*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
No, most things are blocked out of the box. Check your ports via Shieldsup! (Google it).

Only thing I had to change to get it to pass on ShieldsUp! was to block ICMP echo (ping).

Excellent, just did that check and yes, it's saying that i will respond to a Ping request. From reading up it looks like the internet equivalent of trying to say good morning to everyone you meet on the tube, so I think I'll turn it off :)

Associate
Excellent, just did that check and yes, it's saying that i will respond to a Ping request. From reading up it looks like the internet equivalent of trying to say good morning to everyone you meet on the tube, so I think I'll turn it off :)

If you block ICMP on the WAN local, then the throughput dials stop working properly - they turn orange.

USG 5.5.x firmware will block ICMP echo by default, but in the meantime you can achieve the same by creating a config.properties file, and put set`config.firewall.internet.local.icmp=false' in it.

config.properties needs to go in /usr/lib/unifi/data/sites/default/config.properties

Also outbound ping still works just fine.

Hope this helps :)

Soldato
If you block ICMP on the WAN local, then the throughput dials stop working properly - they turn orange.

USG 5.5.x firmware will block ICMP echo by default, but in the meantime you can achieve the same by creating a config.properties file, and put set`config.firewall.internet.local.icmp=false' in it.

config.properties needs to go in /usr/lib/unifi/data/sites/default/config.properties

Also outbound ping still works just fine.

Hope this helps :)

Lol - yes, it helped enormously. I was just about to post saying that I turned the ping echo off and it killed my Unifi dashboard, so I'll look at the firmware update when it's available.

Thanks!

Associate
Ok I have a HG612 and a USG on order and have been reading up on how to install into my network, and it doesn't look as straight forward as I expected.

I am looking to replace my current BT HH5 which is on a fixed IP, I have a Mac Mini running OS X server, which acts as a DHCP server and DNS

Initially i would like to keeps as much of my newtwork config as poss, USG with a fixed IP and using the DHCP and DNS from the server

Advice / experiences on setting up the USG greatly appreciated

Phil G

Don
And you'd need a switch..

For an all bells and whistles Unifi set up, you need the following.

Cable or VDSL modem (£??)
Unifi Security Gateway (£100-250)
Unifi Switch (£100-550)
Unifi Access Point (£60-150)

You could do away with the switch and go for a generic gigabit switch, but you'll be missing some of the stats.

Soldato
You'd use it with the SH2 after putting it into modem mode. You'd then have to make your own arrangements for Wi-Fi.
And you'd need a switch..

For an all bells and whistles Unifi set up, you need the following.

Cable or VDSL modem (£??)
Unifi Security Gateway (£100-250)
Unifi Switch (£100-550)
Unifi Access Point (£60-150)

You could do away with the switch and go for a generic gigabit switch, but you'll be missing some of the stats.

Maybe I should have said how/where would I use it with a VM SH2
Unifi Acpro
Unifi 8port 150w POE switch
Edgeswitch lite (Should have got a Unifi switch but heyho)

So is it worth it. Not saying I NEED it as such but its gotta be better than the VM router right?
I'm running a home office with 2 laptops 2 desktops. Mobiles and tablets. Plus all the usual gadget filled house stuff.
I'm also going Voip phone over the next few months.

Plus my controller looks bare with the throughput dials blank...lol and the little message telling me I'm missing something

Associate
Ok I have a HG612 and a USG on order and have been reading up on how to install into my network, and it doesn't look as straight forward as I expected.

I am looking to replace my current BT HH5 which is on a fixed IP, I have a Mac Mini running OS X server, which acts as a DHCP server and DNS

Initially i would like to keeps as much of my newtwork config as poss, USG with a fixed IP and using the DHCP and DNS from the server

Advice / experiences on setting up the USG greatly appreciated

Phil G

Just disable DHCP on the USG, and set DNS to your server.

Personally, I have my USG set to use OpenDNS, as I can have control over traffic or block adverts etc if I so desire and clients point to the USG for DNS. I also use the USG to perform DHCP.

Soldato
Is it possible to find the password for a wireless network in the UniFi Cloud controller or only set a new one?
I've got a client who have changed their wireless password at some point, all of their devices are connected but now they cannot connect any new devices - seem to have forgotten the password.
I can obviously reset it and I have also said to the customer to look at one of the devices that connects and see if you can "show password" on it. Can I "show password" on an AP?

Soldato
Yep, you can see the current password in the controller.

Once you're logged into the controller go to settings then wireless networks. Edit the wireless network in question and the password will be blanked out. Click in the box and the password is shown.

Soldato
I'm looking to swap from a Sky Q hub/Asus RT-N66U to Ubiquiti, but not quite sure what I need, so looking for some advice please.

We've just moved house, and my current setup is just rubbish Wi-Fi from the Q hub, but I was looking to set up a network as follows :-

BT Openreach modem ➙ Dell Xeon T20 pFsense box ➙ Netgear GS108E Web Managed switch ➙ Asus RT-N66U and any wired hardware

Could I just replace the Asus with a Ubiquiti AC-Lite/AC-Pro, or would I need anything else? Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Yes you can just replace the Asus with a AP and it will work fine obviously you would have to use the POE injector to power it though. I presume pfSense will be virtualized? as the spec seems over the top.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes you can just replace the Asus with a AP and it will work fine obviously you would have to use the POE injector to power it though. I presume pfSense will be virtualized? as the spec seems over the top.

Yes, I'm going to be running a few virtual machines, including pFsense, on the Dell, definitely overkill otherwise!

Do the AC-Lite or AC-Pro come with a POE injector or would I need to buy one separately?

We're just in a reasonably small 2 story, 2 bedroom 150yr old house, is there any advantage to the Pro for me, or would a Lite do, with potential to add another one down the line if needed be? Does every AP need a wired ethernet connection, or does a second one act as a booster from the first? Thanks again.

Soldato
It's very difficult to know if 1 AP will be sufficient. I suggest getting a single AC-Lite and adding another later if necessary.

It's possible for the access points to link wirelessly but it's very, very hit and miss. I'd strongly suggest an ethernet connection for all access points.

Soldato
The injector will be in the box (unless you're buying a 5 pack).

It's very difficult to know if 1 AP will be sufficient. I suggest getting a single AC-Lite and adding another later if necessary.

It's possible for the access points to link wirelessly but it's very, very hit and miss. I'd strongly suggest an ethernet connection for all access points.

Thanks for the replies, think I'll just start out with 1 AC-Lite for now and see how that goes, if I find any dead spots, I'll buy another one for upstairs at a later date. :)

Commissario
I hadn't noticed this thread before.

I've got a UniFi AP-AC-LR and I find it a bit flakey.

The exact setup is a Netgear D7000 in my radio shack (front upstairs room) with various things plugged into it, then there's an HP Procurve 1410-8G switch directly into the Netgear with a POE injector in one of the ports to a decent length of cat5 into the UniFi AP-AC-LR which is downstairs in the back room.

It's just a bit hit and miss. People can be connected to it and suddenly they get no data transfer, it just all stops working for a few minutes and then comes back. They still have full signal, it's just well, flakey.

It's set on different WiFi channels to the Netgear but with the same name.

I'd expect this to be totally solid, no problems or issues whatsoever.

Is there anything I should be looking at or any more info I can provide?

Soldato
I have the PRO.in a 3 storey Edwardian house and the pro gives me signal at the bottom of our 100ft garden
Speedtest in the house and I get over 100mb/s over wifi

Back
Top Bottom