******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
Indeed almost all comparisons to any of game development is worthless in reality as there are so many things you can utilise to argue for or against.

- number of person hours compared to big companies like Ubisoft, Rockstar, CD Project etc have all been lower as a total sum, but way higher than many established studios but then ratifying that against the game produced makes it hard to really compare anything. Kinda can be done against stuff like RDR2 or GTA V or Cyberpunk but that really feels about it.
- Finances, well that hard. Figures people look at for 'development' when it comes to stuff like the above games does not include the running cost of the day to day office, rent etc. They are completely separate finances, yet when people use a headline figure for CIG they take everything included. That isn't how costs reported work. Cost reported are salary figures and marketing generally as a total for most studios. The overheads of office and similar would need to approximately double their reported figures. That isn't to say CIG and the game hasn't cost a huge amount etc. But the perception gets skewed so badly in most conversations.
- There are still two games in tandem being created, although they share code, assets and such there is an additional overhead to that compared to creating one game. The split financially and resources has to be considered. It would be like building The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and The Elder Scrolls Online at the same time. That is a big undertaking.
- It is hard to compare in fairness the differences because it is such a mix of so many things in one, that unfortunately is why it is a complete mess and why games generally focus in one or two directions, not encompass 10+ different game mechanics.

At the end of the day some people enjoy it and some don't. It is a hot buggy mess at times and works great other times. I would say that I personally find SC more enjoyable than most other games when it works but I do find need friends to play SC with and not something I can really play solo. However the new elements with regards to persistence, cargo refactor, salvage and navmesh side of things look like there will a solid amount of new content coming this way in the next 12 months where I could play solo with some interesting elements and not need the multiplayer crutch.
Its quite solable now tbh.

Its actually best to do the majority of missions solo as you get better pay out.

Lots to do solo-wise tbh but definetly comes alive when you play with friends.

Some cool videos below of recent news

Soldato
Its quite solable now tbh.

Its actually best to do the majority of missions solo as you get better pay out.

Lots to do solo-wise tbh but definetly comes alive when you play with friends.

Some cool videos below of recent news

Each to own but I really don't find the stuff currently solo fun at all still. As a group even 3 people though, that is where it comes together at min.

Soldato
I count 14 - 16 DLCs, and significant engine improvements during development. Game was announced in 2011 and released in 2013.

I just realllllllllly don’t see how the development of SC can be compared to that of ARMA4. Clearly a company producing that much content for ARMA3 in the last 10 years has not been working on ARMA4 fully.

Some of the stuff counted as DLC is part of what should have been in the game to start with (more ore less "minor" stuff), others are community based DLCs. Contact is probably the bigger stand alone, other just refreshments like the flight model for the helicopters - when the flight model in SC affects ALL ships, not just one category. Nevermind how vehicles behave, net code, performance, UI, AI, etc... Oh, yeah, and Laws of War. So basically 2.

Performance is still bad after all these years and although they've added some graphical improvements here and there, basic stuff, like shadows are still.... laughable. Only the Sun and Moon, I think, can cast shadows and the light goes right trough walls, fences and everything, making night missions... funny :)). You have a vehicle outside of a house, with the headlights on and the light from that goes through the walls from one side to another of the house.

and Arma3 can handle more than 50 players per server.

The frame rate is soooo bad that unless you cherry pick every aspect of the mission is not worth it. Even SP missions are a pain to have (at least) a constant 60FPS.

Soldato
OP
Well you can count the querter patches that CIG releases a DLC's too tbh hehe.

Each patch usually includes new locations/missions/ships/tweaks etc or a combination of some of those.

I wasnt bashing Arma by the way. Its up there along with this game as one of my fav games in the last decade.

DLCs only come out on a finished product :p

With the exception of ARK mind you..

Associate
I installed this last night and fired it up.

It runs like a pile of junk on my 12700k & 3070FE, 32gb mem

Was barely getting 30fps in the starting area, walked around a bit, didn't know what to do, performance was abysmal so quit the game.

Caporegime

Was barely getting 30fps in the starting area, walked around a bit, didn't know what to do, performance was abysmal so quit the game.
Your starting area being Orison? That's the floating city one, did you get a dropdown box with choices of where to start in the main menu? Too late now but it would have been better to chose Area 18.

