******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
think how much fun that will be when the game gets expended and they decide hours of traveling time is a good idea.
Hutton Orbital springs to mind from another game...... ;)

Yes, very.... they also added hover mode, and testers immediately found that landing was a problem because you can't see what's below you, because when you dip the nose down to have a look the ship shoot's forward and you crash.

also harking back to elite... you complaint here sounds like one which FD have solved and maybe CIG could copy.

when you are in VTOL and get close to the ground, a holographic representation of your ship and its immediate surroundings could help.

I am definitely in the "not playing yet and waiting till more finished" but i must admit i am actually hoping it "feels" like it is trying to be a simulator rather than an arcade space shooter (even if a lot of it is fudged)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mike, many of us play Elite or did. I'd be happy with Elite's method of showing landing etc. Currently SC annoys me with it's lean towards making the game too much like a chore to play by comparison.

Soldato
Mike, many of us play Elite or did. I'd be happy with Elite's method of showing landing etc. Currently SC annoys me with it's lean towards making the game too much like a chore to play by comparison.
Sure, some forums - thankfully not here by the looks of it - it seems to be when mentioning SC in an ED thread, or ED in and SC thread is a bit like lighting the touch paper.

It is a shame really given both games could learn a lot from each other (whilst still keeping their individuality).

I happily backed both....... Alas for me neither game is really developing in a direction that i expected when backing, funnily enough, a game i didnt back and at launch I was incredibly glad i didnt buy is looking like it may end up being a better fit for me.................. NMS. My problem with NMS I need to get over is the art style. I would miss the gritty realism of ED and SC (oh and the flight model..... infact the more i think about it the more i am thinking maybe not the game for me) after all, we need a hybrid of all of them :) ).

(X4 is of course on my radar but only if they add VR, if they do THAT will be the game for me i think)

@Raumarik I am definitely an Elite Fanboy, I fully admit it, but even worse than that these days on their forums i am a salty one...... at one point i got really argumentative about design decisions... but am at that point now of almost accepting it. The game aint never gonna be the game in the DDF which I backed.

SC I am less invested in, both financially, and certainly emotionally... therefore i am actually more likely to be satisfied with what ever they deliver and may end up happier for it over all.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fanboys on both sides tbh. I like both, prefer SC but elite might win me over with space legs especially if multiplayer interaction is improved.

ED will get installed again when it gets its space legs.

Star Citizen is already a pretty good game even with it's problems and lack of content, having said that i can find more to do in Star Citizen than i can in ED which says a lot about ED, it feels very grindy and constrained, Star Citizen has so much potential to be a fantastic game but it still needs a lot of work, what it need's is server meshing, that's what's holding it all back.

Soldato
player interaction is what sets SC on another level just now.. better server meshing etc will keep improving that

I guess i am a dinosaur but personally other than a bit of co-op with real life mates, i would much rather play without other players.

VR though is the main thing i personally think SC is crying out for... once you get used to sitting inside your space ship it is hard (impossible for me) to go back to a screen.

Man of Honour
dinosaur-computer.jpg

Caporegime
I'm going to have myself a little rant....

So they have decided they are trying to shoehorn features in too fast and with that the end up broken and "not enjoyable".

As a remedy they are going to extend the large feature patches from every 3 months to every 6 months to give them more time to work on those features, they are still going for 3 month releases but its in a Tick-Tock sort of way, Big feature patch, 3 months later a small patch and then 3 months another big feature patch....

Good Grief!!!!

I know what this is from, in the last patch they added a feature call "Hover Mode" it caused a lot of upset because no one asked for it, no one wanted it and its just awful, when you take your ship down close to the surface it switches into the Hover Mode, it basically becomes like a Helicopter, you manoeuvre by tilting the ship in different directions, push the nose down to go forward, tilt to the right to go right ecte.... and you're supposed to land using this system, which on open ground is difficult enough but in a hanger is ridiculous, you can't see the hanger floor, you have to tilt the ship to see what is below and even around you, in a tight walled space when you do that the ship of course moves and you crash it into the ####### wall!

How many months of work hours have they wasted on this crap no one asked for when the old method of just flying and landing it as if it was suspended in space worked perfectly?

While with all of that going on and other useless "features" like it the game still has very limited actual content, in the form mission givers ecte..

Instead of just cutting back on these "features" and filling the game with missions to complete they are going to slow the development to better polish the features, as if "Hover Mode" is simply a problem of not not being polished enough.

Right here i was looking to add one or two "Hover Mode Gone Wrong" Montage Videos, there were a lot of them when it first came in... but it seems they have all disappeared from Youtube, or at least they are not in 10 pages of Google search results and all the reddit posts with such titles mysteriously don't connect to Riddit's servers... hhmmm?????

Caporegime
The Elite Dangerous landing system was perfect. No need to make change for changes sake. Sounds like someone high up wanted it and told them just to do it.

Right, if you just imagine that when stationary your VTOL thrusters will suspend you, use the main engines to move forward and lateral thrusters for directional, use down thrust to reduce VTOL thrust to gently plop you down.

Absolutely no need for all this complex gyroscopic manoeuvring.

Back
Top Bottom