*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Man of Honour
I have no idea tbh, probably not. Thought it might be beneficial for QoS however tbh its now only me that really uses the internet but currently whenever I want to game I turn my torrenting machine off. Then when I stop gaming I turn it back on again. I just thought with QoS I could keep on torrenting whilst gaming.

TP Link TL-SG1008P powers my UAP AC Pro without issue. You don't really need a managed switch at home, certainly not if you don't know if you need one or not.

Caporegime
Plenty fast enough https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2017/02/edgerouter-x-vs-edgerouter-lite-google-fiber-speed-tests/

Yes you could add a POE switch at a later date no problem.

so ER-X and Ubiquiti UniFi AP, AC PRO then? i'm going to go with the pro as I know what I'm like. if i get the lite i'll be wondering how good the pro is and end up buying it 2 months later anyway.

do I need anything else? like the USG? i see that they also do consumer products which are plug and play

https://amplifi.com/

i take it there is no point considering that as it's not as powerful and is more expensive?

Soldato
so ER-X and Ubiquiti UniFi AP, AC PRO then? i'm going to go with the pro as I know what I'm like. if i get the lite i'll be wondering how good the pro is and end up buying it 2 months later anyway.

do I need anything else? like the USG? i see that they also do consumer products which are plug and play

https://amplifi.com/

i take it there is no point considering that as it's not as powerful and is more expensive?

It's a mesh system, for people that aren't in a position to use proper AP's and it does not seem to get that good of reviews unless they have improved it with firmware revisions. Why would you need anything else if you have the ER-X? Unless you want to be fully Unifi integrated.

Soldato
TP Link TL-SG1008P powers my UAP AC Pro without issue. You don't really need a managed switch at home, certainly not if you don't know if you need one or not.

Not sure exactly how it works when using all Ubiquity kit, but I had to get a managed switch in order to route VLANs from PfSense to my Ubiquiti AP in order to get a guest WiFi network.

Associate
Hi All

I'm new to ownership and after purchasing a Ubiquiti AP AC Pro and a Lite on order

Both units are to replace a pair of Airport extremes (old and New)

So far it's all a bit overwhelming with the level of information and configuration options.

I'm looking for advice to upgrade the wired part of my home network to the same level as the Wifi part, preferably using the Ubiquiti software to configure and monitor

I have approx 30 wired/wifi clients on my home network including a Server

Thoughts

Thanks in advance

Phil G

Soldato
A Unified Security Gateway (it's a Router) along with the APs will open up 95%+ of the options in the controller software. If you want the other 5% and want to do things like vlans you'd need the unified switch/s.

Last edited:
Caporegime
A Unified Security Gateway (it's a Router) along with the APs will open up 95%+ of the options in the controller software. If you want the other 5% and want to do things like vlans you'd need the unified switch/s.

Would I need one of these if I'm using a VM Superhub in modem only mode or will the ER-X do the same job without the fancy graphs?

Soldato
Would I need one of these if I'm using a VM Superhub in modem only mode or will the ER-X do the same job without the fancy graphs?

ER-X will do the same job, as would any other router (feature differences aside) but you won't get the graphs in the controller software.

Soldato
This might seem like a REALLY stupid question, But what extra security features did I get when I bought the USG rather than an Edgerouter Lite? I absolutely love the ability to manage everything from my cloud key but is that all the difference?

Soldato
Not at all stupid and pretty much your assessment is spot on. USG is managed through the prettier controller software and that's it. They are the same hardware under the skin. ER-X is different though.

Last edited:
Associate
This Ubiquiti stuff is addictive..

Mine is all installed in a detached house.

I was having major problems with my 2 Draytek AP902 access points, and they were struggling for bandwidth for some reason with only 4 users. After logging a ticket and waiting 2 days without reply, and being unable to resolve via the forums, I bit the bullet and decided to ditch them.

Replaced the access points with 2 Unifi AC Pro access points, and my wifi issues were instantly resolved.

I'm running the controller software on a RPI3 - works a treat.

Then I decided to replace the Draytek router with a USG - it's great having the deep packet inspection, and makes the dashboard all the prettier..

And now... bought a US-8-150W switch, just because again it integrates nicely with the dashboard, and I've powered one AP over PoE - the other is not so simple, as there isn't a direct cable run from the AP to the UniFi switch - it runs through a little 5 port unmanaged switch. Need to sort that out.

Looking at getting a couple of Hikvision cameras when funds allow (prefer to go for official UK instead of chinese so that firmware updates don't kill them) so the switch will come in handy.

So, really pleased so far - switch is expensive I guess, but the USG is great value for money, and the APs are in normal AP ballpark price wise.

Associate
UniFi is hugely addictive, I started with 1 AP and now have a usg, 48 port switch and 2 APs. Controller runs on my server 24/7 for the guest portal.

Anyone managed to get the guest portal to work with a domain name using Hostname URL? My clients can't access the portal as they need internet access, but it's restricted until they authenticate which they can't. If I add my external IP to the allowed list it works, but I have a dynamic ip from the isp

Associate
Thanks for that. I'm now slightly concerned because the Edgerouter comes with the firewall completely unconfigured. Is that the same with the USG?

No, most things are blocked out of the box. Check your ports via Shieldsup! (Google it).

Only thing I had to change to get it to pass on ShieldsUp! was to block ICMP echo (ping).

Back
Top Bottom