• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Associate
Ga B350 Gaming 3 bios F6
16gb corsairs lpx 3000mhz
runs 2933mhz using manuell timings 16.16.16.36
rebooted with xmp with 2666mhz but manual timings set, no issue.
OC the ryzen 1600 on the stock cooler to 3.8ghz at 1.32v
waterblock down the line will happen.
works really great as far couldnt be happier.

Associate
Ok, so I am thinking of buying a Ryzen bundle, but I keep on telling myself that I really don't need it as my current (7 year old) PC is still coping fine..

To start, I currently have an Asus X58 Sabertooth motherboard with an Intel X5650 running at 4.4Ghz and 6x2gb of DDR3 (1600Mhz).

GPU wise I have a GTX 980 Ti.

I know the shortfalls of having such an old base system, such as only pci-e 2.0 etc.

I was thinking of getting the Ryzen 5 1600, Msi B350 Tomahawk and 16gb Corsair lpx 3000Mhz memory.

However, I primeraly just game on the PC via Steamlink and as the link is limited to 1080p @60fps it's what I aim to achieve. I also do some downloading and a spot of handbreak encoding here and there, but less than more to be honest. I am also certain that the CPU causes no bottleneck for the 980 Ti..

So, would there be any benifit in taking the plunge and upgrading or am I ultimately just trying to scratch an itch?

Soldato
well this is a strange business, being stuck at 3.8 and the ram at 3200 i set the ram to 2400 and cpu to 4ghz and it booted fine then started increasing the ram speed and now it boots and runs cinebench at 4ghz and ram at 3200 when all previous attempts failed at the same settings

Soldato
Ok, so I am thinking of buying a Ryzen bundle, but I keep on telling myself that I really don't need it as my current (7 year old) PC is still coping fine.

If it's of any use, I felt similar, I also have a 980ti and had a 4930K with 4x8GB DDR3-1600 in an ASUS Rampage IV and it felt fine however I ended up upgrading due to issues with X79 and the mandatory Windows 10 anniversary update (which they claim to patch a week after Ryzen launched haha) plus the desire for new things.

Moving to a 1700X with 2x16GB DDR4-3200 (currently running at 2666) and a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 I have gained the following (milage may vary):

• Games feel smoother (I understand that this may well be placebo, even though most users report the same thing).
  • Two cores (four threads).
  • Extra IPC.
  • Better turbo boost technology.
  • More Cache.
  • USB 3.1 ports (regular and new shape)
  • U.2 connector for the latest 2.5" SSDs
  • M.2 slot for the latest laptop SSDs
  • Eight SATA3 ports, overkill I know but the old board only had two (plus two Marvel ones which were slower than the SATA2 ports :p).
  • Dual network cards.
  • Ability to upgrade to future CPUs.
  • I feel like a rebel again not a stormtrooper, lol.

Soldato
If it's of any use, I felt similar, I also have a 980ti and had a 4930K with 4x8GB DDR3-1600 in an ASUS Rampage IV and it felt fine however I ended up upgrading due to issues with X79 and the mandatory Windows 10 anniversary update (which they claim to patch a week after Ryzen launched haha) plus the desire for new things.

Moving to a 1700X with 2x16GB DDR4-3200 (currently running at 2666) and a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 I have gained the following (milage may vary):

• Games feel smoother (I understand that this may well be placebo, even though most users report the same thing).
  • Two cores (four threads).
  • Extra IPC.
  • Better turbo boost technology.
  • More Cache.
  • USB 3.1 ports (regular and new shape)
  • U.2 connector for the latest 2.5" SSDs
  • M.2 slot for the latest laptop SSDs
  • Eight SATA3 ports, overkill I know but the old board only had two (plus two Marvel ones which were slower than the SATA2 ports :p).
  • Dual network cards.
  • Ability to upgrade to future CPUs.
  • I feel like a rebel again not a stormtrooper, lol.

Things on your list that I find odd when people say this: More Cache, Extra IPC, Better turbo boost tech, two cores.

To me, unless those actually translate into something, it isn't even worth mentioning. You can have 1000000 GB of cache, but if performance doesn't increase it doesn't matter. Having more cores also doesn't necessarily mean anything unless that translates into better performance (in certain tasks). Extra IPC? If a lesser IPC CPU is performing better, then this means absolutely nothing.

The other things you mention are measurable and worthwhile. I'm not trying to be a nob (although I probably am), it is just it seems like trying to pull positives on things that actually aren't.

Soldato
well this is a strange business, being stuck at 3.8 and the ram at 3200 i set the ram to 2400 and cpu to 4ghz and it booted fine then started increasing the ram speed and now it boots and runs cinebench at 4ghz and ram at 3200 when all previous attempts failed at the same settings

I have experienced many anomalies with this platform. What works one day won't the other. I've had mine running IBT all night memtest all night and then have it code 8 crash using Google chrome.

Soldato
Things on your list that I find odd when people say this: More Cache, Extra IPC, Better turbo boost tech, two cores.
More cache increases CPU performance, as does IPC (means it can do more things per MHz), it's the reason a 2.4GHz Core2 was faster than a 3.6GHz Pentium 4D. Better turbo boost means the automatic overclocking of the CPU is higher, works better, is more advanced or multiple thereof. More cores means that more operations can be carried out at the same time, this is good for increasing performance with programs or groups of programs that can use multiple threads.

Soldato
More cache increases CPU performance, as does IPC (means it can do more things per MHz), it's the reason a 2.4GHz Core2 was faster than a 3.6GHz Pentium 4D. Better turbo boost means the automatic overclocking of the CPU is higher, works better, is more advanced or multiple thereof. More cores means that more operations can be carried out at the same time, this is good for increasing performance with programs or groups of programs that can use multiple threads.

But in itself means nothing. Just because one processor of a different type has 8MB and another type of processor has 16MB does not automatically make it a better or faster processor. If they added 64MB of cache to these and it performed 5% faster, it still doesn't make it better than an processor with 8MB cache. The performance is what matters, not whether it has a rear wing on the car that should 'in theory' make it stick to the road more for example.

Not trying to be a ****, just 'trying' to say that just having more of something doesn't matter. What matters is how it actually performs.

Last edited:
Soldato
It does when comparing two processors of similar speeds and IPC, that's why manufacturers have in the past released CPUs that were identical to lower models barring cache (and the extra performance from the cache).

But you were coming from an intel chip...

(This is gonna go nowhere for us, and I am just gonna stop talking now lol).

Back
Top Bottom