*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
There was a bug in the controller that caused some 1GbE connections to show as 100Mbps but it was actually running at 1GbE. Can you test and see what the transfer speeds are?
I had that a few times, usually on AP's suddenly showing as 100FDX. Seems to have stopped now and hasn't happened for a few months, as above though, rebooting seemed to fix it which is what led me to think it was more software than hardware related.

Soldato
I had one of my APs showing as 100FDX and thought I'd damaged a cable running a new one adjacent. Turns out it came back onto 1000FDX with a reboot and has been fine since.

Associate
I thought the cable was faulty, which I changed, the fault continued and I thought the AP was at fault. When it progressed to other AP's I concluded it was a software fault. Speeds didn't seem to be impacted by it all.

Soldato
I've seen the controller report prot speeds incorrectly at the switch end and AP end. It'll also occasionally insist that my Pi is connected at 1Gbps despite it not having a 1Gbps port.

Check the LED's on the switch port, if they look correct then ignore the controller.

Soldato
I've just bought a subterranean bar. Any experience on whether I should just add an AP to the current router or would going for a solution from BT or Virgin for business be better.

I want customers to have access to free wifi. But not our network that we need for the ePos and card payments. So could use a guest network.

BB buyer can send me a AP already setup so plug and play and I can add it to my existing cloud controller.

Soldato
Turning on a guest network is as easy as ticking the box in the controller.

The potential issue you have is GDPR.

I’m really not a fan of BB’s “free” hosted controller. By definition you’re at their mercy if they decide to charge for or withdraw their service. It works, and that’s enough for most people. Personally, I prefer to host my own controllers locally.

Soldato
https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/comparison/

Usg is erl3.

Er4 and Er6p are out already. Once the firmware matures, they're bound to make new usg.

This has been EXTENSIVELY discussed and the issue with the USG is that it’s sold as a “security” device. That means it has to run more than just a firewall and that’s where Chris Buechler is supposed to come in. Obviously, he’s one of the people behind pfSense but he’s only made a tiny impact on the USG in the 2 years he’s been with UBNT.

The problem with the USG as it stands is twofold. Firstly, the firmware/Controller side of things (software) was shockingly badly developed initially and the scuttlebutt on the various forums and chat rooms is that he’s rewriting the whole thing from scratch. Certainly, there have been major changes under the skin and it’s pretty obvious that UBNT aren’t rolling out any new big features in the near future. Secondly, the hardware is properly ancient. The USG-4P will just about do a 330/50 BT FTTP or 350/20 Virgin line at full speed with IPS/IDS switched on. The USG-3P will cover a BT VDSL 76Mbps connection with IPS/IDS running but if you couple that with any other process eg. QOS - it fairly quickly slows you down. That’s not really good enough any more. The ER-4 and ER-6P are faster than the USG-4P but they’re not fast enough to run a 1Gbps Line with IPS/IDS switched on and that rules them out as the basis for the next USG base model. The USG-XG-8 is a true powerhouse of a router, but you can’t buy one. The USG-XG-8 has been a bit of a PR disaster for UBNT when they apparently underpriced it at $2500 thinking no-one would buy it, and when folks did, UBNT lost money on it and pulled it off sale apparently. Not to mention the fact that you couldn’t actually use the 8 ports as multi-WAN doesn’t work properly.

UBNT will have something in development but it’s probably going to be an XG-Line device eg. a USG-XG-2 or USG-XG-4 and it won’t be a cheap product like the ER-4. £350-£500 is what I’d reckon. But it will be a proper pfSense competitor and run 1Gbps at full line speed with everything turned on.

Caporegime
The easiest way to find out if its a bad AP is just to plug it straight into your PoE switch/injector with a short cable and see if comes up as 100 Mb still.
Hmm interestingly enough, when I plug in one of my Unifi Cameras, the WAP gets downgraded to 10/100.

Can't for the life of me fathom out why. Nowhere near maxing out the switch power draw.

Caporegime
I had that a few times, usually on AP's suddenly showing as 100FDX. Seems to have stopped now and hasn't happened for a few months, as above though, rebooting seemed to fix it which is what led me to think it was more software than hardware related.
They're definitely 10/100 speeds.

Caporegime
Ok I think it could be my switch :(.

Every time I plug a poe device in, the WAPs (2 of them) go down to 10/100. One of them has even failed adoption(??) now, according to the unifi UI, not that I was adopting it of course..eugh.

Soldato
Just joining this thread as I'm most likely going down the USG or Edgerouter X route after several people suggested I should get one. To be honest, I'm not much of a networking enthusiast and more of a networking beginner but I can get my way around a CPE class equipment like Netgear, Asus etc but a bit fed up of the poor quality at a premium price.

Now I'm just stuck on deciding which way to go down equipment wise.

I like the way the Unifi stuff all links together in the controller and it is all done there, But I like the functionality and web based access gui of the edgerouter. The passthrough PoE is also a thumbs up too. Oh, decisions decisions!!

Back
Top Bottom