******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
If you all think the small ships are bad Hornet/sabre ect, Try a damn connie :eek:

They had it right when they first released AC.

Am not saying who am blaming about the changes!

Soldato
Hi guys I am thinking of getting this, which starter pack is best?

Are you after just bare minimum to get in ?
Are you wanting SQ42 as well ?

Edit

Basic access to PU /AC

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-SC-Starter-Holiday-Warbond-Edition

If you want SQ42 aswell

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Combo

It's dependant on what you want to spend as well.

Am sure one of the others will explain it better than me ;)

Last edited:
Associate
The problem is now everyone is sliding about at 500m/s. its comical in Battle Royal, no one has any control of their ship, no one, its just a mass of people in ships going in all directions at all angles at high speed.

Al they have to do is make the ships more responsive, much tighter handling, that way you get much tighter battles, less jousting.
CiG seem to be obsessed with weak handling, its insane at times, sliding sideways or backwards for so long and so far you sail into out of bounds after 20 seconds of trying to get the ship to stabilise.

It seems to me CiG just don't get it and there not really listening.

I've read arguments justifying the weak acceleration on the basis that the ship would be pulling too many Gs for the pilot to handle, and our pilots would be constantly blacking out. But the way CIG have implemented this mechanic seems inconsistent to me, as using the afterburner you can pull 20Gs but don't black out at all.

I want the game flight model to be as physically accurate as possible, as promised in the original kickstarter pitch, with full control of decoupled flight (which seems to have been broken in this iteration.) Adjustment of pilot tolerances for high G manoeuvres is something I'm willing to accept for fun, physically accurate gameplay, with tight responses from ships that are designed for racing/ dog fighting. Without trying out other ships I won't make broad brush comments on handling, but I wouldn't mind my Sabre being able to adjust vector with a smidge more authority. Maybe the answer is to increase the strength of boost?

I would love to hear the opinions of highly skilled pilots/ racers on this flight model, and whether they agree the skill ceiling has been lowered. I've been playing around with my controls tonight to optimise for constantly using the afterburner. Gonna try to give it another go tomorrow.

Caporegime
Realism in games never works, unless what you actually want is an actual flight simulator trying to stick to reality stops you making a game that works as a form of entertainment because realities of the laws of physics simply get in the way.

If travelling at 500m/s and want to change direction you're going to travel 15KM before you have stabilised the new direction, therefore your combat range is measured in KM, not Metres.

So in reality you only have one option if what you are trying to achieve is the close combat they are trying to achieve to make it fun (their own words) then speed cannot be more than 50M/s.

Alternatively....... stuff the laws of physics, stuff realism, its set 800 years in the future, its Science Fiction, Science Fact says one cannot travel faster than light, there is no sound in space, the fact is to get about in space in the way these games portray we are travelling at millions of times the speed of light, no exaggeration.

Lets stop pretending we can cherry pick reality and make it entertaining, once we have done that we can make the game fun.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like the fact their going for realism regards physics, though like humbug has said, it can go to far.

I mean, lets be honest, it would also be a rather quiet game if it was too real :p

Anywho, Who's up for a bash tonight then ? 9 ish!

Last edited:
Associate
Are you after just bare minimum to get in ?
Are you wanting SQ42 as well ?

Edit

Basic access to PU /AC

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-SC-Starter-Holiday-Warbond-Edition

If you want SQ42 aswell

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Combo

It's dependant on what you want to spend as well.

Am sure one of the others will explain it better than me ;)

thanks for the reply and the info,

Any preference to which ship is better?

Also when the game is released do you get absolutely everything if you back it now?

Caporegime
I like the fact their going for realism regards physics, though like humbug has said, it can go to far.

I mean, lets be honest, it would also be a rather quiet game if it was too real :p

Anywho, Who's up for a bash tonight then ? 9 ish!

I'm up for it :)

thanks for the reply and the info,

Any preference to which ship is better?

Also when the game is released do you get absolutely everything if you back it now?

They are the same ship but with one of the packages you also get the stand alone single player game Squadron 42

Once the game is released; the way it works is you earn money in an in-game economy, with that you buy all that you need and want, including ships, what ship you pledge with now get's converted into that in-game currency or you simply get to keep the ship.

The only thing that's separate of all that is the stand alone single player Squadron 42 game.

Package - Aurora MR Star Citizen + Squadron 42 Combo £57
It includes this

The ship alone

Package - Aurora MR Star Citizen £33

My advice is spend that bit more and get SQ42 with it, its going to be a great game IMO.

If you decide to buy use my referral code, it will get you $5 worth of in-game credit.

STAR-XRF3-YNZ5

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You'll keep whatever insurance the Aurora came with.

