• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Still yet to build my machine due to no time! :(

But was wondering, I have a Corsair H115i cooling my current 2500k, is it worth me getting the AM4 bracket and using this for my 2700x?

Would mean delaying the built till after xmas, but would it give me that much more overclocking potential over the stock cooler?

Associate

But was wondering, I have a Corsair H115i cooling my current 2500k, is it worth me getting the AM4 bracket and using this for my 2700x?

Would mean delaying the built till after xmas, but would it give me that much more overclocking potential over the stock cooler?

I'd say yes. I'm using one on my 2700x and it allows my cpu to xfr to 4350mhz all cores. Plenty safe on the temps.

HRL

HRL

Soldato

Well it’s bound to be better than the stock cooler.

I dabbled with an all-core OC and got 4.25Ghz on a Noctua but ended up switching back to XFR2 instead as I got better results.

Think you’d probably get a higher OC but probably not as high as using XFR.

Soldato

Maybe it's different for liquid coolers but air cooler technology hasn't really moved on much in the last decade. I definitely plan on re-using my Noctua U12P with a future Ryzen setup, unless I actually end up keeping this machine for another purpose and need a cooler for it.

Associate
I'm hoping someone can help me with some suggested timings for a Ryzen 2700X. Got it in a Gigabyte Aourus Gaming 7, with some of the 8Pack memory I'd bought a while ago. I wanted to buy the best I could afford in hopeful anticipation of Ryzen 3, so I have 32 GB of the 4000MHz kit as 4x DIMMS.

I tried setting some better timings for the memory yesterday evening, managed about 10 minutes of gaming for the system locked up, so I went back to the default settings, with the exception of lowering the CPU VCore to 1.35v rather than auto.

Here's my Thaiphoon and Ryzen DRAM calculator results -

memory-timings-1.png

In an ideal world I'd like to get to 3600MHz with some tight timings - not sure if that's realistic or not. Any observations/suggestions? Just about to pop it to a starting point of 14-14-14-34 1.35v 3200 MHz and will go from there!

Ta :)

Soldato
I'm hoping someone can help me with some suggested timings for a Ryzen 2700X. Got it in a Gigabyte Aourus Gaming 7, with some of the 8Pack memory I'd bought a while ago. I wanted to buy the best I could afford in hopeful anticipation of Ryzen 3, so I have 32 GB of the 4000MHz kit as 4x DIMMS.

I tried setting some better timings for the memory yesterday evening, managed about 10 minutes of gaming for the system locked up, so I went back to the default settings, with the exception of lowering the CPU VCore to 1.35v rather than auto.

Here's my Thaiphoon and Ryzen DRAM calculator results -

memory-timings-1.png

In an ideal world I'd like to get to 3600MHz with some tight timings - not sure if that's realistic or not. Any observations/suggestions? Just about to pop it to a starting point of 14-14-14-34 1.35v 3200 MHz and will go from there!

Ta :)
The more dimms you have the further it restricts your IMC from achieving the higher clock speeds. Do you have the latest bios with 1.0.0.6 agesa?

I am very interested in your findings, because after many many many hours of tweaking my team group dark pro 3200 cl 14 i can not get it to run above 3066, although I can reduce the timings to 12.12.12 with 1.4v

Associate
Quick note re RAM issues: I'm using an Asus X470-F gaming, and I've had zero issues since recent BIOS updates.

Asus have been a bit busy lately on the update front, and the most recent feature AGESA updates as well. The last two versions have been rock solid at 3200 c14 for me- I had all kinds of hell before that!

Although maybe some of you aren't so lucky...

Soldato
Quick note re RAM issues: I'm using an Asus X470-F gaming, and I've had zero issues since recent BIOS updates.

Asus have been a bit busy lately on the update front, and the most recent feature AGESA updates as well. The last two versions have been rock solid at 3200 c14 for me- I had all kinds of hell before that!

Although maybe some of you aren't so lucky...
I truly think its just because of the x470 Aorus ultra gaming motherboard I have , it's just awful, others with higher quality ones seem to have no problem as the QVL includes more modules of ram, gigabytes is not so good

Soldato
The more dimms you have the further it restricts your IMC from achieving the higher clock speeds. Do you have the latest bios with 1.0.0.6 agesa?

I am very interested in your findings, because after many many many hours of tweaking my team group dark pro 3200 cl 14 i can not get it to run above 3066, although I can reduce the timings to 12.12.12 with 1.4v

My 1700 ran 2 x 8gb (8 pack 3200) at 3333c14 with 1.2 cpu voltage fine . To make 4 x 8gb stable I upped the cpu voltage to 1.25v, at 1.2v intensive apps crashed to desktop with 32gb. Ram at 1.4v in both cases.

Associate
You get an ALL core clock at 4350? Like when running cinebench? Thats an impressive chip. :)

I only ran a CB test to see what it would score, but not sure what it hits in that it was just mostly because someone asked my score. It holds all cores at 4350 in games where it counts :) Witcher 3, asscreed odyssey, escape from tarkov, ring of elysium and star citizen are the only ones I've tested but all of them it'll hold solid for hours. I'm verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyy happy with hit!

HGxOvF8.jpg

bgbb305.png

GSqFi8v.png

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I find CB a bit of a weird one. Got a 1931 multicore but when I look at HWInfo it only clocks about 4.1Ghz across all cores. CB seems to like faster RAM as much as CPU.

BFV has all cores between 4.3-4.4Ghz.

Associate
From what I understand PBO keeps normal clocking behaviour in place and clocks are dynamic based on load, so unless you do a hard overclock, locking multis and voltages etc, clocks will drop, certainly see that on my gen 1, I can get all core boost of 3.9 most of the time but a prime stress test or something properly hard on all threads it can drop to 3.8 which is its base, even seen the odd dip below base.

When I set 4.2 hard in the bios, then it never deviates.

Associate

I set it to 14-14-14-34 1.35v 3200 MHz and it seems fine for me - not left it overnight being stressed yet, but it managed half an hour of gaming, which is an improvment over last time.

As for the BIOS, not updated it yet - the version I've got for my Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 7 is F3, dated 14th March 2018.

Associate
I truly think its just because of the x470 Aorus ultra gaming motherboard I have , it's just awful, others with higher quality ones seem to have no problem as the QVL includes more modules of ram, gigabytes is not so good

I have a hunch that certain batches of Ryzen chips might be more flaky than others on the IMC front as well... Could just be an unfortunate combination.
Just a hunch, mind. I have nothing to back that up with!

That said, I haven't tried straight DOCP settings since these updates- I've kept it where it was, 1.365v mem voltage, and a +0.15v offset on the memory controller, the exact name of which I have temporarily forgotten...

Associate
Also found that 1.36-1.38v was the sweet zone for the RAM. Before the 'stable' BIOSes, I needed 1.37v, and a couple of notches down from 3200 to get stable. More voltage actually caused crashes itself. 1.385v wouldn't boot at all, but some here are chucking 1.4v in.
I'd say if it ain't working at 1.37ish, it ain't gonna work with more... Again, just personal experience though.

Back
Top Bottom