The performance is down to the Volumetric Clouds on Crusader, the planet Orison is in, its the same sort of thing as the clouds in MS Flight-sim, only on a vastly larger scale, literally a planetary scale, it does hammer GPU's, they are working on it, volumetric clouds is one of the few things yet to be converted to Vulkan and once it is it should be better.

Once you get away from Crusader performance is actually pretty decent, for the most part.

Associate
You would think that for new players, they will normally start on the first available area, so I chose Orison, why make the first area in the drop down like this? The game runs REALLY badly here and it put me off even bothering.

Can I not change my starting area?

Caporegime
You would think that for new players, they will normally start on the first available area, so I chose Orison, why make the first area in the drop down like this? The game runs REALLY badly here and it put me off even bothering.

Yeah i agree, it doesn't help the "Star Citizen bad performance" argument but honestly once you get off that planet the performance is much better, you should be getting 50 to 100+ FPS depending on where you are

If you go in to graphics options you can set Volumetric Cloud levels, look for Volumetric Clouds in the graphics options, you can set Medium, High, Very High and off, i turn it off because the clouds don't look good on a lower setting and my GPU can drop as low as 15 FPS with them on a high setting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can I not change my starting area?

You can once in game, if you go to a different planet or a space station look for a hospital, once you found one look for a registration console, use that to set a new location, it will be where you currently are, so if you die that will be where you re-spawn.

Once in game you will log in wherever you landed your ship last and logged out.

Associate
I turned that cloud stuff off, not a lot better to be fair, still in the 30 and 40fps in this area. I am struggling to even find where I need to go to even find my ship if I even have one. I went on a transport ship to another part of the map but meh I dunno, they not made it very easy to know where the hell u gotta go. May try some more tonight if I can be bothered

Soldato
I turned that cloud stuff off, not a lot better to be fair, still in the 30 and 40fps in this area. I am struggling to even find where I need to go to even find my ship if I even have one. I went on a transport ship to another part of the map but meh I dunno, they not made it very easy to know where the hell u gotta go. May try some more tonight if I can be bothered
If you use discord, hop on with some of us here and we'll show you the ropes

Soldato
Can't even get into the game on the new build right now. Fails to connect to game services when I go into the character creation. Seen comments along the lines of "yeah the servers are busy due to the free fly" etc.... But c'mon, it's the same thing every free fly - scale up the servers so they can deal with the load if you are hyping up the game for the free fly. It's extremely frustrating and makes it really hard to defend the goods aspects of the game when there are so many obstacles stopping you get to the fun parts of the game.

Soldato
Orision isn't that easy to navigate first time, however, there are signs and basic maps by all the shuttle platforms. Each platform says where the shuttle is going to and each line runs on a loop.
If you want your ship, then take a shuttle to August Dunlow spaceport and then find an elevator. The ship retrieval terminals will be on the level you get off the elevator.
Now retrieve your ship and get an elevator to the hangar it says your ship is in.

It's more or less the same as visiting a new city in real life. You find and follow the signs until you know where you're going.

If you haven't watched any new player tutorials, you should. The game really isn't into holding your hand, as you've noticed.
Do you want to finally get to your ship and then get annoyed because you don't know how to fly it or even get the hangar doors open etc?

If you fancy some company and a few pointers, then feel free to ask. People are more than happy to help out new players.

Associate

This looks to be a good guide to get started with chapter selection for things like some graphics settings, the interaction system, flying, missions etc.

Caporegime
Orision isn't that easy to navigate first time, however, there are signs and basic maps by all the shuttle platforms. Each platform says where the shuttle is going to and each line runs on a loop.
If you want your ship, then take a shuttle to August Dunlow spaceport and then find an elevator. The ship retrieval terminals will be on the level you get off the elevator.
Now retrieve your ship and get an elevator to the hangar it says your ship is in.

It's more or less the same as visiting a new city in real life. You find and follow the signs until you know where you're going.

If you haven't watched any new player tutorials, you should. The game really isn't into holding your hand, as you've noticed.
Do you want to finally get to your ship and then get annoyed because you don't know how to fly it or even get the hangar doors open etc?

If you fancy some company and a few pointers, then feel free to ask. People are more than happy to help out new players.

Exactly this, if you can get your head around treating it as if you're in a real city you'll start to figure it out.

Soldato

That's due to it being a poorly optimised tech. demo rather than an actual game.

Back
Top Bottom