******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
bloody bargain when you consider the potential scope of the game!

Potentially the craziest bargain ever providing everything develops as planned.

3020 left now. You might only have another half an hour. :)

When I think how much I wasted in the cinema to see the Hobbit day before yesterday, it makes this look like a joke.

Edit: 2660 now. They will be gone very soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Also can anyone recommend a good controller setup for this, looking to invest in one but don't want to spend too much!

At the moment I'd save your money and stick with either:
- mouse and keyboard
- cheap controller (ie x360 controller)
- cheap stick, ie thrustmaster t16000m or logitech extreme 3d pro.

You can experiment with stick + mouse, stick and keyboard, or dual sticks if you want to buy two, without breaking the bank.

Seeing as a branded SC custom hotas will be available maybe this time next year, it's best not to splash out on an expensive flight system right now unless you know exactly what you want.

Edit: Oh and 1830 $20 auroras left! Nearly gone.

Last edited:
Soldato
At the moment I'd save your money and stick with either:
- mouse and keyboard
- cheap controller (ie x360 controller)
- cheap stick, ie thrustmaster t16000m or logitech extreme 3d pro.

You can experiment with stick + mouse, stick and keyboard, or dual sticks if you want to buy two, without breaking the bank.

Seeing as a branded SC custom hotas will be available maybe this time next year, it's best not to splash out on an expensive flight system right now unless you know exactly what you want.

Edit: Oh and 1830 $20 auroras left! Nearly gone.

Thanks for the info again

Does it feel ok on mouse and kb?

Soldato
Thanks for the info again

Does it feel ok on mouse and kb?
Yes.

You don't have as much movement control as you would with a controller or sticks, but it works ok and also no need to swap controls when the inevitable first person mechanics are ready.

Dual sticks will give you the best control for flight. Left hand stick and right hand mouse gives you excellent control for flight and aiming of gimballed weapons.

Personally I don't understand the attraction of HOTAS. Dual sticks are bang on perfect for 6dof flight - left hand stick for translational movement, right hand for rotational (you could mix and match the axes), I'm surprised it's not standard.

I really hope they make a branded dual stick setup, although doubt it will happen as they'll play it safe and make a left hand throttle instead...

Last edited:
Associate
a dual stick controller, wouldnt that essentially be pretty much the same as buying 2 regulars? i guess most arent ambidextrous, and most HOTAS can be argued as being the same as buying any HOTAS too, but i think it'd be a tough call personally.
You make a controller, most likely a £200 range one at that, then make it so its suited to an less common flight style, and very specific to 1 game and you're making a very niche product. Conversely, make something fairly unoriginal but familiar to what people are used to in the past, and more multi-purpose too, might be better... might also throw them in with all the other HOTAS's with only branding as the USP.

There definitely need to be options though, for SC or others, but its hard to pin hopes on a niche version of a fairly expensive already niche product. Theres a chunk of pro's and con's for all their options though. Would be nice if there was a product which treated the HOTAS as separate parts though, a left stick, right stick, and a throttle. Buy the 2 parts to suit your style.
It really cant be hard to have 2 stick moulds, the X55 and iirc Warthog have removable sticks. To offer a left handed mould... is that too much? i suspect the reality is theres too much logistical complication for it, and not enough demand to justify the extra effort, unfortunately, and that probably says a chunk about a dual stick offering too.

I highly doubt i'd buy one unless it was really something special, ive got an X55 doing nothing cos i wanted it for SC and nothing else, so im not snubbing it cos its not what i want, just wonder if theres sufficient demand. The other issue is voters will vote for what they like, not whats best for the community.
If you did a ship poll every month, offering to make a new ship for either combat, exploration or trade/industry, it'd come up trumps for explorers more often than not. A game with 40 exploration ships, 10 combat and 5 trade isnt int the best interest of the game, but people typically vote for what they approve of. i'd bet only a tenth of the people who'd vote on a SC poll would buy the controller they'd vote for if they won. Just because theres no HOSAS (HOJAJ?) on the market, people will likely pick what they think is the best option, not the most needed.

There was actually an absolutely epic looking dual stick concept i saw a while back from a trade show, on youtube, think it was for mechwarrior maybe, it looked immense though, huge and likely pricey too, but dont think it was anything more than a mockup looking for backing.

edit - found it easily enough
24524_04_hawken_to_receive_mek_fu_controller_requires_three_hands_and_a_university_degree_to_use.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can always buy two T16000ms, they're left or right handed by changing the moldings on them, they come with left handed versions. Quite a few people, myself included have tried dual stick, for most it just doesn't work as well as alternatives though. I much prefer the CH Pro throttle in my left hand with the analog stick used for vertical and analog thrusters.

Problem with two sticks is that it can't match many of the throttles for utility (like the CH pro throttle) so you either have to use them with voice attack, or compromise slightly.

Soldato
Can always buy two T16000ms, they're left or right handed by changing the moldings on them, they come with left handed versions. Quite a few people, myself included have tried dual stick, for most it just doesn't work as well as alternatives though. I much prefer the CH Pro throttle in my left hand with the analog stick used for vertical and analog thrusters.

Problem with two sticks is that it can't match many of the throttles for utility (like the CH pro throttle) so you either have to use them with voice attack, or compromise slightly.

That's the fault of lack of variety in ambidextrous sticks.

Imagine if you took the t16000m, put a proper 2 axes thumbstick on each stick to control character freelook and gimballed weapons. Then add a bunch of different buttons for all the fingers to use in suitable places... Picture the razer hydra stuck in a base with 3 axes each and a bunch of buttons I suppose.

That would he a killer dual stick setup. Unfortunately the t16000m just doesn't have enough/good buttons, so naturally the high end hotas are more useable.

If one company seizes the chance to put a high quality dual stick setup on the market now, I am certain that it will sell, given that there will likely be more games in the coming years that play off the success of this 6dof space flight. Maybe it's too early - maybe in a couple of years some company will have the balls to make a high end dual stick setup.

I honestly love the t16000m in the left hand for translational movement - it's so natural and easy to use. I would prefer a slightly looser stick in the right hand as it is a bit stiff for rotational movement in space - but understandable given it's designed for atmospheric flight.

I think that all the current offerings are not ideal, but it is completely understandable given that they have all been made for atmospheric flight sims - in a couple of years once SC is a success, then hopefully there might be some more dedicated spaceflight control options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom