******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
OP
It's more pay-to-own or pay-to-have than win but I understand why people would assume those throwing money at their screen will have an advantage because frankly on day one they will, they'll have the ships.

They'll also have the storage, running costs and crew costs though right from the off. No point trying to fly a behemoth on your own, it's not Eve Online, you need a crew and those need to be paid for! That guy starting out in the little trader will have very low running costs in comparison and even short term the "time rich/cash poor" will run ahead as always.

It comes down to faith in the developer to keep the game balanced, there's going to be a monthly cap on how much "in-game" money can be purchased and they have said that once the game is out, there's no more buying pledge ships like we have been doing so - no reason they oculdn't back out of that later though. Everything is subject to change.

If in doubt wait, you don't really miss out on much now anyway by not backing as they've stopped doing stretch goals, probably ran out of ideas for them :( but heck you could always register for an account and buy a $6 ship skin, that gives you backer status for any future "freebies" given away.

Caporegime
It's more pay-to-own or pay-to-have than win but I understand why people would assume those throwing money at their screen will have an advantage because frankly on day one they will, they'll have the ships.

They'll also have the storage, running costs and crew costs though right from the off. No point trying to fly a behemoth on your own, it's not Eve Online, you need a crew and those need to be paid for! That guy starting out in the little trader will have very low running costs in comparison and even short term the "time rich/cash poor" will run ahead as always.

It comes down to faith in the developer to keep the game balanced, there's going to be a monthly cap on how much "in-game" money can be purchased and they have said that once the game is out, there's no more buying pledge ships like we have been doing so - no reason they oculdn't back out of that later though. Everything is subject to change.

If in doubt wait, you don't really miss out on much now anyway by not backing as they've stopped doing stretch goals, probably ran out of ideas for them :( but heck you could always register for an account and buy a $6 ship skin, that gives you backer status for any future "freebies" given away.

What's the game play like?

Tbh I only really found out about this the other day.

I miss having a game with friends online Tbh mostly just do a bit of random bc2 or single player I miss coop and team work

Soldato
I tried ED again last night, SO BORINGGGGG. Literally, flew around for a bit, did a bounty mission. Handed it in. Done, so bored.

It's just instance after instance after instance.

So please, people, pleaseeee tell me this will be better? I don't need trillions of stars. I want depth!

Soldato
What's the game play like?

Tbh I only really found out about this the other day.

I miss having a game with friends online Tbh mostly just do a bit of random bc2 or single player I miss coop and team work

Right now?

There's not much to do. The big MMO part is pretty far away, like a year+

You can dog fight against other people, fight waves of enemy NPC ships, race and that's about it.

Its kinda fun to mess around in, but its not much of a game at the moment.

Caporegime
Right now?

There's not much to do. The big MMO part is pretty far away, like a year+

You can dog fight against other people, fight waves of enemy NPC ships, race and that's about it.

Its kinda fun to mess around in, but its not much of a game at the moment.

Yeah I know it's not our for ages. I just mean how's it shaping up compared to most early access games?

Soldato
Well, the last few months have been slow. Whilst I'm sure work is being done, there hasn't been much to show for it officially until the gamescon thing a few days ago.

There was a big leek a few months ago that showed TONS of stuff they have been working on but not released to the public, so stuff is being done, there are just keeping it under wraps.

Social module will be out end of this month. That's just walking around, interacting with other real life players. Looks pretty, its not exactly going to be much of a timesink though lol.

The end of next month we will apparently finally get the first person shooter module. Though we we told it was only a few weeks away months ago, so we'll see lol. That should be fun I think. It should be a fully fuctioning first person shooter with a few extra modes too.

Multi crew ships will come in then. So should combine FPS with dogfighting in that you can board the ships which sounds cool.

It'll probably be pretty slow for a while then. The single player campaign I think is officially slated for the end of this year? But I think most people dont believe that lol.

Then we will be waiting for the MMO Alpha.

Sounds pessamistic, but I am actually exited for it, I just think its going to take a while for it to all come together.

Soldato

If it's not a bitter grind like WoT, WT and the balancing and the destruction of the ships are done right, this system of funding and in game currency buy, should be more than ok. Most people probably believe it will be like a pain to go from a lower tier ship, all the way to a more expensive ones based on current funding prices.

