*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Decided i'm going to go this route instead of the mesh Orbi gear, too many dodgy sounding reviews for my liking.

So is it best to use 2 of these one on each floor of a house, or will one along with the ISPs router be okay, router downstairs AP upstairs?

Also which ones to go with whats the difference with them all.

Associate
Been thinking of picking up the Pro AP. The whole PoE thing makes me nervous, as I've never dealt with it before.

I've seen some very confusing articles which say it uses the unused pairs in cat5e...but gigbit uses them all. Also saying you MUST use cat6. And that some older devices might get fried!

If I get the injector, does it just act as a PSU for the AP, basically taking in the Ethernet (plus power from the wall) and applying the power over a single connection out to the AP? Why (does?) gigabit still work if it's using two pairs for power?

Soldato
No need to be nervous about PoE. You don't have to use cat6, I'm using 5e at home and have many offices using 5e and PoE without any problems. That said, if I were starting from scratch I'd go for cat6.

If you want to read about how PoE works with gigabit ethernet then have a google for 'phantom power' where power and data are sent down the same pairs.

I'm yet to see a non PoE device get fried by being connected to a PoE switch but I'd err caution when dealing with Ubiquiti PoE as some kit uses a non standard type of PoE where is sends 24v down the cable which is different to what the 8023af/similar standards do.

Yep, the injector just acts as a power supply for the AP. You connect the LAN port on the injector to your switch, the PoE port on the injector to the ethernet port on the AP and then a power cable into the injector.

Soldato
Been thinking of picking up the Pro AP. The whole PoE thing makes me nervous, as I've never dealt with it before.

That's natural as it's different.

I've seen some very confusing articles which say it uses the unused pairs in cat5e...but gigbit uses them all. Also saying you MUST use cat6. And that some older devices might get fried!

It needs ALL the pairs, yes, but it won't fry anything. You don't need CAT6, just something with all 4 pairs conected at both ends.

If I get the injector, does it just act as a PSU for the AP, basically taking in the Ethernet (plus power from the wall) and applying the power over a single connection out to the AP? Why (does?) gigabit still work if it's using two pairs for power?

Yes, that's correct. You plug the power supply and the data cable into one side of the injector and the combined data and power comes out the other side. If you realy want to know how it works, then the link below explains it but the important thing to know if what version of PoE you need. If you buy one with the PoE injector in the box you can just use the one that came with it. Newer AP-AC-Pro units don't come with a PoE injector anymore. So make sure you get one of teh older ones. The access point is teh same but UBNT dropped the injector because supposedly people just threw them away and used a PoE switch instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

Soldato
Signals are transmitted as a voltage difference between the two wires in a pair while power is transmitted as a voltage difference between two pairs.

Soldato
Decided i'm going to go this route instead of the mesh Orbi gear, too many dodgy sounding reviews for my liking.

So is it best to use 2 of these one on each floor of a house, or will one along with the ISPs router be okay, router downstairs AP upstairs?

Also which ones to go with whats the difference with them all.

In my experience they penetrate UK floors/ceilings fine, but walls are not so great. Without seeing your home layout it’s really hard to recommend anything. If you want the ultimate home setup with 4x4 MuMiMo then you want an HD unit. The new HD Nano is the sweet spot on price/performance at the moment and is effectively the best you’ll see for a few years yet. If you have the cash, buy the HD Nano units.

The AP-AC-Lite and AP-AC-LR are 2x2 MiMo Access Points and they’ll handle all current clients just fine at the slower transmission rates. The LR has a more sophisticated (sensitive) receiver array so it works better over longer distances with weak transmitter devices like mobile phones and tablets. For budget installs I would always recommend the AP-AC-LR.

The AP-AC-Pro in theory sits between the two as it’s a 3x3 MiMo Access Point. The problem with 3x3 is that the instant you connect a 1x1 or 2x2 device to the access point, all the other devices drop back to 2x2 at best. The 4x4 HD Nano can handle 3x3 and 2x2 at the same time. So for me the Pro is not a unit I would recommend unless it’s really cheap or you have only 3x3 devices.

Prices reflect the theoretical performance rather than the actual so;

AP-AC-Pro is £125-ish
AP-AC-HD Nano is £150-ish
AP-AC-LR is 100-ish
AP-AC-Lite is £80-ish

You can also get in-wall versions for mounting on the wall rather than the ceiling and there is a “mesh” version as well although they all mesh if that’s what you want. The reality of the install is it’s necessary to provide a Network cable for power so why would you mesh it?

Man of Honour
Anyone have the 16XG switch? If so, do you get 10GBit from all of the copper ports? I need to plug 3 ESXi hosts in and then one uplink.

The SFP+ ports will connect to my NAS (QNAP). Anyone know of any DAC cables that will work between the switch and the Intel card that the QNAPs use?

Soldato
Anyone have the 16XG switch? If so, do you get 10GBit from all of the copper ports? I need to plug 3 ESXi hosts in and then one uplink.

The SFP+ ports will connect to my NAS (QNAP). Anyone know of any DAC cables that will work between the switch and the Intel card that the QNAPs use?

As long as you have a Rev 11 or later switch you’ll have no problems getting 10GbE connections working. I use the genuine UBNT DACs with QNAP TS-831X NAS units and they work just fine.

Man of Honour
As long as you have a Rev 11 or later switch you’ll have no problems getting 10GbE connections working. I use the genuine UBNT DACs with QNAP TS-831X NAS units and they work just fine.
Cheers. I’ve ordered the switch and some cheap (£25) DAC cables off Amazon. The reviews say they work fine so we will see. I’ve also ordered a 10Gb PCI card for my NAS. Should hopefully all play nice together.

Edit, realised the official ones are both cheaper and available in the UK, so I've cancelled and reordered elsewhere.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
How loud is the 16xg ?

It's not silent but its also not as loud as the US-24-250W. The only problem with the US-16-XG is they use 30mm fans so modding it will bit a bit more difficult than the ones which accept the common 40mm.

I'd say if its going in a cupboard you probably won't hear it.

Back
Top Bottom