*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
it appears nothing on 192.168.0 is working

Edit:

I've moved everything on "0" to "1" and all is working again.

Anyone got a quick simple explanation

Essentially your devices were on a different network to your USG because as you found out your old devices were on the 192.168.0 range and your USG uses the 192.168.1 range as do all Ubiquiti Routers by default.

Soldato
Essentially your devices were on a different network to your USG because as you found out your old devices were on the 192.168.0 range and your USG uses the 192.168.1 range as do all Ubiquiti Routers by default.

You should have changed the USG to 192.168.0.1

Cheers guys. I did think of that but I'm sure the USG wouldn't have worked as it would have been on the same range as my modem (virgin sh)

At least thats how I read it.

Soldato
If you're using the USG your Virgin router should be in modem mode and all you need to avoid is the 192.168.100.0 range.

They rather sensibly configured them to use an IP that wasn't likely to collide with attached routers.

Soldato
If you're using the USG your Virgin router should be in modem mode and all you need to avoid is the 192.168.100.0 range.

They rather sensibly configured them to use an IP that wasn't likely to collide with attached routers.

Cheers mate. Like I said earlier steep learning curve I'll get there.....in the end.

Just wait until I want to set up a VPN/VLAN/or some other initials.......:D

Soldato
That is an US-8-60W switch in the photo and not an US-8-150W switch, the 150W version has 2 extra SFP ports to right of the LAN ports.

No, it's a US-8, not a US-8-60W.

The US-8-60W has 4 PoE ports whilst the US-8 has PoE passthrough on port 8 and can be powered by PoE on port 1. That's what I'm doing, powering it from one of the US-8-150W's I've already got in place.

Soldato
mattyg, you mention dual lan. Do you have it set up with LACP on your NAS and your switch?

You only want 1x IP address trunked over both ports.

The NAS will give two IP addresses.

However the reason I couldn't find the 2nd LAN was because I had disconnected it on the advice in another thread. I just reused the cable so I thought it was still connected.

I'm going to clean up my cabinet before I try anything else..

Soldato
Well, I've just taken the plunge and ordered a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE, just need to get by bum into gear now and get my pFsense server set up so I can get the Lite set up too. :)

Don
The NAS will give two IP addresses.

However the reason I couldn't find the 2nd LAN was because I had disconnected it on the advice in another thread. I just reused the cable so I thought it was still connected.

I'm going to clean up my cabinet before I try anything else..

Only connect one cable unless you're enabling LACP on the switch and NAS.

You don't want 2x ips. I told you to disconnect it in your NAS thread.

Soldato
I tend to give the clients a friendly name, 'work laptop' for example as it makes a bit more sense when looking at the DPI statistics if you have a USG.

That's a lot of devices you have there, Feek! My controller is currently showing 36 clients in total, 14 wireless and 22 wired.

Soldato
Only connect one cable unless you're enabling LACP on the switch and NAS.

You don't want 2x ips. I told you to disconnect it in your NAS thread.

It is disconnected. Has been since you suggested it in the other thread.....I'd just forgotten.

Soldato
OP
The controller is running on a Pi2 along with Pi-Hole and OpenVPN.

I've been putting off buying the Unifi controller for AGES because of the cost, but always wanted to carve it off my storage box onto something else! Genius! 2nd RaspberryPI bought that will actually have a purpose!

As much for me as anyone else but hoping to use these details to get it up and running:
http://www.lowefamily.com.au/2016/06/02/installing-ubiquiti-unifi-controller-5-on-raspberry-pi/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Quick tip, rename the hostname on the Pi before installing the Unifi controller software on it.

IE, call it 'unifi' or something other than 'raspberrypi'

Cheers - I take it the controller doesn't make it easy if you change hostname once up and running?

Back
Top Bottom