• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Guys, any reason why I'm seeing slower performance, FPS in Planet Coaster?

Ryzen 1700x, 16Gb of DDR4 @ 3200 14-14-14-34 with a Geforce 960GTX 4Gb (+120 core + 160 Memory OC) Fresh install of Windows 10 with all latest drivers.

PlanetCoaster_Ryzen39_zpsdoqbytey.png

My previous rig i5 2500k @ 4.1Ghz, 12Gb of DDR3 @ 1600 with the same Geforce 960GTX 4GB (+100 core + 100 Memory OC) Windows 10.

PC-2500k_zpsrrypmndf.png

In both screenshots I'm running the same park and on average I'm seeing around 8-10fps lower than the i5.

Seeing 8-11fps on the Ryzen
Seeing 16-25fps on the i5

Any ideas?

That certainly is odd. Have you noticed this in other games and programs? You should certainly be beating that 2500k in everything tbh.

Soldato

Ryzen 1700x, 16Gb of DDR4 @ 3200 14-14-14-34 with a Geforce 960GTX 4Gb (+120 core + 160 Memory OC) Fresh install of Windows 10 with all latest drivers.

My previous rig i5 2500k @ 4.1Ghz, 12Gb of DDR3 @ 1600 with the same Geforce 960GTX 4GB (+100 core + 100 Memory OC) Windows 10.

PC-2500k_zpsrrypmndf.png

In both screenshots I'm running the same park and on average I'm seeing around 8-10fps lower than the i5.

Any ideas?
Maybe the GPU is throttling as you have overclocked it more? Set it back to the same (+100 core + 100 Memory OC) and try it.

Soldato

PC-2500k_zpsrrypmndf.png

Any ideas?

PC set to high performance and on the latest bios release? im guessing most likely but thought i'd check... seems odd you are getting worse performance by quite a margin, especially given your i5 is maxed on the CPU on all cores but on the Zen its not nearly maxed across all cores, i dont know much about the game, im guessing its definitely cpu bound?

Soldato
Maybe the GPU is throttling as you have overclocked it more? Set it back to the same (+100 core + 100 Memory OC) and try it.

I've tried it with no OC and it's still the same. Also clocked it to exactly what I had previously but again same result.

Running latest BIOS and High Performance in Windows - really unsure.

Soldato
I found this https://forums.planetcoaster.com/sh...one-testing-planet-coaster-with-new-ryzen-cpu
and this

There are talks of an engine limitation. Can you try with SMT off?

Code:
Elbinea : 5,000 guests = 35fps All threads were averaging above 50% usage with the gpu sat around 65%
Pixel World 8000ish guests = 12fps All threads over 60% usage, gpu now at 35% usage. I think i might have hit an optimisation wall. A mix of Ryzen being a very new platform and Planet Coaster just being nearly impossible to run late game. Its obvious the gpu is waiting around for the cpu.
Benchmark 2 : 13,800 guests = 9fps Cpu wont go any further than 65% total usage (it is spread across all cores)

Overall i would say Ryzen is really good, its a frame behind my 4.7ghz 5960x and in planet coaster isnt far off my 4.2ghz 6950x. If you are still undecided as to whether you should buy one I would highly suggest you take the plunge, for £490 its an absolute steal.  Give the dev team some time and let the platform mature then we might one day see the 30fps 10,000 guest dream

All test were performed at 1080p Ultra preset on a Titan X Pascal

This was posted over at the Planet Coaster forums. It appears to be matching his 5960x so yes something is very wrong.

Last edited:
Soldato
So has anyone here actually done any valid stress testing on the memory side? I'm going to be pushing the boat next week, so wondering if anyone has posted any decent coverage in HCI at higher speeds.

Soldato
So has anyone here actually done any valid stress testing on the memory side? I'm going to be pushing the boat next week, so wondering if anyone has posted any decent coverage in HCI at higher speeds.

Hci?

As far as memory testing, have done overnight aida64 for 10 hours.

That's about it. This pc has been open and unusable for a lot of its time with me this far.

Had another two panics last night :
1) was trying to run firmware update on hdd, and primary ssd disappeared entirely, even from bios. Thankfully a power down sorted

2) new replacement hdd arrived last night and got it in. Going to sleep notice this regular squeak/chirp sound. Thought it was the new drive. This morning did some brief troubleshooting, starting with powering down pc. Chirping persisted. Turned out it was tower fan :D

Now I just need to put water block back on... Not looking forward to it - normally wouldn't care, but this just seems to be a cursed build :)

Soldato
Hci?

As far as memory testing, have done overnight aida64 for 10 hours.

That's about it. This pc has been open and unusable for a lot of its time with me this far.

Had another two panics last night :
1) was trying to run firmware update on hdd, and primary ssd disappeared entirely, even from bios. Thankfully a power down sorted

2) new replacement hdd arrived last night and got it in. Going to sleep notice this regular squeak/chirp sound. Thought it was the new drive. This morning did some brief troubleshooting, starting with powering down pc. Chirping persisted. Turned out it was tower fan :D

Now I just need to put water block back on... Not looking forward to it - normally wouldn't care, but this just seems to be a cursed build :)

The reason I ask, is I think HCI will be quite dream shattering for some.

Soldato
Installed the F5h BIOS on my Aorus Gaming 5, still can't hit 3200MHz lol, 2666MHz still working fine.

Hehe. Well I only found out what DOCP was yesterday and curiously went in to my Asus Prime bios to see if my 3200Mhz ram would work. :rolleyes:

PC beeped and rebooted about 4 times then came a message that 'you're overclock failed'. :o

I hope they will sort all these issues out eventually.

---

Also my SSD disappeared until I did a reset to defaults in the bios.

Soldato
Hehe. Well I only found out what DOCP was yesterday and curiously went in to my Asus Prime bios to see if my 3200Mhz ram would work. :rolleyes:

PC beeped and rebooted about 4 times then came a message that 'you're overclock failed'. :o

---

I had this on a tomahawk i ended up moving it into a different port in the end. Note to self i need to get this board on eBay or something.

Associate

---

I get the reboots as well at that speed, what have you got the RAM running at, at present ?

Associate
If your on the latest Bios, try my settings. Manually set the speed to 2933 and then go with 14-16-16-16-30 it is stable and works well for me. I can't do 3200 no matter what I try. Mind you if you have 32 GB 2400 to 2666 might be tops.

Another tip make sure you set the RAM to it's default voltage for 3200 manually i.e 1.35v if you run the settings above.

Back
Top Bottom