• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Returned to Ryzen (well in addition) with a 2700X based system for my wife and my "new" test bench:

TmNeKDKl.jpg

(Very much a work in progress)

Specs are:

Ryzen 7 1800X
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming K7
16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3000Mhz

I have a number of plans and tests lined up including:

- Memory scaling on both 1800X and 2700X (should be interesting to see some real world results)
- 1080Ti scaling on both vs a 8700K (stock & OC)
- General overclocking
- Stupid GPU benches like GTX690 SLI and older GPU's vs modern games.

Basically it is a system to have a good mess around with. :)

Not decided on the test bench to buy yet as they either seem very expensive for what they are or I can't find them available for sale in the UK (at least not after a quick Google). Any suggestions most welcome.

Very impressed so far I must say. I did have a Ryzen system early on (well a couple actually), but they had endless issues with it posting with any sort of memory OC (XMP) so it kind of soured the waters a little. Glad to say that this time around things seem a lot better. :)

Soldato
Been messing around with my old Define R3 case but hit a snag when I snapped my drill bit... :p

That was the plan though to use the MB tray and "back" of the case as the top of the test bench. I would they add some wood and maybe the drive cages to the underside to create a stand of sorts.

Atm the MB box is working well enough whilst I get everything set up.

Associate
Fellow Ryzen owner here. Went for the Ryzen 2600 and couldn't be happier!

OOa8A7jl.jpg

I leave it set to stock for easiness, however the Asus motherboard on occasion overclocks it to 4.2GHz automatically.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fellow Ryzen owner here. Went for the Ryzen 2600 and couldn't be happier!

OOa8A7jl.jpg

I leave it set to stock for easiness, however the Asus motherboard on occasion overclocks it to 4.2GHz automatically.

Congrats! Looks really nice.

That's how Ryzen 2 works at stock, the Precision Boost will clock the chip higher depending on cooling available.

Associate
Thanks, I still need to tidy up the braided cables at some point, it's just getting around to it.

So far I'm really impressed with Precision Boost. With hindsight I'm glad I went for the AMD route over Intel.

Soldato
Another Ryzen 2600 owner here. :)

Been a member here for a while but stopped building and upgrading PC's back around 2008 in favour of a console and laptop combo.

From using sub £400 laptops, the performance on tap here is something else!

Soldato
Quick update - with some new drill bits and a bit of head scratching I now have a "custom" test bench for my Ryzen system:

lILuwxUl.jpg

KlmaM5Ql.jpg

A5B5wbvl.jpg

Also does anyone else manage to make such a mess when trying to be organised?

77W6Ufhl.jpg

:D

Now to get testing & benching.

Soldato
OMG yes cable management.

How can a job specifically focused on organisation of cables lead to so much mess????

Been there done that with my little 250D (although the problem there was a complete lack of space rather than too much / too many cables).

Soldato
A bit of a bump to this thread but are any of you guys overclocking on a M-atx board?

I'm wanting to grab a 1700, and get it as close to 4ghz as I can? VRM quality is apparently a big factor, so looking for something capable. Processor itself will be cooled with a corsair h100i

Main recommendation I've had so far is the MSI B450M Mortar - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-b450m-mortar-socket-am4-ddr4-matx-motherboard-mb-348-ms.html - As you can see they're out of stock at present. I can shop elsewhere, but maybe there is a better alternative?

Soldato
A bit of a bump to this thread but are any of you guys overclocking on a M-atx board?

I'm wanting to grab a 1700, and get it as close to 4ghz as I can? VRM quality is apparently a big factor, so looking for something capable. Processor itself will be cooled with a corsair h100i

Main recommendation I've had so far is the MSI B450M Mortar - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-b450m-mortar-socket-am4-ddr4-matx-motherboard-mb-348-ms.html - As you can see they're out of stock at present. I can shop elsewhere, but maybe there is a better alternative?

It will mostly come down to the silicon lottery of the CPU it's self.

To hit 4GHz will be a golden / unicorn chip

To hit 3.9GHz will be a good / superb chip

To hit 3.8GHz will be an average chip

To hit 3.7GHz is a poor chip

You will probably end up somewhere on the 3.8GHz - 3.9GHz scale.

My 1700 did 3.8Ghz at 1.35v. It would not do 3.9GHz whatever volts I gave it.

A good mobo and cooling are important. But the CPU it's self is the most important factor.

Try and get hold of a 1700x or 1800x if you can (for not much more than a 1700) as they should be better binned.

Last edited:
Soldato
77W6Ufhl.jpg

:D

Now to get testing & benching.
Ah yes!! I have 3 or 4 of these tins and always wondered what the best use for them would be. Using them for different PC-related cables would be perfect and let me ditch my half-dozen motherboard boxes which have a random assortment of stuff distributed between them. Thanks for the idea. :D

Permabanned
Just built the boy a 2600 rig for christmas, what a great little chip. Hour of stress testing(realbench) maxed out at 59 degrees on air (25 quid cryorig cooler). Gaming performance pretty decent with a 1070Ti. Memory dialled in fairly tight 3200 so far. :) Not even going to bother clocking it.

Caporegime
Just built the boy a 2600 rig for christmas, what a great little chip. Hour of stress testing(realbench) maxed out at 59 degrees on air (25 quid cryorig cooler). Gaming performance pretty decent with a 1070Ti. Memory dialled in fairly tight 3200 so far. :) Not even going to bother clocking it.

what mobo and ram did you get?

Soldato
Have a 2700x arriving Monday and am a bit lost/worried over all the RAM chat in this thread!

Got:

TEAM GROUP NIGHT HAWK RGB 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT

And a

GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-GAMING 5 AMD X370 arriving with it.

Are there likely to be issues fresh out of the box and stock? Or is it more to do with overclocking?

Coming from a 2500k which was as simple as set it to 4.6ghz preset in bios, stress test and away you go :p

Associate
Have a 2700x arriving Monday and am a bit lost/worried over all the RAM chat in this thread!

Got:

TEAM GROUP NIGHT HAWK RGB 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT

And a

GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-GAMING 5 AMD X370 arriving with it.

Are there likely to be issues fresh out of the box and stock? Or is it more to do with overclocking?

Coming from a 2500k which was as simple as set it to 4.6ghz preset in bios, stress test and away you go :p

Easiest way to start is to use the Ram timings calculator. Input your ram / grab the xmp ratings and start with the SAFE preset. If you can get that 3000 at cl14 at least then you'll be doing good. Goal should be around 3200 cl14.

Back
Top Bottom