• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Soldato
No............................you are still thinking "Intel Tax". I don't actually think it will be £899.....................................but certainly not anywhere near to £1500.

Very true, everyone has got so used to the crazy high prices that £2000 seems realistic for a CPU and £1000 is no longer surprising for a GPU. Some clever people earning their money at the moment!

Associate
Lol its a 32 core 64 thread processor with near top end single core ipc and clock speeds sitting on a massive socket with multi channel ram support.

It will be expensive even if it came from Lidl :p
Ok it wont be anywhere near Intel$ robbing but i very much doubt it will be peanuts.

It may however be godly :D

Soldato
I'm going to guess / hope for the 16c at £750 24c £1k and 32c at £1250

Regardless it looks like I'll be sticking with my 1950x for the forsealable future unless we get an X399 refresh board which supports RDIMM - I'd move straight to that and would be happier to have a single system rather than having to have a separate server, before TR came along I had quite a few systems around my desk, would rather not go back to a multi system setup at home, though I quite fancy building an Epyc based server.... :D

Soldato
I'm going to guess / hope for the 16c at £750 24c £1k and 32c at £1250

1950X is <£600 now, so not a lot of guessing involved, hah. :D

With the massive price drops on the CPU's, and the current NAND flash pricing falling faster that a pro's knickers, I'll be building the next systems I need for a good % less than the last lot, just a shame about DDR4 pricing still.

Associate
I doubt the current 16core price will stay for the 2xxx series TRs - imho it will rise to a grand again for the 16 core, maybe £1299 or £1399 for the 24 and £1899 or £1999 for the 32.
A 2700 is what??? about 300 notes?
2x that for the 16 core, with a bit on top for the additional costs of producing the bigger chip, its "glue" and all that.. say 15% your already past £700
A 24 core would be past £1000 easily and 4x the 2700 for the biggest TR would be a minumum of £1200 quid just on the cores without the added cost of the rest of the setup.
Not only that but margins are higher on these top end products, AMD will want to get more than they get out of a 2700 or 2600 percentage wise i would have thought.

A 32 core TR at 2K is still ridiculously good value and intel will be nowhere near competing with that price/performance.

Soldato
I doubt the current 16core price will stay for the 2xxx series TRs - imho it will rise to a grand again for the 16 core, maybe £1299 or £1399 for the 24 and £1899 or £1999 for the 32.
A 2700 is what??? about 300 notes?
2x that for the 16 core, with a bit on top for the additional costs of producing the bigger chip, its "glue" and all that.. say 15% your already past £700
A 24 core would be past £1000 easily and 4x the 2700 for the biggest TR would be a minumum of £1200 quid just on the cores without the added cost of the rest of the setup.
Not only that but margins are higher on these top end products, AMD will want to get more than they get out of a 2700 or 2600 percentage wise i would have thought.

A 32 core TR at 2K is still ridiculously good value and intel will be nowhere near competing with that price/performance.
Might want to have a look at this
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...ores-is-listed-in-webshop-for-1509-euros.html

Associate
Yeah i saw that, i will be amazed if its released at that price.
But then i was amazed that AMD are releasing a 32 core monster in the first place as i would have thought they would have left that for next year.

They really really must want to hit iNtel hard, if this is AMDs attack this year then intel are in for utter decimation next year when the 7nm third gen chips are punted out.

Soldato
But then i was amazed that AMD are releasing a 32 core monster in the first place as i would have thought they would have left that for next year.

They really really must want to hit iNtel hard, if this is AMDs attack this year then intel are in for utter decimation next year when the 7nm third gen chips are punted out.
It’s about time, Intel have held back progress for so long it’s great to see AMD kicking arse and really taking it to intel.

Soldato

Yes imagine 16 core mainstream and 32 core HEDT. Both on 7nm all "glued" together and being relatively cheap to produce in quantity with a decent profit margin, whilst substantially undercutting Intel.

Intel will be back but in the meantime I see big profits for AMD. Competition is a wonderful thing :)

Associate
If TR next year does see a boost to 48 cores, running at say a base of 4.5 and boost of 5 then... well i just cannot see how anything intel currently or going to have in 2019 is going to even come close to competing with that.
I mean, they are almost totally screwed outside of some fringe cases with the new TR coming this year. Only crap software not yet updated for Ryzen will save them.

And games, cant forget games... 99.9% of all PC use is apparently gaming if you listen to what rubbish is spouted on forums like this around the web. Intel wins by miles in all gaming... apparently.

Soldato
If TR next year does see a boost to 48 cores, running at say a base of 4.5 and boost of 5 then... well i just cannot see how anything intel currently or going to have in 2019 is going to even come close to competing with that.
I mean, they are almost totally screwed outside of some fringe cases with the new TR coming this year. Only crap software not yet updated for Ryzen will save them.

And games, cant forget games... 99.9% of all PC use is apparently gaming if you listen to what rubbish is spouted on forums like this around the web. Intel wins by miles in all gaming... apparently.
was just reading something by De8eur or similar name. They started by talking about needing GPU power to now work with 4K but the article is about his disagreement with developing excessive core count chips and should concentrate more of lower core count cpu's and making them better. I'm not a complete expert but I thought the higher the res, the less important the CPU is anyway, especially using just 1 card as Sli is not so well implemented these days, so, if you have the need for 32 core, it's hardly going to be a handicap @ 4K. Maybe he' predicting the next round of GPU's to require more CPU grunt even at 4K.
Only skimmed the article but that was the gist I got.
I've done a few tests myself and even at 1440P using a TXP and a 1070 Ti, comparing a stock 1950X to an overclocked 6700K there was hardly anything in it - a few FPS in both cases. When I switched the 1950X to gaming mode the 1070 Ti result was exactly the same as in higher clocked 6700K system. Unfortunately I never got to try the TXP with the 1950X in game mode but I expect it would have been the same
So, all this speculation on pricing, lets say the 32c lands at £1500 - who's upgrading ?
Want. Don't need. Want :)
I doubt I'll be buying as 16 is enough for my needs. I'm hardly pushing 16 cores now although that's more to do with lack of time.

Soldato
So, all this speculation on pricing, lets say the 32c lands at £1500 - who's upgrading ?
I want to see what impact the memory access restrictions for certain cores has on various workloads before deciding
If the impact on latency is low then I will probably have a go for that price, also want to know what a decent board will cost as if they are more expensive than the last round I might go for the 24 core instead to make up the difference

Permabanned
Lol... awesome troll.

Wait a sec.... don't be so mean!
Technically, they have a point and vision and are NOT trolling. From their point of view, Xeon is an ancient, toxic technology.
While Ryzen with its Infinity Fibric / chiplets / MCM design is much leaner and cleaner technology - like natural gas is to coal.

https://www.techpowerup.com/245521/on-the-coming-chiplet-revolution-and-amds-mcm-promise
On The Coming Chiplet Revolution and AMD's MCM Promise

Let's see when pure quantum technology will appear.

Back
Top Bottom