• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official Sapphire Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Extreme 5850 Extreme Owners Thread**

What kind of power supply do you have? If the PSU isn't powerful enough you could run into issues while overclocking GPUs or CPUs; the 5850 needs at least a 500W decent PSU to function properly.

I've got a Corsair 450W, which according to everywhere I've looked at is more than adequate. Corsair state this as suitable for the whole 5800 series. There's no issue there, it's just that going on the reviews these cards aren't great overclockers. Let's hope for a working Trixx... :rolleyes:

Just burning mine in at 775/1150 atm seems solid so far - I gave furmark a run at 800 but noticed some artifacts flash up on screen :S For the games I play though this will be more than fine :)

Mine arrived today. Installed, took a few moments for anything to appear on screen, I thought 'uh oh..' but then it posted. Installed cat 11.4 drivers.
No issues so far.:)

Hey Merlin5 I'll bear that in mind when I install mine. When you say a few moments, how long would you say that was?

I've got a Corsair 450W, which according to everywhere I've looked at is more than adequate. Corsair state this as suitable for the whole 5800 series. There's no issue there, it's just that going on the reviews these cards aren't great overclockers. Let's hope for a working Trixx... :rolleyes:

Most say they aren't so great overclockers, but I got mine easily to 825/1225 stable so far; I was probably very lucky. All in all, apart from being lucky/unlucky, I strongly believe that decent PSUs are very important for overclocking (stable voltages) and also good ventilated cases --and let's hope for a working version of Trixx, at last!

Your Corsair 450W is easily powerful enough power a HD 5850 even with the card overclocked!

I was using a Corsair HX650 PSU when the most I could push the 5850 was 770mhz stable during gaming but then starting experiencing problems with the card going green screen on me when watching movies at stock core/mem which never happened on previous cards.

I do think there are quaility control issues with this card based on the amount of problems people have been reporting.

Most say they aren't so great overclockers, but I got mine easily to 825/1225 stable so far; I was probably very lucky. All in all, apart from being lucky/unlucky, I strongly believe that decent PSUs are very important for overclocking (stable voltages) and also good ventilated cases --and let's hope for a working version of Trixx, at last!

Even 825/1225 could be considered a "poor" overclock when compared to the original HD5850. As long as the original had voltage tweak well over 950Mhz was attainable quite easily.

In its own right though a 100MHz boost on the core is pretty good.

What temps are everyone getting with these on load in Furmark?

Mine hit 72 after 15 minutes full on, is this about right or too hot?

(This was at 775/1150)

What temps are everyone getting with these on load in Furmark?

Mine hit 72 after 15 minutes full on, is this about right or too hot?

(This was at 775/1150)

When I left the fan speed at auto I got around 70C (@825/1225) and after setting a custom or fixed speed at 55% I got around 65C..when I used the OCCT GPU stress test the temps rose up to 3-5 degrees higher. The room temperature was around 22C and I got a well ventilated case (Antec 900).

Even 825/1225 could be considered a "poor" overclock when compared to the original HD5850. As long as the original had voltage tweak well over 950Mhz was attainable quite easily.

In its own right though a 100MHz boost on the core is pretty good.

Ofcourse it is somewhat "poor" OC compared to the original 5850 and this is only because of the voltage tweak as you say..let's hope they're going to fix Trixx soon.

Hey guys, I am still dithering looking at my new card. One thing I note is that my PSU is not on the list of AMD/ATI certified PSU's, but it is a Zalman 1000W HP and no slouch. Does this mean that it won't run the card? After all I can run the existing card which is an ATI.

Your PSU will be fine. Just 'cos it's not on the certified list doesn't mean it won't work, far from it.

I've got a Sapphire 5850 and so tempted to have 2 cards & crossfire, but thinking of holding back until later in the year to see what prices are like for some of the faster cards as I plan to upgrade just prior to BF3 in November.

4.01 downloaded 20 minutes ago :p Hooray!!

850Mhz stable at 1.15v so far... Unfortunately it's made no difference to my Crysis fps - time to install the Megahalems and push the CPU a bit more!!

Back
Top Bottom