******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
@varkanoid someone somewhere is looking at your RTX 2080 thinking... nice card, YOU *******!!!!!!!

I wasn't having a go or anything just stating a fact. There will be a lot of disposable income burning holes in peoples pockets who originally were going on holiday. That refund or holiday money is now in their bank accounts and if they are okay for money and dont use it to rebook, they cant go on holiday now so one of the things they can do is buy a Star Citizen ship. Plus all the money saved on travel costs to and from work, lunches etc if you are not suffering financially wise from the virus there will be people out there with money to spend. Not knocking it just stating its possible.

Soldato
I don't have a problem with people spending money a game, it just makes me sad that such a potentially interesting game is spoiled by the core gameplay being real-money driven. It's a shame they didn't restrict the real-money purchases to cosmetic only items.

Have all the ships solely available available for in-game credit purchasing, but have cosmetic workshop companies that will pimp them up with real-money transactions.

Caporegime
I wasn't having a go or anything just stating a fact. There will be a lot of disposable income burning holes in peoples pockets who originally were going on holiday. That refund or holiday money is now in their bank accounts and if they are okay for money and dont use it to rebook, they cant go on holiday now so one of the things they can do is buy a Star Citizen ship. Plus all the money saved on travel costs to and from work, lunches etc if you are not suffering financially wise from the virus there will be people out there with money to spend. Not knocking it just stating its possible.

Like problem gamblers, yes i get it :)

I don't have a problem with people spending money a game, it just makes me sad that such a potentially interesting game is spoiled by the core gameplay being real-money driven. It's a shame they didn't restrict the real-money purchases to cosmetic only items.

Have all the ships solely available available for in-game credit purchasing, but have cosmetic workshop companies that will pimp them up with real-money transactions.

It costs 100's of $m to build a AAA game from the ground up. RSI don't have the luxury of a large publisher loaning them that money to recoup after the game if finished and on sale. they have to get that money from us before the game is done.

That's the deal, we buy their ships and Jepg's, that money is used to make the game, we get to play the unfinished game as it develops, which creates a whole mass of problems in its self, every 3 months when they release a patch they have to spend time and money on optimization and bug fixing to make sure it is at least somewhat playable, which is why quite often it barely is. Its not like they can just make the game and worry about all that when bug fixing and optimization is the last thing left to do, they have to do that constantly...

Soldato

It costs 100's of $m to build a AAA game from the ground up. RSI don't have the luxury of a large publisher loaning them that money to recoup after the game if finished and on sale. they have to get that money from us before the game is done.

That's the deal, we buy their ships and Jepg's, that money is used to make the game, we get to play the unfinished game as it develops, which creates a whole mass of problems in its self, every 3 months when they release a patch they have to spend time and money on optimization and bug fixing to make sure it is at least somewhat playable, which is why quite often it barely is. Its not like they can just make the game and worry about all that when bug fixing and optimization is the last thing left to do, they have to do that constantly...

:confused:thought they had also had income from venture capitalists.

Soldato

I know what it takes to make AAA games, it's what I do for a living :p

I don't buy the idea that people wouldn't pay just as much money for badass bodywork kits and paintjobs, or at least limit the ship access to the pre-release phase (which is likely to be years still). Pay to fly the big ships during test, get a badass cosmetic for it when you work your way up to it once the game launches. Satisfies the e-peen waving, provides the funding, but doesn't distort the gameplay experience with real-money.

Soldato
Recently some yes, but they are a small fraction of the total money needed.
$46m small fraction :confused: and that was a year and half ago, god knows how much since.

Perhaps they would have been better with a publisher. Someone to force them to stick to the roadmap and stop the endless feature creep.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I know what it takes to make AAA games, it's what I do for a living :p

I don't buy the idea that people wouldn't pay just as much money for badass bodywork kits and paintjobs, or at least limit the ship access to the pre-release phase (which is likely to be years still). Pay to fly the big ships during test, get a badass cosmetic for it when you work your way up to it once the game launches. Satisfies the e-peen waving, provides the funding, but doesn't distort the gameplay experience with real-money.

That 325A you see a few posts up is not stock, i spent about $40 pimping it with a new paint job, some interior cosmetics, better components and bigger guns........ yes it satisfies my E-Peen needs. Its just different, nicer and better than the stock one.

I think a few days on events to allow those who spend thousands on capital ship's to fly them in the PU, maybe the Invictus event could be made up of ships actually owned by players, would be a good idea.

The 300 series is the test bed for ship modification. it will eventually become available to all ships first on the RSI site like the 300 series currently is and eventually in game with in game earned credits, you can already buy ship components in game with in game earned credits.

Soldato
i have the same feeling about people who spend thousands, if not tens and hundreds of thousands on personalised licence plates for their cars. seriously do not get it at all.
The Doors said it best.

Caporegime
What ship is that? 350? Or 800?

I'm eyeing the 350. Its very nice luxury single seater!

325A, they are all the same aside from different roles.

300I: Base model.
315P: Exploration model, has a system jump drive.
325A: Fighter, has heavier armour, a Size 4 chin mount instead of a Size 3 on all others, has extra under belly missile rack mounts which are currently broken.
350R: the racer, its very fast.

Soldato
325A, they are all the same aside from different roles.

300I: Base model.
315P: Exploration model, has a system jump drive.
325A: Fighter, has heavier armour, a Size 4 chin mount instead of a Size 3 on all others, has extra under belly missile rack mounts, currently broken.
350R: the racer, its very fast.
Does it have cargo space for deliveries?

Soldato
OP
$46m small fraction :confused: and that was a year and half ago, god knows how much since.

Perhaps they would have been better with a publisher. Someone to force them to stick to the roadmap and stop the endless feature creep.

Future creep is these days mostly on the community, you see dozens of requests a day for new things to be added, changes to be made. Yes the devs are in charge of WHAT goes in but those with the money have effectively replaced a publisher in terms of scope... Still buck stops with Chris Roberts, it's his baby. Let's hope it's not a full grown teenager before someone tries to birth it!

Back
Top Bottom