• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Soldato
Nice one, cheers. Time to design a whole new PC.
I think there some impact to max memory speed depending on the number or modules you have as well which is worth bearing in mind as more strain on IMC

E.G if you want 32GB you'd be better off with 4 x 8GB single ranked for max speed.

I can run 4 x 8GB at 3333 - but can only get to 3000 using same memory but with 8 modules.

Shouldn't really be an issue if you only want 32GB - as long as you don't go for 8 x 4GB modules, but will largely depend on how much memory you need. If you want 128GB I think you be lucky to hit 2800 if using 8 x 16GB dual ranked modules for example

Soldato
Anyone had issues with invoking Ryzen Master with Virtualisation turned on? I'm sure It's been fine in the past but now when I try to invoke it a message stating Virtualisation Based Security (VBS) needs to be disabled appears and RM is not invoked.
I've tried search for this on the web which came up with a way to do it but when I checked, VBS wasn't even activated. I tried activating it and setting it to disabled and still had the same warning. I've checked in the Bios for anything related to virtualisatio and security and found nothing.

Soldato
What's these like to game on then, would it be a waste of money to have as a pure gaming machine instead of a ryzen or 8700k? Is the clock speed letting it down?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
I've had no problems gaming on mine. I wouldn't say the clock speed is letting it down at all - I see XFR boosts to 4.2ghz all the time when gaming.

Soldato
What's these like to game on then, would it be a waste of money to have as a pure gaming machine instead of a ryzen or 8700k? Is the clock speed letting it down?
I've run a few tests and there was only a few FPS in it at 1440P when testing a Titan X Pascal and a 1070 Ti. it wasn't a wide spread of games or benchmarks, so tiny sample, but I'd be surprised if anyone noticed a difference unless they're watching a FPS counter all the time.
Note that the tests were a 6700K @ 4.5 vs a 1950X at stock clocks. In the case of the 1070 TI, running FarCry 5 it was 73FPS vs 75FPS but actually when I switched the CPU to game mode the FPS was exactly the same! I never tried game mode when testing the TXP but it was again only a few FPS difference anyway.

I'd be temped to get a 2700X or 2800X (when it's released) for gaming only though, unless you just want a 16 core monster for the hell of it

Kei

Kei

Soldato
No issues gaming on mine either, but it is undeniably a waste if you only intend to use it for gaming as it'll barely get utilised. The only benefits you get out of it would be from the platform, like the extra pcie lanes, quad channel ram and nvme raid.

Associate
For those considering upgrading, will you be keeping your existing motherboard or buying a new one?

Me personally....I'll be keeping my current board.

Back
Top Bottom