*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Went to do some tests on basis of what you suggested and getting 900+ now so prob was something VM end

Still only 300-350 WiFi but that's plenty for what I need it for

Interested in your experience and feedback after improving things as will order one for my sister-in-law before I disown her and their internet.

I may have gone a little overboard on the extra little UniFi bits :p

2024 Home Rack update

e3qG4yc.jpg

Now just replace the NAS with rackmount units and it would be perfect!

Edit: Oh and put the power at the back!

Last edited:

I’ve been looking for a rackmount unit but a lot of them are too deep as this is a 600mm Excel rack.

I like the PDU at the front as it’s easy to swap stuff and plug stuff in. That does need a bit of a tidy though.

They have released their new Ultra line

Last edited:
I’ve been looking for a rackmount unit but a lot of them are too deep as this is a 600mm Excel rack.

I like the PDU at the front as it’s easy to swap stuff and plug stuff in. That does need a bit of a tidy though.

I’ve been planning to swap my three RS815+ with an RS1221+. All of these fit my 600mm rack :)

I've just joined the club with an order of a 6E app for the house, some might say its overkill, but with all the smart plugs, bulbs, speakers, etc, i think your right. But it will last me a few years (I Hope).

What's the simplest way to manage these, the mobile app ??

I've ordered the Gateway Ultra to replace my UDR which I'll sell. I keep flooding it with my FTTP so will use the Gateway and then either a Mesh u6, u7 or u6 Pro in the office to replace the UDR.

I feel your pain, I have a 800 to replace the current 600.

Agreed on the PDU, mine are currently at the back and when swapping the rack over I will be moving to the front, if you have full access like in a DC then at the back makes sense as does rear facing switches etc in server cabs, at home where most racks are pushed into tight spots then front mounted just makes things easier.

Very nice, I've got a small 9U if I recall rack in the loft with Unifi Pro 48 Port PoE switch and a Sophos XG125R3 (pfsense atm) racked. Changes probably coming is I'll sell off the 48 port PoE switch as I don't need it really and re-fit the Cisco 24 Port PoE switch sat in a box. I've often wished I'd gone Synology rack mount solution, but I opted for a QNAP TS-873A unit with 4 x 12TB drives and 2 x 12TB spares.

Unifi Express for a family member due to the built in WiFi, but the content controls potentially for the Ultra of interest and I'd get a couple of FlexH/U6-Mesh type units to do the Wi-Fi coverage, but adds up ££ quickly. Even used FlexHd/U6-Mesh would be fine.

I feel your pain, I have a 800 to replace the current 600.

Agreed on the PDU, mine are currently at the back and when swapping the rack over I will be moving to the front, if you have full access like in a DC then at the back makes sense as does rear facing switches etc in server cabs, at home where most racks are pushed into tight spots then front mounted just makes things easier.

Unfortunately, it bolted to some fire backer board so that's a bit of a challenge. :D

I have been looking at a few NAS devices, but one keeps cropping up and its a Qnap which I have mentioned before. There is the Syno RS1221+ which is a bit old now but that may do the job.

Maybe the wrong place to post this but currently looking into a small 6U rack that is a bit smaller on the depth size.
So far I've found the Ad Tek 375mm Deep (working depth of 315mm) but this will be very tight as with a right angle kettle plug on the UDMP, It measures pretty much bang on 315mm.
Another I found was the Excel Environ WR390 but cannot find any working depth measurements.

They have released their new Ultra line

Why does the Gateway Ultra have 2.5Gbe WAN but the other ports are only 1Gb? :confused:

Interested in your experience and feedback after improving things as will order one for my sister-in-law before I disown her and their internet.

geting 700+ on WiFi most of time but can drop to 300 ish

WAN is fine, coverage from 1 unit prob as good as my 3 node Tenda mesh

overall pretty satisfied with it

Hi all,

It's been a while since i've really looked at Ubiquiti gear so just a quick brain fart check with thinking of replacing a Sky hub (FTTP; currently 500Mb service) in a three storey (approx. 1900sqft) new build with a UniFi Express -

Express would be in a central cupboard (under the stairs, smack bang in the middle of the house) next to the Huawei ONT and the DLink DSG switch, then i'm thinking of adding a UAP-AC-M-PRO (1Gb link to Express; no attic for ceiling mounting AP hence wall-mount) to the top floor in the bedroom-office for additional WiFi coverage - does anyone see an issue with that?

From what i've read, the Express should support DHCP Option 61 (i don't believe i need Sky's username/password with FTTP) either via CLI or the GUI - is that correct?

And the Express, in theory, should happily support the 900Mb service if i ever change to it?

Anything else i'm missing or other Ubiquiti hardware i should look at (it just needs to work, especially with Sky Q, and offer decent WiFi coverage so not after anything 'fancy')?

Cheers all :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it bolted to some fire backer board so that's a bit of a challenge. :D

I have been looking at a few NAS devices, but one keeps cropping up and its a Qnap which I have mentioned before. There is the Syno RS1221+ which is a bit old now but that may do the job.

QNAP NAS are ok, used many both at home and work, both desktop and rackmount, they do offer shallow depth units which would be perfect, I have never used a Synology so cant compare.

I will say though, QNAP have changed the OS quite a bit over the years, like they have let loose some UI designers, yes its nice but completely unnecessary, they do just work, although am a bit miffed about the the whole surveillance changes, they have dropped the old software and no longer support and moved to a newer setup but changed the licenses as well, luckily the old one still works but you cant transfer the licenses which would mean buying new, not ideal.

Hi all,

It's been a while since i've really looked at Ubiquiti gear so just a quick brain fart check with thinking of replacing a Sky hub (FTTP; currently 500Mb service) in a three storey (approx. 1900sqft) new build with a UniFi Express -

Express would be in a central cupboard (under the stairs, smack bang in the middle of the house) next to the Huawei ONT and the DLink DSG switch, then i'm thinking of adding a UAP-AC-M-PRO (1Gb link to Express; no attic for ceiling mounting AP hence wall-mount) to the top floor in the bedroom-office for additional WiFi coverage - does anyone see an issue with that?

From what i've read, the Express should support DHCP Option 61 (i don't believe i need Sky's username/password with FTTP) either via CLI or the GUI - is that correct?

And the Express, in theory, should happily support the 900Mb service if i ever change to it?

Anything else i'm missing or other Ubiquiti hardware i should look at (it just needs to work, especially with Sky Q, and offer decent WiFi coverage so not after anything 'fancy')?

Cheers all :)
I've found that you don't need the DHCP Option 61 on my FTTP connection, just setup DHCPv6 and it sprang into life, authenticates and run very quickly. You could use another Express or the U6 Mesh. I've got a u6 mesh stuck on top of a unit in the kitchen and that works really well and comes with a POE injector in the box.

Back
Top Bottom