• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Okay. First problem here. I flashed to 4011 BIOS, which seemed to go okay. Then I went back into the BIOS to set my RAM to run at its rated speed through its DOCP profile, and... it wouldn't even POST. Three or four failed POST attempts then it displayed a message that POST had failed, press F1 to enter setup.

I thought this Dark Pro 8 Pack RAM was guaranteed to run at its rated DOCP settings? What's going wrong here?

Ryzen 2600X on a Strix X470-F.
Not been following the thread but did you try DOCP with the original bios? What memory is it, Mhz wise? If too high it might not be supported yet by mobo so may have to manually set it lower.

Soldato
Not been following the thread but did you try DOCP with the original bios? What memory is it, Mhz wise? If too high it might not be supported yet by mobo so may have to manually set it lower.

No, I didn't. I knew I needed to update the BIOS to install the latest chipset drivers, so always had that in mind before tweaking.

The RAM is 8-Pack Team Group, 3200MHz, CL14.

I've tried a few manual tweaks. Trying 3200MHz, or 3000MHz @1.35v won't POST.

I just booted at 2800MHz @1.35v. Not touched any timings yet.

Bit miffed by this. Guess it's going to take some tweaking...

Soldato
No, I didn't. I knew I needed to update the BIOS to install the latest chipset drivers, so always had that in mind before tweaking.

The RAM is 8-Pack Team Group, 3200MHz, CL14.

I've tried a few manual tweaks. Trying 3200MHz, or 3000MHz @1.35v won't POST.

I just booted at 2800MHz @1.35v. Not touched any timings yet.

Bit miffed by this. Guess it's going to take some tweaking...
Surprised that doesn't just work tbh. I'm using the same memory in a Threadripper system and been stable since day 1(Nov 2017) using DOCP 3200, and that's with four sticks (32GB).

Soldato
Surprised that doesn't just work tbh. I'm using the same memory in a Threadripper system and been stable since day 1(Nov 2017) using DOCP 3200, and that's with four sticks (32GB).

Yeah, it's not looking good on the RAM front here. :(

Tried a few settings. 2933MHz will POST @1.35v, but I had a BSOD within 10 minutes of starting up.

Now on 2866MHz @1.35v. Will see how that goes. Not sure how to go about improving this, but it's a bit demoralising at the moment.

It works on X370 and Ryzen version 1, no cold boot problems runs fine @XMP 3200 using 2 Gigabyte K7 boards here with 1800X cpu

Here is what 8Pack says https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31805903/ also take a look at this vid

Interesting, cheers. I can't even get the 2933MHz he's talking about, though.

What's the max DRAM voltage for this RAM/board?

If I do turn out to have a ****** system in terms of RAM speeds, what's likely to be the culprit - CPU or board?

Permabanned
Some boards also have dram boot voltage which should be set to the same as whatever you put in for normal voltage I believe. The b-die 8 pack ram is fine up to 1.45V for daily use but you shouldn't need it that high at all. Should try about 1.385V and 1.03 SOC.

Often Ryzen is not plug and play and many people just cant run at DOCP settings, it is the biggest failing of the CPU/Boards. That said if you are willing to fiddle/use the ram timing calc program you can achieve some good results but it can be a pain tweaking for hours on end.

Soldato
Some boards also have dram boot voltage which should be set to the same as whatever you put in for normal voltage I believe. The b-die 8 pack ram is fine up to 1.45V for daily use but you shouldn't need it that high at all. Should try about 1.385V and 1.03 SOC.

Often Ryzen is not plug and play and many people just cant run at DOCP settings, it is the biggest failing of the CPU/Boards. That said if you are willing to fiddle/use the ram timing calc program you can achieve some good results but it can be a pain tweaking for hours on end.

Ok. Cheers for the info. I'll creep up the DRAM voltage. But is there any way of knowing whether it's DRAM or SoC voltage I'll need to increase in the case of future instability?

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Ok. Cheers for the info. I'll creep up the DRAM voltage. But is there any way of knowing whether it's DRAM or SoC voltage I'll need to increase in the case of future instability?

I have the same RAM as you mate and my kit needed 1.4v. I use the Stilt's 'safe' timings though, might be worth looking into.

Soldato
I have the same RAM as you mate and my kit needed 1.4v. I use the Stilt's 'safe' timings though, might be worth looking into.

Cheers, I'll Google that.

Though I've been having trouble even getting onto the Windows desktop without a BSOD or failed POST even at 2933 and 1.4v, so I'm starting to get a bit worried I might have bought a dud here.

At the moment 2886 is the best speed this new system will let me do anything with reliably.

That's a bit ****, let's be honest.

If anyone can help me through this ****-field I'll be forever grateful!

Soldato
Cheers, I'll Google that.

Though I've been having trouble even getting onto the Windows desktop without a BSOD or failed POST even at 2933 and 1.4v, so I'm starting to get a bit worried I might have bought a dud here.

At the moment 2886 is the best speed this new system will let me do anything with reliably.

That's a bit ****, let's be honest.

If anyone can help me through this ****-field I'll be forever grateful!
What motherboard do you have?
Because I literally have the EXACT same problem as you, in every single way you described.

Soldato
It could be ram compatibility, or you need to update the bios on your motherboard?

It could do the trick but i don't know what else to say.. or it could be the ram itself or many things.

I updated to the latest BIOS yesterday.

This is 8-Pack certified RAM, so I thought it was guaranteed to run at rated speeds. I guess there's no way to know what the limiting factor is out of RAM, board or CPU without spare parts to test...

Associate
I updated to the latest BIOS yesterday.

This is 8-Pack certified RAM, so I thought it was guaranteed to run at rated speeds. I guess there's no way to know what the limiting factor is out of RAM, board or CPU without spare parts to test...

Looks like to me that you should send the 8 pack ram back by the sounds of things.

Either way it is no coincidence that another person just like your self has the same problem, i wonder if he has the same ram as you?

Soldato
Looks like to me that you should send the 8 pack ram back by the sounds of things.

No it dosn't i'm afraid.
@strumpusplunket, looking at the pic of your build on the previous page you have your ram installed in the wrong slots. 2 sticks of ram should be installed in slots A2 and B2, you have installed them in A1 and B1.
Until you move them the ram will not work properly in a month of sundays. When you do move them i would re-flash the bios as well if i were you, because you may well have a corrupted bios from flashing with them in the wrong slots.

Soldato
No it dosn't i'm afraid.
@strumpusplunket, looking at the pic of your build on the previous page you have your ram installed in the wrong slots. 2 sticks of ram should be installed in slots A2 and B2, you have installed them in A1 and B1.
Until you move them the ram will not work properly in a month of sundays. When you do move them i would re-flash the bios as well if i were you, because you may well have a corrupted bios from flashing with them in the wrong slots.

Wot? D'oh!!!

I was sure I'd seen in the manual that it was telling me to put them in A1-B1 first, but now I look again, you're right. I was just not seeing the forced perspective in the diagram correctly!

Thanks for pointing that out. Gonna have a quick test now! Might as well re-flash BIOS too, just to be on the safe side.

Cheers, dude!

Back
Top Bottom