** Official ** Summer 2010 Transfer Thread - Signings, Sightings and Rumor's in Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Not really a transfer, but hardly worthy of a thread since no-one will care, but looks like Southampton's new boss will be Nigel Adkins.

Very good manager, has done wonders with Scunthorpe. Bit of a risk him stepping down a league and into the problem club that is Southampton, but they obviously have the potential to be bigger than Scunny, so I can see the appeal.

Theo's out for 6 weeks apparently.

Funny really, if this thread wasn't here, where would I put this news.:p
I dunno, given the state of all these fixtures, I think there's easily scope for a "Players injured in stupidly-timed international games" :p

Soldato
Well there's a bit of a kicker. Bit silly of Southampton I'd say. All Adkins wanted was for Scunny to be compensated for losing him. Not like managers are particularly expensive to "buy".

What's even worse is they'll probably get Brown now. :D

Associate
Happened ages ago Cliffy, he's had a player profile on Young Guns for over a year. Our South American head scout Sandro Orlandelli tied up the deal when he was 16, but Brazilian players aren't allowed to move abroad until they're 18, hence he's only coming now.

He's one of these hyped Brazilian kids that are full of tricks and pace, but there's never any way of knowing whether they'll flop or cope with the move abroad and succeed. Hopefully it's the latter...

Soldato
Currently we only own 65% of him. We get the other 35% in Jan. He's played a fair bit in the pre season games for the reserves.

We should actually see him straight away unlike 3 years after he signed that we did with Vela

Associate
Currently we only own 65% of him. We get the other 35% in Jan. He's played a fair bit in the pre season games for the reserves.

We should actually see him straight away unlike 3 years after he signed that we did with Vela

well there's no guarantee he'll get a work permit, it's notoriously hard for Brazilians as the standard of the national team is so high; to qualify automatically for a permit they need to have played in something like 75% of the national team's games in the year, which is obviously completely unrealistic for an unknown kid.

Instead you rely on making an appeal and proving to a panel of immigration officers that the player is a 'special talent' - the precise definition of which I am unsure on, but it is subjective and can go either way unfortunately. You're relying on him getting references from respected coaches and maybe even a demonstration of his skill, I don't know.

edit: ah yes, I checked, you have to demonstrate that the player is "able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in the UK." God knows how, lol

This was the problem with Vela - he hadn't featured heavily for Mexico at that point, and we didn't manage to prove he was a 'special talent', so we had to loan him to Spanish clubs for the first few years where it is easier for South American players to get permits.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which 65%? I mean, it's not like really needs his hands if he's an outfield player, is it? I don't see why we should stump up cash for frivolous extras like arms on a player, if we don't have to.

Tell them we'll take the 65% we currently own right now, and let them keep his arms if they kick up a fuss. Job done, money saved, no need to thank me Arsene. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom