******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
You say that while at the same time whining about the amount of money its bringing in, the player count also continues to balloon.

Plenty of people are enjoying what this is, it is not going away, CIG are still expanding, development of the game will go on, every 3 months more and more is added to it, every year is a record year for them as more and more people join this.

What is this irrational reaction to this game, i don't get it, do you want it to be out tomorrow? Or do you want it to be dead tomorrow? Neither of those are going to happen, i am frustrated by how long its taking, i've had it since early 2014, now i play it more than i ever did, i play it far more than anything else so you telling me its all just flashy videos just doesn't wash.
I think some people just want the game to fail for whatever reason really.

Its as if Chris Robert had personally offended and abused them. Its weird really. i dont understand why anyone would wish upon a game company to fail

Soldato
In the week since 3.15 launch i'm already half way to being able to afford a Cutlass Black, a £120 ship, if it was a scam that just wouldn't happen.
Exactly. Well said.

I just feel some people here just want CIG to fail and will not listen to the people who actually play and have knowledge of the game and its development.

This is like the 3rd time today so far that you me and another poster here have continued to say that about buying ships in game.

That speaks volumes that some people here dont care about what we say and the actual info we provide. They dont wanna hear it.

They dont wanna hear the fact that they have made 400m

They dont wanna hear that they are opening a new office and opening up 700 new jobs in the uk manchester area.

They dont wanna hear that the game only costs $45 to jump on it or the fact that its actually free to try it now for a week or two.

They are simply here posting on this thread to scream SCAM SCAM and that is all...

Caporegime
I think some people just want the game to fail for whatever reason really.

Its as if Chris Robert had personally offended and abused them. Its weird really. i dont understand why anyone would wish upon a game company to fail

A lot of those Elite Dangerous players thought it was an impossible mess of a tech demo, because that's what they had been told, until a few of them decided to find out for themselves and realised its not, its actually a game, and incomplete game with bugs but a damned good game no less, that realisation started the mass exiguous of ED.

I think some people fear it rather than hate it.

Soldato
yes of course some of that is from people buying ships.

Thats there choice.

What is your point you are trying to make?

It's this you even replied to it lol
They need to do free fly events to try and catch those new whales that are willing to drop thousands on it. I can see people paying £30 to take a punt on it and see what happens but their money is coming from the people who are buying each of those £100 ships when they are released
They make more money on the whales that are buying all the ships than the people who just pay the £30. That's their current way they make money from players.

Caporegime
There is s limit to how useful lager ships are to individuals, the lager multicrew ships are completely useless to yollowers, the pilot has no access to guns, so they are sitting ducks, you need a crew to operate turrets, man engendering stations, missile operator ecte...

Even then a large ship like a Carrack can be taken out by a retentively inexpensive Gladiator with its Torpedoes.

So these large expensive ships are a pooled resource, they just don't work as a yollow ship.

Soldato
There is s limit to how useful lager ships are to individuals, the lager multicrew ships are completely useless to yollowers, the pilot has no access to guns, so they are sitting ducks, you need a crew to operate turrets, man engendering stations, missile operator ecte...

Even then a large ship like a Carrack can be taken out by a retentively inexpensive Gladiator with its Torpedoes.

So these large expensive ships are a pooled resource, they just don't work as a yollow ship.
The Citizen Kate (and Will) video you posted actually explains this really well.

She clearly said that while its nice that you dont have to grind for a Hammerhead if you bought it from the pledge store, it stlll does not make you high and might above everyone else as you still need to find 6 other people to crew it and if your up against 6 other light fighters with one or two of them with torpedo's vs you and 6 of your buddies in a Hammerhead, well good luck LOL.

Basically when engaging in pvp you would be hard pressed to know if they had spent £1000 on the game or just had the base game package....

Its all skill based which i like

Caporegime
Even some of the most ardent SC players, well known Streamers get frustrated with it and the problems it has, yes it has problems, but they keep coming back....

This is the thing about open development, this is not a game that's being quietly developed in secrete and its out when its all done and polished, this is a game being developed on the fly in the public eye, they are committing to adding significant content every 3 months and while they try to polish it as much as they can even they are very open about just how bad it can get being in a raw unpolished state, some updates are better than others but there is never a time when its faultless, but is constantly moving forward.

There is a freefly on going right now, this patch, 3.15.1 is particularly buggy, this patch was about adding a lot of Gen12 backend support and inventory persistence, all server stuff and its made the servers unstable which translates in to game in all sorts of strange and frustrating ways.

It is what it is, there is no other way, this open development is necessary as they don't have deep pocket publishers backing them before they can make a penny with sales.

There really is nothing else like it, no EA like publisher would back something like this.

Last edited:
Associate
"I can't go back to ED now, ED feels like a toy version of Star Citizen"

-Katie Burns.

LOL - I see the old arguments are still going strong, can I be different and say I like them both? they are completely different styles of space games just like a painting by one artist or an album by on artist or band is different from another.

The main issue with Star Citizen a year or so ago (when I last played) was that even though there were things to do, there was still only a single star system and a small number of planets. There was also no sense of investment into my time playing or that I could give myself an aim or objective for playing. As since the game is alpha I only knew too well that my progress could be wiped at anytime when a new alpha version was released. That will always be the case I believe until the game is released properly and your character and game-state becomes more persistent. I'm not knocking those that are playing and enjoying the game now but it's kind of like sneaking a look at your christmas presents on christmas eve and then ruining the surprise on christmas morning?

Caporegime
In the week since 3.15 launch i'm already half way to being able to afford a Cutlass Black, a £120 ship, if it was a scam that just wouldn't happen.
is this game never going to have wipes? also it's only £120 because they say it is.

doesn't mean it's worth 120

Caporegime
LOL - I see the old arguments are still going strong, can I be different and say I like them both? they are completely different styles of space games just like a painting by one artist or an album by on artist or band is different from another.

The main issue with Star Citizen a year or so ago (when I last played) was that even though there were things to do, there was still only a single star system and a small number of planets. There was also no sense of investment into my time playing or that I could give myself an aim or objective for playing. As since the game is alpha I only knew too well that my progress could be wiped at anytime when a new alpha version was released. That will always be the case I believe until the game is released properly and your character and game-state becomes more persistent. I'm not knocking those that are playing and enjoying the game now but it's kind of like sneaking a look at your christmas presents on christmas eve and then ruining the surprise on christmas morning?

I have Elite Dangerous Horizons and Odyssey, i don't dislike it but SC is it X10 so i'm just not giving up my free time to play it when i could use it to play SC, SC is just a much better game, so i have no time for a poorer version of it. this is also what Katie is saying, and it is just an opinion, you should not have a problem with an opinion, if you do its your problem not ours.
She is not saying it is a bad game, its just that there is a much better equivalent.

Anyway, your progress was wiped with the last patch, it was necessary for an upgrade to the persistence system, that was after 18 months of continuous persistence. Personally i was quite glad of it, i had in game money growing out my ears, every ship i wanted and a mountain of weapons and armour cluttering up my inventory.

Soldato
Tried some bounty hunting with friends in some rented ships. Enemies not spawning for 10+ minutes, constant issues using quantum drives, constant server desyncs. Yeah, this patch is in a sorry state right now.
Got a friend who is still 100% unable to see any negatives in the game and goes on a rant whilst ignoring any counter points if you mention an issue. Atleast the big SC fans here are able to say it's not flawless! lol

Soldato
I think they're stretching the ability of the single server system at the moment with the new content as the servers continue to struggle to manage all the work required to emulate the universe. I believe that we will see parts of hte meshing system come online before the grand pyro reveal to demonstrate how they work and if they reduce the load, e.g. moving various services on to their own server. Pyro is clearly the release of hte full static mesh but I can't see them improving much of the issues server side before then, i.e. my low frame rate is due to server load rather than my pc, AI is server load, object streaming is server load etc.

Static meshing is the make or break really as that will show their systems can scale or not. Only then will we see many of the issues we see on the servers with high uptime disppear.

Soldato
at 30K+ I don't think they would need to as they may get any new ship included in that price.... That is a very large sum of cash and I wouldn't do that personally but you contribute to the development with what ever a person feels comfortable with, knowing that fun can be had with the basic starter package. A lot of the larger ships belong to the larger orgs that pool their cash and therefore also have the player power to operate them.

Soldato
Exactly. Well said.

I just feel some people here just want CIG to fail and will not listen to the people who actually play and have knowledge of the game and its development.

This is like the 3rd time today so far that you me and another poster here have continued to say that about buying ships in game.

That speaks volumes that some people here dont care about what we say and the actual info we provide. They dont wanna hear it.

They dont wanna hear the fact that they have made 400m

They dont wanna hear that they are opening a new office and opening up 700 new jobs in the uk manchester area.

They dont wanna hear that the game only costs $45 to jump on it or the fact that its actually free to try it now for a week or two.

They are simply here posting on this thread to scream SCAM SCAM and that is all...

All I care about is Squadron 42. How many years have the missed the beta date? 4?
Looks like it won't be out next year :(

Back
Top Bottom