C on the all-core test and 63C on the single core.

I'm guessing I don't have much headroom in terms of temperatures on the all-core boost on the stock cooler (I'm probably going to go with the NH-D15 at some point soon), but I'm wondering if there's a way of mucking about in the settings that will let my single-core boost go a bit higher? Seems like it should have another couple of hundred MHz on it?

Oh, also, I noticed in the single-core test the core actually being loaded bounced around between three different cores. When Core 0 was loaded it was going to 4.116, but when it bounced to Core 2 or 3, it was only 4.041 or 4.066. I guess this is also normal behaviour we have to accept?

No problem :D
To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if a large percentage of ram problems on AM4 are caused by peeps not having the ram in the correct slots.

It is weird to have to put RAM in slots 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3! And that diagram in the manual could be a bit clearer too!

(I am covering my foolishness here as best I can :))

Thanks again for pointing this out. You have saved me so much headache over this. I was seriously all ready to ditch the whole platform in a fit of pique and sell it to buy an Intel board+CPU again!

Soldato
It is weird to have to put RAM in slots 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3! And that diagram in the manual could be a bit clearer too!

Lol, I had this exact thing with my build over the weekend. Got lucky and spotted it while reading the manual :) (And suddenly I wonder if I got it wrong on my old board and that's why it languished at 2933... guess I'll never know.)

My guess is that you put them in 2 and 4 because the majority of people will only use 2 sticks, and they'll be just a tiny bit further away from the hot parts of the board. But I wish they'd write the numbers from right to left to make it more obvious. It's this sort of thing that gets AMD a bad rep when people don't spot it and have an unstable system as a result :/

Also I notice that Ryzen 2 has tamed the XFR volts quite a lot. My 1600X would spike to 1.575 and it worried me every time :o

Soldato
Slightly misleading.
  • I wouldn't go much further than 1.4v on anything other than Samsung RAM. If using Hynix for example, be careful beyond 1.4v.
  • These volts do not take into account overshooting and LLC. Spikes can occur on load change.
  • You shouldn't need anywhere near 1.25v on SOC and this will degrade your chip quickly if you mess it it up. If you need beyond 1.15v, then something else is wrong IMO.

I agree. Those values do look high. It was just something I recorded during a video I watched by Gamers Nexus.

Soldato
Slightly misleading.

The values are defo too high. Most peeps running 2 sticks of ram will never need to go higher than 1.1v on SOC, if you do your ram clock will probably become unstable. SOC LLC really does not need setting higher than 3 either.
What ever ram voltage peeps choose to use, the single most important thing to do is to set VTT DDR voltage to exactly half your ram voltage.

Back
Top Bottom