******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
I worded my post a bit badly. No there hasn't been 300 people on it for nearly 10 years, but there has been at least a significant amount. From the above article.

"So, in 2013, Roberts had two studios, multiple contractors, and three third-party studios working on an already ambitious game that was only growing more complex, and he did not have the staff and expertise to develop it. By August, though, after the release of the Hangar module, there was enough cash in the pot that Roberts could start a new studio somewhere where there were more plentiful, cheaper staff. He settled on Wilmslow, just outside of Manchester"

So when you posted this

Umm no. They diddnt have 300 people from day 1 working on this game...

infact it was only 2 or 3 years ago they had no more than 100 people working on it...

It's clearly wrong and they have had over 100 people working on it for over 7 years.

Soldato
the once ambitious nature of the game is diluted by the inevitable progress of technology and what can be achieved in terms of gaming?

There's plenty of stuff you can do even on today's hardware (star citizen is one of them if they would actually have the game completed), but how many developers are actually working on something like this? From a gameplay perspective and game world responding to your actions, the progress has been incredibly weak. TW3, GTA5, RDR2 just to name a few, have still quite stupid NPCs and AI reactions with teleporting AIs all around you and poorly crafted mechanics to keep the player under control. "Next gen" so far looks the same. Sony is talking about SSD and Microsoft about backwards compatibility, HDR and GPU TF. All games shown so far seem to be on the same mechanics as we have now. So yeah, much wow, much 4k and nothing else. :)

So there's an economy where NPCs work but some roam around with different traits, sounds real groundbreaking.

Procedural generated missions............. will another settlement need our help? :p

Why bother to make something good when people will buy your stuff anyway? :D

Soldato
I worded my post a bit badly. No there hasn't been 300 people on it for nearly 10 years, but there has been at least a significant amount. From the above article.

"So, in 2013, Roberts had two studios, multiple contractors, and three third-party studios working on an already ambitious game that was only growing more complex, and he did not have the staff and expertise to develop it. By August, though, after the release of the Hangar module, there was enough cash in the pot that Roberts could start a new studio somewhere where there were more plentiful, cheaper staff. He settled on Wilmslow, just outside of Manchester"

So when you posted this

It's clearly wrong and they have had over 100 people working on it for over 7 years.
Yea my point is that they never started with even 50 people.

YOu assumed that on the 10 years since tthey started, they had over 300 people working on the game when you compared to GTA5 who had similar numbers and took 5 years you said?

They had the team already AND the tech in place.

AND gta is like a tiny spec in game size and depth then this game plus the fact that rockstar have been in the business for nearly 30+ years vs CIG who only less then 10 years ago.

You forget how this game changed game engines a few years ago and things needed to be ported and tweaked in the current engine.

They also had to create all the tools from scratch. tools like building persistant planets and stations, weather tech,that dynamic universe tool used to inject dymanic economy to the game etc etc.

These tools did not exist mate .

Rockstar had the tools already and the manpower and experience to deliver a tiny spec of what SC is doing in 5 years.

RD2 took 8 years and same as cyberpunk.

May i add that those games are `SinglePlayer` games too!

Another game that took nerly 10 years to make was lats of us part 2 ....

Soldato

YOu assumed that on the 10 years since tthey started, they had over 300 people working on the game when you compared to GTA5 who had similar numbers and took 5 years you said?

AND gta is like a tiny spec in game size and depth then this game plus the fact that rockstar have been in the business for nearly 30+ years vs CIG who only less then 10 years ago.

You forget how this game changed game engines a few years ago and things needed to be ported and tweaked in the current engine.

They also had to create all the tools from scratch. tools like building persistant planets and stations, weather tech,that dynamic universe tool used to inject dymanic economy to the game etc etc.

Rockstar had the tools already and the manpower and experience to deliver a tiny spec of what SC is doing in 5 years.

I didn't assume they had 300 from the start I even said I worded that incorrectly. The point still being they have had significant of staff for a number of years yet are still nowhere nearing the end of completion.
Lots of buzz words that don't really mean anything, it's been there decision to develop things how they did, clearly it's not been time efficient.
Yes those games are single player, but if only Star Citizen also had a single player portion of the game that's also not been released in that time frame.... :p
By the way Last of Us 2 was in development for 6 years but for 3 of those years the team was also making another game.

Soldato
I didn't assume they had 300 from the start I even said I worded that incorrectly. The point still being they have had significant of staff for a number of years yet are still nowhere nearing the end of completion.
Lots of buzz words that don't really mean anything, it's been there decision to develop things how they did, clearly it's not been time efficient.
Yes those games are single player, but if only Star Citizen also had a single player portion of the game that's also not been released in that time frame.... :p
By the way Last of Us 2 was in development for 6 years but for 3 of those years the team was also making another game.
And u do know CIG is aslo working on two games and not just from the 3 years. for the majority if not all of the "10 years" they have been working on both games with to this day around 500 people. so 250 per game(gestimate)

SO really and trully SC has had 500 people working on.Because they also work on SQ42. AND cig also stated about a year or so ago that they mian focus is on SQ42 to try and get that out as soon as possible. So by there account, maybe only 100 people working on SC for the last year o two

Soldato

I get it you still have faith, you've been a backer for what just under 4 years right? I remember when I was 4 years in I still had hope. Coming up to 7 years now, trust me the faith will wane.

Back
Top Bottom