******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Grabbed a Tali (again...) and a couple of modules. Sill not sure about the ship though, always seems so cramped. The troop carry module could be interesting, double the capacity of the Redeemer...
I still think I might end up with just a small Hull series and an Aquila at PU start.

I have completely shut off from SC for months, probably been about 9 months (used to watch and read everything they released) and just seen the new module presentations.

I am very impressed. If you take them for what they are, being barebones building grounds for MMO "areas" then they look very impressive. Social aspects are what really build the experience for these kinds of games and that is completely devoid in these videos so I can see why people are commenting that they are a bit bland. I mean, if someone today showed a video of someone walking around a WoW area, it would look terrible.

I did get a little disappointed in the dev direction that SC was taking, hence why I stopped following it, but now I have a lot of hope that this can be a lot of fun.

Amped for doing some PAGAN group stuff when it finally gets released. Probably wont play Beta, will wait for 1.0.

Pood we do occassionally have other group stuff in GTA V etc.. something I'm hoping to get started again once I've got my PC built back up (currently in process of building it into my desk). :)

Its the scale and atmosphere which does it for me, and all blended together seamlessly without loading screens etc.
From the tiny details of the space station, opening the windows and seeing a living structure of that size and detail with the jaw-dropping backdrop of space, bursting with points of interest, 'life' if you like. Then you're seamlessly outside, climbing into the seat of a ship, turning thrusters on, and you're free like a bird.

I can already jump into free-fly mode and go to dying star, land on a platform and just look out into the stars and imagine it being scaled like a grain of sand on a desert, but in a few years time we could be right there, and see life flying past, completely unaware of our presence, just going about its business. Seeing that presentation just brings those emotions flooding out. I can feel myself being in that situation, looking around and soaking it all in. Spending years in there. This was exactly what i wanted to see. I wanted to see the make up of what a PU would be like, not just large ship combat, i wanted to feel like i was in a universe full of interesting locations, to be in awe of where we are.

I dont think anyone who's backed SC for any amount of money, who's not hellbent on putting it down regardless, would have been extremely happy with what they saw in that presentation.

FPS/Star Marine, not so much, but i have faith.

I'm in for a Constellation.....but I've not even loaded up AC. Good to see some decent progress, and considering it's in dev, a few animation glitches aside it looked pretty slick.

I am skeptical about this game, but I would be a moron if I couldn't appreciate the ambition and magnificence of what they showed in that multicrew demo. It is mindblowing stuff, definition of pushing the envelope. I hope the final game will realize this potential, I really do. But even if it fails, I am still glad someone is even attempting things like this.

I thought there was going to be a worm hole effect with the fast drive?

Maybe for the jump drive. They only demonstrated the quantum drive, which is below the speed of light for small distances, IE 3,000 km. The jump drive is supposed to create or use wormholes to shorten extreme distances.

From what I recall, the worm hole was to travel between systems and the quantum drive was the drive for crossing a system, different effects but both look cool.

I can see this slowly coming together now. I'm really impressed with the tech demonstrations so far and really looking forward to the seamless transitions if they get it right.

Maybe for the jump drive. They only demonstrated the quantum drive, which is below the speed of light for small distances, IE 3,000 km. The jump drive is supposed to create or use wormholes to shorten extreme distances.

I believe (according to reddit) the 3,000 Km in the demo was a bug and should have read 3 Million Km, which would make sense as the gas giant is supposed to be larger then Jupiter and wouldn't noticeably change by moving 3K Km away as in the demo. Also those moons would be tiny.

I believe (according to reddit) the 3,000 Km in the demo was a bug and should have read 3 Million Km, which would make sense as the gas giant is supposed to be larger then Jupiter and wouldn't noticeably change by moving 3K Km away as in the demo. Also those moons would be tiny.

'according to reddit' is half the problem :D

I know one person who kicked up a fuss about this ended up posting a retraction. But in all of that there were people claiming the M was miles, therefore perfectly normal... except its easily debunked when the quantum drive then says is 3000km when it previously showed 3,000,000m, which would be correct for meters and not miles.

Maybe it was a mistake, i mean there were glaring typos in the slides, these things happen and somehow dont get picked up in the rush to present. To folks like myself 3,000KM seems believable, maybe it means a huge sun would be half the size of earth if it was true, but im sure as it clearly already has, if there was a fundamental flaw it'll get brought up with a load of fuss (and usually outrage of monumental proportion) and acknowledged a day or 2 later and fixed.

I am skeptical about this game, but I would be a moron if I couldn't appreciate the ambition and magnificence of what they showed in that multicrew demo. It is mindblowing stuff, definition of pushing the envelope. I hope the final game will realize this potential, I really do. But even if it fails, I am still glad someone is even attempting things like this.

You know, i wish more people had the same attitude and recognition towards SC.

That was one of the main reasons i pledged to begin with. Im fed up of the gaming industry giants looking for maximum audience, playing it safe and repeating the same stuff. They were happy for things to shuffle along, building games upon the limitations of 4yr old systems and consoles, not 'pushing the envelope' as you say. I wasnt remotely interested in space before i discovered SC, in fact i've always had a pre-disposed disliking of almost everything with few exceptions (Star Wars & Red Dwarf) and yet i could see beyond that and connect with what was trying to be achieved here. Now i cant wait, and im watching stuff to fill the gap SC will hopefully fill.

The problem with stuff like this is that too often it fails to meet expectations, its too ambitious and things catch up with it eventually, and that burns the people who try to encourage change like this because people use it to make an example. At the moment im feeling really optimistic about everything, like we've backed a winner. Whether SC is a game for people or not, it'll hopefully open minds a little.

just having a look at the page and lol at the £10k + packages :/

guessing this is going to be very heavily pay to win?

I think perhaps it was an error in judgement on the pricing, but being a kickstarter, once its up, its generally set in stone and that was the end of that discussion.

Regardless, the big fat 'packages' are for collectors, groups of people (Big ships, multi-crewing etc) and a few silly people (id imagine).

But the point wasn't the content, it was funding the game, what happens with the pay-store is up to them, i think once they start nailing down the Player Universe, they'll know how far they can take it.

Insurance will be purchased only with in game currency. Its going to be a minor cost compared to other day to day stuff like fuel etc.

ahhhh ok i miss read that then :p

it does look very very interesting, so im going to be as pessimistic as possible so that i can only be pleasantly surprised :p

Back
Top Bottom