• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Soldato
I have C16 RAM which I run at C14 with tight timings, lots of optimization required and on Ryzen/TR memory performance is important. you can gain a decent uplift in gaming frame rate from memory tweaks vs default out of the box performance.

So I would try to get lower latency as you can afford but all make sure the RAM is on motherboard QVL as Ryzen is a fussy bugger.

An old article here but still relevant

https://community.amd.com/community...emory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-timings

Thanks. Really useful article. Looks worth a bit of tinkering.

At OCUK the cheapest C16 seems to be £149.99 and the 8 pack C14 as mentioned above is £199.99, for 16GB, so £100 difference if going with 32GB which is a decent amount more I suppose.....but..... :)
I went with the Prime board £289.99. I didn't apply the same logic when buying that as I knew I wouldn't be bothered with overclocking and therefore couldn't justify £519.99 for the top end Asus board. Been very happy with the Prime. Stable, memory all worked fine from day one.
I do like Asus boards :), so choice was one or the other only.

Yes I don't think I'll run a 24/7 overclock as the AMD automatic boost seems pretty good. I'll probably do a bit more playing around with the memory. Just need to decide which motherboard, after a solid stable board with quality components and plenty of potential for future upgrades including a 16C 7nm TR eventually.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Thanks. Really useful article. Looks worth a bit of tinkering.

Yes I don't think I'll run a 24/7 overclock as the AMD automatic boost seems pretty good. I'll probably do a bit more playing around with the memory. Just need to decide which motherboard, after a solid stable board with quality components and plenty of potential for future upgrades including a 16C 7nm TR eventually.

With PBO, there is almost zero point in manually overclocking the 2xxx series Threadrippers.

Here's my comparison between my old 1950x and my 2950x with PBO enabled.

DHIL0zi.png

Soldato
Looks good. I imagine I'll manage without PBO on my 1900X until 7nm TR lands. I can only see software getting better multithreaded support as time goes by. I should be good on the CPU for some years to come, just need to sell a few body parts then to buy a faster GPU!

Associate
PBO is A 2xxx feature so you won't get similar boosts on 1900x but it ticks along at 3.9Ghz all core which is pkenty quick, it will do up to 4.2Ghz on light loads.

Soldato
PBO is A 2xxx feature so you won't get similar boosts on 1900x but it ticks along at 3.9Ghz all core which is pkenty quick, it will do up to 4.2Ghz on light loads.

Yes I think that will keep me going for a while. Just waiting for more motherboards to drop. I'm sure they aren't far off as so many places are out of stock of the first wave of X399 boards.

Soldato
Intel Surrenders to Threadripper With New Skylake-X Refresh

It looks like you Threadripper guys choose the right CPU ;)

Not yet. 2920x hasn't come out yet :p
With PBO, there is almost zero point in manually overclocking the 2xxx series Threadrippers.

Here's my comparison between my old 1950x and my 2950x with PBO enabled.

DHIL0zi.png

Which board you are using?

Ignore me. Somehow I couldn't see your signature.
X399 Aorus Gaming 7

Last edited:
Soldato
Btw I saw this PBO overclock on a 2990WX tonight, using the MSI MEG. Completely speechless.
We need 4K monitor to have a full view of all it's glory (almost 4.3 on almost all cores but a handful!!!!).

f5f6vGa.jpg

I want one :eek:

Soldato
Posted this in the *** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) *** thread, but probally just as relevant here. Apologies if you don't like double/duplicate posts.
TechPowerUp | Posted: 8 October 2018 said:
AMD Introduces Dynamic Local Mode for Threadripper: up to 47% Performance Gain

AMD has made a blog post describing an upcoming feature for their Threadripper processors called "Dynamic Local Mode", which should help a lot with gaming performance on AMD's latest flagship CPUs.

cHGypVN.jpg 1MTJYwR.jpg

Threadripper uses four dies in a multi-chip package, of which only two have a direct access path to the memory modules. The other two dies have to rely on Infinity Fabric for all their memory accesses, which comes with a significant latency hit. Many compute-heavy applications can run their workloads in the CPU cache, or require only very little memory access; these are not affected. Other applications, especially games, spread their workload over multiple cores, some of which end up with higher memory latency than expected, which results in a suboptimal performance.

The concept of multiple processors having different memory access paths is called NUMA (Non-uniform memory access). While technically it is possible for software to detect the NUMA configuration and attach each thread to the ideal processor core, most applications are not NUMA aware and the adoption rate is very slow, probably due to the low number of systems using such a concept.

yhto5FP.jpg rPjntrW.jpg

In ThreadRipper, using Ryzen Master, users are free to switch between "Local Memory Access" mode or "Distributed Memory Access" mode, with the latter being the default for ThreadRipper, resulting in highest compute application performance. Local Mode on the other hand is better suited to games, but switching between the modes requires a reboot, which is very inconvenient for users.

AMD's new "Dynamic Local Mode" seeks to abolish that requirement by introducing a background process that continually monitors all running applications for their CPU usage and pushes the more busy ones onto the cores that have direct memory access, by adjusting their process affinity mask, which selects which processors the application is allowed to be scheduled on. Applications that require very little CPU are in turn pushed onto the cores with no memory access, because they are not so important for fast execution.

K2pIrhP.jpg

This update will be available starting October 29 in Ryzen Master, and will be automatically enabled unless the user manually chooses to disable it. AMD also plans to open the feature up to even more users by including Dynamic Local Mode as a default package in the AMD Chipset Drivers.
Source: AMD Blog Post / TechPowerup

Soldato
Posted this in the *** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) *** thread, but probally just as relevant here. Apologies if you don't like double/duplicate posts.
Source: AMD Blog Post / TechPowerup

So as I wrote to the other thread. AMD had enough waiting Microsoft to fix the Scheduler, and did it themselves. Kudos.

What intrigues me, would this work if we only have dual channel RAM on the threadripper system?
That way and given the cost of RAM, it would greatly expand the market of people wanting to buy TR4 CPUs but RAM is the most prohibited cost.

Makes me really want a 2920X on 29th October!
Yeah. If it is around £600 as expected, getting one myself. Otherwise the 2950X @ £800 (OCUK) is great value for money.

(funny you can buy an Intel 8 core for £600 or an AMD 16 core for just £800 muahah)

Soldato
Very nice, can I ask what your plans are for such a beast.
Typical day Multitasking Workload At the same time:
Gaming - Visual Studio Compile - Chrome/Youtube/Spotify - Discord - Msi Afterburner - Visual code - vmware

think of it as Gaming/streaming workloads but with much higher memory usage.

usage + % percentage of time open
Gaming 60%
VS code 40%
VS Studio 40%
Chrome 100%
Discord/MSi Afterburner 60%

currently working on image recognition software i created in python that will use every core it can see.
its going through 3000 images cutting them into 32000 Then going through them for patterns.
my 1800X hit 100% usage :D

it will either assign a reference image per core/thread or Do alternate image recognition (simlair to AFR on nividia SLI) but in this case Alternative Image recognition)
so
core 1 compares img1 vs all reference images (currently 10 but will be hundreds)
core 2 = 2
core 3 = 3
so on...

Back
Top Bottom