LTI isn't a big deal though so even if it's a 3 month insurance package remember that:

1. LTI is exactly the same as Standard hull insurance (SHI) without the recurring cost.
2. Any changes made to the ship aren't covered by LTI or SHI, they have to insured on their own.
3. Doesn't cover cargo.
4. You'll likely struggle to leave a hangar without SHI as there will be layers of reminders to prevent you losing a ship permanently.
5. Game time counts down at around 1 in-game day for 2 hours (subject to change, this is info from 2014). As insurance only counts down when ships are in use you'll have this much use based on the amount of insurance you get free with the ship in actual gameplay time with that ship:

1 month insurance = 60 hours (30 in game days x 2)
3 month insurance = 180 hours
6 months insurance = 360 hours
1 years insurance = 720* hours
2 years insurance = 1440* hours
3 years insurance = 2880* hours
4 years insurance = 5760* hours

(*approx)

Remember this is when that ship is in use, if it's sitting in a hangar it doesn't count down insurance time.

^^I haven't worked this out just for this reply, I've been pondering making an LTI related video as I'm a bit sick of people obsessing over it, it's being hyped by CIG as a marketing tool when it's really just a tiny bonus and wont' help much at all at release.

I'm going to correct myself on this having looked into it and as part of my research for the next video I'm putting out.

From the horses mouth so to speak. Standard hull insurance (SHI) does not run down as I mentioned above. Things changed in 2014 and Chris Roberts himself stated that (paraphrased):

Ship insurance runs down at in-game time. So if you have 3 months insurance on your ship, fly it and shelve it. Then come back in 4 "in-game" months the insurance on that ship has now run out.

Few things to consider:

1. SHI is still going to be relatively cheap. If you've played WoW or most MMORPGs think of it as similar to getting a weapon repaired at a local smithy. Similar "hurts a lot to start with but once you've got some money it's fairly meaningless".

2. This boosts the arguable value of LTI considerably compared to how I'd considered it in the past. It's still far from a game changer and LTI still won't cover cargo, crew, modifications

3. Due to the change on SHI it means it'll run out faster than anticipated, so that cost is going to hit earlier.

4. 1 month "in game time" is currently thought to be around 3 "real" days (at 2 real hours per game day). So a 3 month insurance starter ship will likely run out of insurance in the persistent universe in around 9 "real" days.

This new information comes from 10 For the Chairman episode 28, at around 14:30 in.

Associate
I'm really craving a better ship that the crappy aurora MC but the prices at astronomical (pun) looking at the Andromeda but its over £200 will the sales yield any discount on this or is it only likely to be mere ££s?

Soldato
OP
Sales tend not to mean reduced prices oddly - it's typically "rarer" ships, although you might as well wait to get them in-game tbh.

You can always borrow someone elses (steal it) or log on when there's a few OCUKers around to give you a shot or even rent one with REC (gained playing Arena commander public matches and Star Marine).

Caporegime
I'm really craving a better ship that the crappy aurora MC but the prices at astronomical (pun) looking at the Andromeda but its over £200 will the sales yield any discount on this or is it only likely to be mere ££s?

What about the Taurus? its what i have at the moment, Its cheaper than the Andromeda and because its not fight ready you get an Andromeda and Hornet F7C loaners.

Or the Freelancer is a good versatile ship and cheaper again.

The Hornet F7C is a good combat ship, again this is one of the ships you get as a loaner for the Taurus.

Or for less money the Avenger Titan is also a good ship with cargo.

Associate
Sales tend not to mean reduced prices oddly - it's typically "rarer" ships, although you might as well wait to get them in-game tbh.

You can always borrow someone elses (steal it) or log on when there's a few OCUKers around to give you a shot or even rent one with REC (gained playing Arena commander public matches and Star Marine).

You cant use them in the PU though can you?

Associate
What about the Taurus? its what i have at the moment, Its cheaper than the Andromeda and because its not fight ready you get an Andromeda and Hornet F7C loaners.

Or the Freelancer is a good versatile ship and cheaper again.

The Hornet F7C is a good combat ship, again this is one of the ships you get as a loaner for the Taurus.

Or for less money the Avenger Titan is also a good ship with cargo.

Wow thats still £144 for something digital :D

Think i'll wait for the game to launch and see how they handle pricing then something tells me if they have gotten away with charging so much initially then they wont drop much drastically!

Oh well i'll stick to stealing ships and dying as soon as i open the cargo bays :o

Soldato
As far as i'm aware Ships will not cost you real money once the game is released, you earn in-game currency for that and other things.

Paying real money for ships now is just you backing the project.

This is what i believe is the case as well once the game releases there will be no pledge store other than basic game packages IE : Auroras ( they will one day block out the sun )

Associate
This is what i believe is the case as well once the game releases there will be no pledge store other than basic game packages IE : Auroras ( they will one day block out the sun )

Thats good to know now i'll start saving those endless ICC mission UEC credits think I'm upto 5003 :D

Back
Top Bottom