Soldato
I tried ED again last night, SO BORINGGGGG. Literally, flew around for a bit, did a bounty mission. Handed it in. Done, so bored.

It's just instance after instance after instance.

So please, people, pleaseeee tell me this will be better? I don't need trillions of stars. I want depth!
This is the exact reason I'm waiting for this over ED.

While it's great in theory, ED is very shallow.

Soldato
OP
I enjoy the combat in Arena commander more than I do in Elite: Dangerous, it's still got a small area. Racing is surprisingly good fun too although I haven't tried it multiplayer yet, it is pretty popular though as there are leaderboards etc. I'm not bashing Elite: Dangerous here, I just prefer the style of combat in SC thus far, it's more about situation awareness of not only your ships but the items around you, typically you don't get the same sort of challenge in Elite Dangerous unless you're fighting INSIDE the asteroid belts. It opens up a lot of amusing tactical options :D

You can now get loaner ships by playing the Arena commander modules so you can tryout some other ships before pledging or melting/changing your ship.

It's shaping up nicely, you can leave your ship and wander around whilst in free flight mode, just wish they'd get TrackIR support up and running properly as that'd massively improve it for me personally.

Soldato
OP
If it's not a bitter grind like WoT, WT and the balancing and the destruction of the ships are done right, this system of funding and in game currency buy, should be more than ok. Most people probably believe it will be like a pain to go from a lower tier ship, all the way to a more expensive ones based on current funding prices.

That's very true mate, grind is what I hope we avoid and I've seen some awesome Aurora pilots who take on Hornets regularly so it's not all about having the best gear, you need to know how to use it. Must admit I've died quite a few times to Aurora pilots in my Mustang Delta, usually because I'm too busy chasing someone else :D I do miss my Aurora space coffin.

Soldato
OP
It was OK at 1080P eyefinity on my 7950/3570K but they improved performance a fair bit. I can't quite run it at 4K on a 980/3570K but it's pretty comfortable at lower res. They haven't done a great deal of optimisation yet tbh.

Here's a comparison at 1080P/three screens (1080x5760) between the two I did a few months ago:

Shows part of the hangar module plus some Arena commander flight, although only parts I could accurately replicate between the two, not actual combat)

Last edited:
Associate
The Gamescom demo machines were loaded with a 390x, maybe its a bit pricey for everyone but IMO thats not an unreasonable GPU to be using when showing off the game to an audience, and theres no denying it looked absolutely stunning too.

Add in optimisation, API improvements, future hardware gains etc. Theres plenty to be found still, and its visually impressive already.

Also, i'd expect a decent amount of grind, but provided the grind is enjoyable, then there shouldnt be any problems with that. Also, they've said that buying the ship is about 1/4 of the battle. It'd be like going to a car dealership today, then taking it to the race track tomorrow and expecting it to compete with race tuned cars. It'll come down to skill, upgrades, setup and style/tactics.
Grind isnt always a bad thing though, it gives you goals to work towards, when its a problem is when the grind is implemented to stretch the game out when you'd otherwise have stopped playing because its a poor game. I'd have no problem working my ass off trying to save up for an Idris if i was enjoying doing the stuff along the way.

Associate
Dogfighting mode is free to try until the 19th August for those who still haven't tried it out and would like to.

Last edited:
Associate
I enjoy the combat in Arena commander more than I do in Elite: Dangerous, it's still got a small area. Racing is surprisingly good fun too although I haven't tried it multiplayer yet, it is pretty popular though as there are leaderboards etc. I'm not bashing Elite: Dangerous here, I just prefer the style of combat in SC thus far, it's more about situation awareness of not only your ships but the items around you, typically you don't get the same sort of challenge in Elite Dangerous unless you're fighting INSIDE the asteroid belts. It opens up a lot of amusing tactical options :D

You can now get loaner ships by playing the Arena commander modules so you can tryout some other ships before pledging or melting/changing your ship.

It's shaping up nicely, you can leave your ship and wander around whilst in free flight mode, just wish they'd get TrackIR support up and running properly as that'd massively improve it for me personally.

What's the issue with track IR mate seems to work ok for me I just use an Elite profile that can be found on the Pagan Elite thread.

Back
Top Bottom